Dimitri

Default Blender... Counter-Top or a Good Stick...?

"zenit" > wrote in message

> At the moment, I'm using a really tired counter-top blender to make
> sauces, puree chilies, etc... I want to retire it, but I don't know
> enough about the stick blenders to make a decision... I'll never be
> cooking for more than 3 people and my blender needs are simple and
> few, with no fruit smoothies or ice crushing needed... I've looked at
> a few of the sticks on the Internet, but am still undecided about
> which way to go... From reading the reviews on Amazon, I know it's
> easy to get something that is either too noisy, too splashy, or just a
> crappy piece of gear...
>
> So, who's using which, and would you buy it again...?
>
> <! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- >
> zenit

Go to Target or Wal Mart or some such ilk. Buy the lowest priced one you
can find that plugs into a wall. Use it for a few months. If you don't like
it - go back to your blender.

I love my Braun.

Dimitri

Hahabogus

zenit > wrote in
:

> At the moment, I'm using a really tired counter-top blender to make
> sauces, puree chilies, etc... I want to retire it, but I don't know
> enough about the stick blenders to make a decision... I'll never be
> cooking for more than 3 people and my blender needs are simple and
> few, with no fruit smoothies or ice crushing needed... I've looked at
> a few of the sticks on the Internet, but am still undecided about
> which way to go... From reading the reviews on Amazon, I know it's
> easy to get something that is either too noisy, too splashy, or just a
> crappy piece of gear...
>
> So, who's using which, and would you buy it again...?
>
> <! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- >
> zenit

A stick is good for easy blending stuff like Purree soup right in the pot,
mixing up sauces. But not for making crushed ice or pulkverising spices.

perhaps you need both?

I enjoy my braun stick and my countertop Oster, but they have their
seperate strong points.
PENMART01

Hahabogus > writes:

>perhaps you need both?

'Zactly... not like basic units cost mega money... so the OP should quit trying
to rationalize usage when it's really the dollars.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jack Schidt®

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. com...

> "zenit" > wrote in message
> >
> > At the moment, I'm using a really tired counter-top blender to make
> > sauces, puree chilies, etc... I want to retire it, but I don't know
> > enough about the stick blenders to make a decision... I'll never be
> > cooking for more than 3 people and my blender needs are simple and
> > few, with no fruit smoothies or ice crushing needed... I've looked at
> > a few of the sticks on the Internet, but am still undecided about
> > which way to go... From reading the reviews on Amazon, I know it's
> > easy to get something that is either too noisy, too splashy, or just a
> > crappy piece of gear...
> >
> > So, who's using which, and would you buy it again...?
> >
> > <! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- >
> > zenit

> Go to Target or Wal Mart or some such ilk. Buy the lowest priced one you
> can find that plugs into a wall. Use it for a few months. If you don't

like
> it - go back to your blender.
>
> I love my Braun.
>
> Dimitri

Sage advice; I'd do same.

Jack Rosemary

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zenit
> wrote:
>
> So, who's using which, and would you buy it again...?
>
> <! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- >
> zenit

Braun. Yes. I don't use it often but like it when I do. I don't think
I paid more than $20 for it with the chopper thingie and cream whipper
(dud) and tall cup for something to do with it.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Jack
Schidt®" > wrote:

> Sage advice; I'd do same.
>
> Jack Rosemary

Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack . . . . (spitting chocolate bridge mix on
the screen)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Dimitri

"zenit" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:32:12 GMT,
> "Dimitri" >
> had to open a new box of zerones to say
>
> >> So, who's using which, and would you buy it again...?

> >I love my Braun.

> Which model do you have...? Some of the Brauns got raves on Amazon,
> and some of them were panned...
>
> <! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- >
> zenit

Costco about $19.99 5 or 6 years ago..

Dimitri

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:27:12 -0500, zenit >
wrote:

>At the moment, I'm using a really tired counter-top blender to make
>sauces, puree chilies, etc... I want to retire it, but I don't know
>enough about the stick blenders to make a decision... I'll never be
>cooking for more than 3 people and my blender needs are simple and
>few, with no fruit smoothies or ice crushing needed... I've looked at
>a few of the sticks on the Internet, but am still undecided about
>which way to go... From reading the reviews on Amazon, I know it's
>easy to get something that is either too noisy, too splashy, or just a
>crappy piece of gear...
>
>So, who's using which, and would you buy it again...?

I use a Cuisinart stick blender occasionally and it is controllable
enough.

But, since I saw refurbished Cuisinart countertop blenders for 29.95
across the street I bought one of those also. I have only had it for
about a year so I don't know longevity, but it also does what it
should, for a light blender. Not for crushing ice, etc. I just use it
for soups.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."
jacqui{JB}

"zenit" > wrote in message

> At the moment, I'm using a really tired counter-
> top blender to make sauces, puree chilies, etc...
> I want to retire it, but I don't know enough about
> the stick blenders to make a decision...
>
> So, who's using which, and would you buy it again...?

I've got an old Braun stick blender (type 4172-B, according to the
info stamped into the top), received as a gift in ... well, sometime
before 1990, anyway. I don't use it often, mostly because I generally
want a finer puree than I can get with the Braun (or at the very least
*faster*).

But that's just me and my personal cooking style. I think the best
advice you've gotten is to go buy a cheap one, use it and see how you
like it. If/when it wears out, you can replace it.

-j

Jack Schidt®

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article > , "Jack
> Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > Sage advice; I'd do same.
> >
> > Jack Rosemary

> Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack . . . . (spitting chocolate bridge mix on
> the screen)
> --
> -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab,

too.)

What is bridge mix?? Is it available in viaduct or suspension??

Jack Verrazano

PENMART01

"Jack Schidt®" writes:

>"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
>>"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>>
>> > Sage advice; I'd do same.
>> >
>> > Jack Rosemary

>> Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack . . . . (spitting chocolate bridge mix on
>> the screen)

>What is bridge mix?? Is it available in viaduct or suspension??
>
>Jack Verrazano

A type of candy; assorted chocolate covered bonbons:
http://www.brachs.com/products/produ...?base_code=717

Also (my favorite) licorice bridge mix:
http://www.candywarehouse.com/goellicbridm.html

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Greg Zywicki

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message . com>...
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article > , "Jack
> > Schidt®" > wrote:
> >
> > > Sage advice; I'd do same.
> > >
> > > Jack Rosemary

> > Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack . . . . (spitting chocolate bridge mix on
> > the screen)
> > --
> > -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab,

> too.)
>

> What is bridge mix?? Is it available in viaduct or suspension??
>
> Jack Verrazano

I'm surprised she eats the stuff. The name most likely comes from how
it sticks to her bridge.

Greg Zywicki
Time to clean the Tatoo, Barb.
PENMART01

In article >,
(Greg Zywicki) writes:

>"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
.com>...
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>> > Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack . . . . (spitting chocolate bridge mix on
>> > the screen)
>> > --
>> > -Barb (
www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab,
>> too.)
>>

>> What is bridge mix?? Is it available in viaduct or suspension??
>>
>> Jack Verrazano

>I'm surprised she eats the stuff. The name most likely comes from how
>it sticks to her bridge.

Actually the name is from the card game Bridge.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Peggy

Dimitri wrote:

> "zenit" > wrote in message
>
>>At the moment, I'm using a really tired counter-top blender to make
>>sauces, puree chilies, etc... I want to retire it, but I don't know
>>enough about the stick blenders to make a decision... I'll never be
>>cooking for more than 3 people and my blender needs are simple and
>>few, with no fruit smoothies or ice crushing needed... I've looked at
>>a few of the sticks on the Internet, but am still undecided about
>>which way to go... From reading the reviews on Amazon, I know it's
>>easy to get something that is either too noisy, too splashy, or just a
>>crappy piece of gear...
>>
>>So, who's using which, and would you buy it again...?
>>
>><! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- >
>>zenit

> Go to Target or Wal Mart or some such ilk. Buy the lowest priced one you
> can find that plugs into a wall. Use it for a few months. If you don't like
> it - go back to your blender.
>
> I love my Braun.
>
> Dimitri

I love my Braun, too. Use it for soups, sauces, and to get the lumps
out of the gravy. Yum.

Peg

Carnivore269

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> In article >, zenit
> > wrote:
> >
> > So, who's using which, and would you buy it again...?
> >
> > <! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- >
> > zenit

> Braun. Yes. I don't use it often but like it when I do. I don't think
> I paid more than $20 for it with the chopper thingie and cream whipper
> (dud) and tall cup for something to do with it.

Huh. I used to just use an egg beater (electric) for making whipped
cream.
Now I use one of these:

http://www.creamright.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code =NOD
Same company also sells the N2O charges... by the case. ;-)

I highly recommend this guy, he has some of the best prices and
absolutely wonderful service! When I order something, I get it by UPS
within 4 days AND he takes paypal which is good for me! Since I do
ebay, there is nearly always money in the Paypal account that I can
use for purchases instead of using my credit card.

Anyhoo, the gas charged cream whippers are, like, totally fantastic.

Good for, uh, "adult" use as well. <eg>

C.
Sylvia

Are you a gadget person?

I ask because people either are or aren't. If you're not, disregard
what I'm about to type.

I use the blender on my Oster Kitchen Center and love it. Not that
there is anything special about the blender itself -- it's a good, basic
blender -- but because of all the other attachments I can get for the
OKC. Besides the blender, stand mixer, and salad shooter that came with
it, I have purchased and used a food chopper, juicer, ice cream maker,
and meat grinder, and purchased but not used (yet) an ice crusher, pasta
maker, and sausage stuffer. Living in a small mobile home, I LOVE being
able to use all these gadgets on one motor base.

I don't think the OKC is still available retail, but there are lots for
sale on ebay -- that's where I picked up my other attachments.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

PENMART01

Sylvia Bimbo writes:

>Living in a small mobile home