Volfie

Default Can you freeze pineapple?

I have a huge can of chunked pineapple that I would like to divy up into
freezer bags and store for later use but does it taste the same after it's
thawed?

Can most fruits be frozen without much effect to the texture/taste?

Thx.

DRB

"Volfie" > wrote in message
> I have a huge can of chunked pineapple that I would like to divy up into
> freezer bags and store for later use but does it taste the same after it's
> thawed?
>
> Can most fruits be frozen without much effect to the texture/taste?
>
> Thx.

My guess would be a definite no on freezing pineapple. In my experience,
freezing actually effects the texture of most fruits... No fruit that I
have ever attempted to freeze has had the same texture afterwards.

PENMART01

> "Volfie"
>
>I have a huge can of chunked pineapple that I would like to divy up into
>freezer bags and store for later use but does it taste the same after it's
>thawed?
>
>Can most fruits be frozen without much effect to the texture/taste?

The fact that fruit has been canned has already altered the texture...

Search <freezing pineapple>
http://www.agen.ufl.edu/~foodsaf/he415.html

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Lorne Epp

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:53:31 -0500, "Volfie" > wrote:

>I have a huge can of chunked pineapple that I would like to divy up into
>freezer bags and store for later use but does it taste the same after it's
>thawed?

I sometimes freeze pineapple for later use in pina coladas. Since
they are going to go in a blender, texture is not an issue there, but
the flavour is good.
Katra

In article >,
Lorne Epp > wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:53:31 -0500, "Volfie" > wrote:
>
> >I have a huge can of chunked pineapple that I would like to divy up into
> >freezer bags and store for later use but does it taste the same after it's
> >thawed?
> >

> I sometimes freeze pineapple for later use in pina coladas. Since
> they are going to go in a blender, texture is not an issue there, but
> the flavour is good.

Agreed... Flavor does not suffer, just texture.
But that does not matter if you are going to be using it for cooked or
blended recipes. :-)

--
>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby >,,<

Frogleg

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:53:31 -0500, "Volfie" > wrote:

>I have a huge can of chunked pineapple that I would like to divy up into
>freezer bags and store for later use but does it taste the same after it's
>thawed?

Go ahead and freeze. It's certainly preferable to throwing it out.

>Can most fruits be frozen without much effect to the texture/taste?

No. Or rather, define "much effect." Look at the kinds of fruits in
the freezer case at your supermarket -- those will be the ones that
suffer the least damage, although commercial flash-freezing is
different from most home methods. The flavor may be good, but the
texture changes to different degrees.
Volfie

Default Thanks everyone! (was: Can you freeze pineapple?

Thanks for all the info and good advice. I'll freeze it but remember to
blend it into something else when I thaw it out.

Giselle

JLove98905

Trader Joe's sells frozen pineapple chunks. They're fine for most stuff.
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright