Christopher A. Steele

Default Onions and Crying: which varieties make you cry the MOST

If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
chemistry that causes the sobbing )

Thanks!

Christopher A. Steele
Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +
rmg

"Christopher A. Steele" > wrote in message
om...
> If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
> onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
> varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
> chemistry that causes the sobbing )
>
> Thanks!
>
> Christopher A. Steele
> Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
> Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +

I have found (your mileage may vary) that if my knife is very sharp, the
tears are significantly reduced.

rmg

"Christopher A. Steele" > wrote in message
om...
> If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
> onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
> varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
> chemistry that causes the sobbing )
>
> Thanks!
>
> Christopher A. Steele
> Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
> Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +

I have found (your mileage may vary) that if my knife is very sharp, the
tears are significantly reduced.

rmg

"Christopher A. Steele" > wrote in message
om...
> If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
> onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
> varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
> chemistry that causes the sobbing )
>
> Thanks!
>
> Christopher A. Steele
> Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
> Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +

P.S. I realize you were asking about varieties when I wrote my previous
post. Sorry if my answer wasn't completely on-topic. I guess it was more of
a suggestion :-)

rmg

"Christopher A. Steele" > wrote in message
om...
> If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
> onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
> varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
> chemistry that causes the sobbing )
>
> Thanks!
>
> Christopher A. Steele
> Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
> Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +

P.S. I realize you were asking about varieties when I wrote my previous
post. Sorry if my answer wasn't completely on-topic. I guess it was more of
a suggestion :-)

Jess Askin

"Christopher A. Steele" > wrote in message
om...
> If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
> onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
> varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
> chemistry that causes the sobbing )

For me it's not the variety so much as the freshness. The fresher the
onion, the more I tear up.

Jess Askin

"Christopher A. Steele" > wrote in message
om...
> If I understand correctly what I've read on the Net, some varieties of
> onion are more apt to make one cry than others. I'd like to know which
> varieties are the WORST ... "cry wise." ( I already understand the
> chemistry that causes the sobbing )

For me it's not the variety so much as the freshness. The fresher the
onion, the more I tear up.

Julia Altshuler

Jess Askin wrote:

> For me it's not the variety so much as the freshness. The fresher the
> onion, the more I tear up.

I've had the exact opposite experience. It was explained to me thus:
The tearing is from the tear-making stuff in the onion getting into the
air and into your eyes. If the onion is young, the cell wall does a
good job of keeping the tear-making stuff in. If the knife is sharp,
fewer cell walls are broken so less gets into the air. If the onion is
old, the cell walls break down which equals more irritation and tears.
Anything that mashes or purees the onion will mean more tearing than
plain cutting. In addition to a sharp knife, I get a good deal of
protection from my ordinary glasses. Then I work quickly and
efficiently and cover the cut onions with plastic as soon as I can. I
skip all other hints for tear free onions.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Jess Askin wrote:

> For me it's not the variety so much as the freshness. The fresher the
> onion, the more I tear up.

I've had the exact opposite experience. It was explained to me thus:
The tearing is from the tear-making stuff in the onion getting into the
air and into your eyes. If the onion is young, the cell wall does a
good job of keeping the tear-making stuff in. If the knife is sharp,
fewer cell walls are broken so less gets into the air. If the onion is
old, the cell walls break down which equals more irritation and tears.
Anything that mashes or purees the onion will mean more tearing than
plain cutting. In addition to a sharp knife, I get a good deal of
protection from my ordinary glasses. Then I work quickly and
efficiently and cover the cut onions with plastic as soon as I can. I
skip all other hints for tear free onions.

--Lia

sf

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:05:23 -0500, "Jess Askin"
> wrote:

> For me it's not the variety so much as the freshness. The fresher the
> onion, the more I tear up.

We grew onions this year and they are real tear jerkers.
Don't know the variety, but they are yellow (brown) skinned
and huge.

sf
Katra

In article >, CJB >
wrote:

> previously in rfc, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:05:23 -0500, "Jess Askin"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> For me it's not the variety so much as the freshness. The fresher the
> >> onion, the more I tear up.

> > We grew onions this year and they are real tear jerkers.
> > Don't know the variety, but they are yellow (brown) skinned
> > and huge.
> >
> > sf
> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> I volunteer in a kitchen and once in a while we get a couple hundred pounds
> of huge yellow onions to deal with. Tears roll down my face as we trim,
> peel and chop them. These onions are very fresh. Very juicy.
>
> Some of the volunteers pour white vinegar on their cutting boards (at the
> suggestion of one of the chefs). It's supposed to help but I never bother.
> I don't mind the tears as long as they don't fall on the food.
>
> -Claudia

I'm thinking that swimming goggles would work! ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Phranken9

>> Never made a difference to me...
>> White, yellow and purple all have the same fumes.
>>
>> I solved the problem by using a fan. Turn the back of the fan to you to
>> vent off the fumes.
>>
>> Works like a charm. I finally just installed a vent fan in the kitchen
>> window.
>>

> Have you ever tried the candle trick? I haven't.

Never heard of the candle trick, but I was taught to fill my mouth
halfway with some water before making the first slice, no tears.
Renee

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:46:09 -0500, Katra
>> > wrote:
>>

>> > Never made a difference to me...
>> > White, yellow and purple all have the same fumes.
>> >
>> > I solved the problem by using a fan. Turn the back of the fan to you
>> > vent off the fumes.f
>> >
>> > Works like a charm. I finally just installed a vent fan in the kitchen
>> > window.
>> >

>> Have you ever tried the candle trick? I haven't.
>>

>> sf

> No, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has. :-)
> I've also heard to slice them underwater, but that sounds like too much
> of a PITA.

Slicing them underwater does indeed help reduce the tearing. It's not really
that much more work.

Christopher A. Steele

Thank you for all the responses. I assumed one variety of onion must
be worse than the others, but perhaps that isn't true. It also seems
to make sense that the age of the onion might affect its 'sob-istic
ability.'

> Thanks!
>
> Christopher A. Steele
> Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
> Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +

Christopher A. Steele

Thank you for all the responses. I assumed one variety of onion must
be worse than the others, but perhaps that isn't true. It also seems
to make sense that the age of the onion might affect its 'sob-istic
ability.'

> Thanks!
>
> Christopher A. Steele
> Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
> Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +

Bob (this one)

Christopher A. Steele wrote:

> Thank you for all the responses. I assumed one variety of onion must
> be worse than the others, but perhaps that isn't true. It also seems
> to make sense that the age of the onion might affect its 'sob-istic
> ability.'

Now that all the wisdom has been imparted, read what Harold McGee has
to say about the whole subject. He did actual onion experiments.

Pastorio

>>Thanks!
>>
>>Christopher A. Steele
>> Son of Col. M.J. Steele, US Army Security Agency/AGC, Fts: Devens,
>>Rucker, Lawton, OATerm, MacArther, +

GoombaP

Just hold a slice of white bread in your mouth while chopping the onions.
Make sure to have someone videotaping it, too.

"Phranken9" > wrote in message
news
>>> Never made a difference to me...
>>> White, yellow and purple all have the same fumes.
>>>
>>> I solved the problem by using a fan. Turn the back of the fan to you to
>>> vent off the fumes.
>>>
>>> Works like a charm. I finally just installed a vent fan in the kitchen
>>> window.
>>>

>> Have you ever tried the candle trick? I haven't.

> Never heard of the candle trick, but I was taught to fill my mouth
> halfway with some water before making the first slice, no tears.

GoombaP

Just hold a slice of white bread in your mouth while chopping the onions.
Make sure to have someone videotaping it, too.

"Phranken9" > wrote in message
news
>>> Never made a difference to me...
>>> White, yellow and purple all have the same fumes.
>>>
>>> I solved the problem by using a fan. Turn the back of the fan to you to
>>> vent off the fumes.
>>>
>>> Works like a charm. I finally just installed a vent fan in the kitchen
>>> window.
>>>

>> Have you ever tried the candle trick? I haven't.

> Never heard of the candle trick, but I was taught to fill my mouth
> halfway with some water before making the first slice, no tears.

baker

"GoombaP" > wrote in
:

> Just hold a slice of white bread in your mouth while chopping the
> onions. Make sure to have someone videotaping it, too.
>
> "Phranken9" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Have you ever tried the candle trick? I haven't.

>> Never heard of the candle trick, but I was taught to fill my mouth
>> halfway with some water before making the first slice, no tears.

Perhaps it's because I wear glasses, but I have never shed a tear from
slicing onions, unless I happened to touch my eye with a finger having
touched the onion. In fact, I wore contacts for many years and it didn't
happen then either.

--
It's me, Baker!

When the Chips are Down,
the Buffalo is Empty.
baker

"GoombaP" > wrote in
:

> Just hold a slice of white bread in your mouth while chopping the
> onions. Make sure to have someone videotaping it, too.
>
> "Phranken9" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Have you ever tried the candle trick? I haven't.

>> Never heard of the candle trick, but I was taught to fill my mouth
>> halfway with some water before making the first slice, no tears.

Perhaps it's because I wear glasses, but I have never shed a tear from
slicing onions, unless I happened to touch my eye with a finger having
touched the onion. In fact, I wore contacts for many years and it didn't
happen then either.

--
It's me, Baker!

When the Chips are Down,
the Buffalo is Empty.
Noam

I cut onions and scallions wearing swimming goggles (seriously) - Noam

Noam

I cut onions and scallions wearing swimming goggles (seriously) - Noam

Noam

I cut onions and scallions wearing swimming goggles (seriously) - Noam

Katra

In article >,
"Noam" > wrote:

> I cut onions and scallions wearing swimming goggles (seriously) - Noam

That sounds logical..... ;-)

K.
Katra

In article >,
"Noam" > wrote:

> I cut onions and scallions wearing swimming goggles (seriously) - Noam

That sounds logical..... ;-)

K.
PENMART01

>Katra wrote:
> "Noam" wrote:
>
>> I cut onions and scallions wearing swimming goggles (seriously) - Noam

>That sounds logical..... ;-)

Sounds more like BS... unless the goggles have a built in nose clip... you can
also hold something large in your mouth to suck on while fondling onions. hehe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon