skoonj

Default Zabaglione... and a P.O.S. stick blender

"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message
> Tonight I made one of my favorite desserts, zabaglione. Unfortunately my
> P.O.S. stick blender crapped out in the middle of making it, but I
> recovered from that.
>
> My recipe is roughly based on the one in the cookbook "Lidia's Italian
> Table" by Lidia Bastianich. I found the proportions she gave and
> instructions for other ingredients to be useful. In any case, here is my
> version:
>
> Zabaglione for two
>
> Ingredients:
> 4 large egg yolks
> 1/4 cup granulated sugar
> 3 tablespoons dry white wine, usually an Alsatian riesling or
> gewurtztraminer for me
> 1 tablespoon Cointreau
>snip<

> I'm in the market now for a new stick blender. The one I got a couple of
> years ago I got primarily to make zabaglione. I got a cheap one as a kind
> of "proof of concept", to see if it would be useful to make zabaglione. It
> was a great idea, but this one hasn't held up. Not that it has gotten much
> use, all considered. What failed was the switch. It's one of those damn
> "soft touch" switches, which I have found really aren't very reliable. I
> was having problems with it before today, but this time it more or less
> died in the middle of the recipe. By using two hands and pressing very
> hard on the switch, I was able to keep it going long enough to finish.
> What a pain! Don't things last any more? I know... you get what you pay
> for! ;-)

One of my favorite things to make is Frozen Zabaglione, which is basically
Z. chilled and folded with whipped cream, then run through an ice cream
machine. Actually, the fact that whipped cream is used would probably permit
you to dispense with the machine and make it "still frozen." I have always
used Marsala for my Zabaglione, but may try it with wine and Cointreau.

As far as stick blenders go, is P.O.S. the brand name? (Oh, I get it).
Williams-Sonoma sells the Bamix Mono model (under the W-S name) which is the
entry level Bamix but still good, though not cheap ($99). It doesn't have a
balloon-style whisk though, but uses a small metal disk for whisking.

-T

skoonj

"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message
> Tonight I made one of my favorite desserts, zabaglione. Unfortunately my
> P.O.S. stick blender crapped out in the middle of making it, but I
> recovered from that.
>
> My recipe is roughly based on the one in the cookbook "Lidia's Italian
> Table" by Lidia Bastianich. I found the proportions she gave and
> instructions for other ingredients to be useful. In any case, here is my
> version:
>
> Zabaglione for two
>
> Ingredients:
> 4 large egg yolks
> 1/4 cup granulated sugar
> 3 tablespoons dry white wine, usually an Alsatian riesling or
> gewurtztraminer for me
> 1 tablespoon Cointreau
>snip<

> I'm in the market now for a new stick blender. The one I got a couple of
> years ago I got primarily to make zabaglione. I got a cheap one as a kind
> of "proof of concept", to see if it would be useful to make zabaglione. It
> was a great idea, but this one hasn't held up. Not that it has gotten much
> use, all considered. What failed was the switch. It's one of those damn
> "soft touch" switches, which I have found really aren't very reliable. I
> was having problems with it before today, but this time it more or less
> died in the middle of the recipe. By using two hands and pressing very
> hard on the switch, I was able to keep it going long enough to finish.
> What a pain! Don't things last any more? I know... you get what you pay
> for! ;-)

One of my favorite things to make is Frozen Zabaglione, which is basically
Z. chilled and folded with whipped cream, then run through an ice cream
machine. Actually, the fact that whipped cream is used would probably permit
you to dispense with the machine and make it "still frozen." I have always
used Marsala for my Zabaglione, but may try it with wine and Cointreau.

As far as stick blenders go, is P.O.S. the brand name? (Oh, I get it).
Williams-Sonoma sells the Bamix Mono model (under the W-S name) which is the
entry level Bamix but still good, though not cheap ($99). It doesn't have a
balloon-style whisk though, but uses a small metal disk for whisking.

-T

The Joneses

wff_ng_6 wrote:

> Tonight I made one of my favorite desserts, zabaglione. Unfortunately my
> P.O.S. stick blender crapped out in the middle of making it, but I recovered
> from that.

(clipped tasty recipe)

My POS SB fell apart tonite too. [See potato soup thread] Next one I get will
have detachable attachments. I had an el cheapo model that was hard to clean.
Edrena

The Joneses

wff_ng_6 wrote:

> Tonight I made one of my favorite desserts, zabaglione. Unfortunately my
> P.O.S. stick blender crapped out in the middle of making it, but I recovered
> from that.

(clipped tasty recipe)

My POS SB fell apart tonite too. [See potato soup thread] Next one I get will
have detachable attachments. I had an el cheapo model that was hard to clean.
Edrena

Nancree

>>My POS SB fell apart tonite too. [See potato soup thread] Next one I get
>will
>>have detachable attachments. I

---------------------------
I recommend the Braun stick blender. I just ordered one (for a gift) from the
neighborhood hardware store (he had a catalogue)--very handy. (If you can even
find a neighbothood hardware store any more !). I had shopped elsewhere and
couldn't find any at all. Braun is well made.
Nancree

Vilco

wff_ng_6 wrote:

> Ingredients:
> 4 large egg yolks
> 1/4 cup granulated sugar
> 3 tablespoons dry white wine, usually an Alsatian
> riesling or gewurtztraminer for me
> 1 tablespoon Cointreau

Nice, I'll give it a try. One thing you can try, if you like
obsidized wines, is to substitute the 3tsp dry white wine and the
1tsp Cointreau with 4tsp Marsala wine. It's typical to find it in
zabaglione, and in pastry creams/custards, too.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Bob (this one)

Nancree wrote:

>>> My POS SB fell apart tonite too. [See potato soup thread]
>>> Next one I get will have detachable attachments. I

> --------------------------- I recommend the Braun stick blender. I
> just ordered one (for a gift) from the neighborhood hardware store
> (he had a catalogue)--very handy. (If you can even find a
> neighbothood hardware store any more !). I had shopped elsewhere
> and couldn't find any at all. Braun is well made. Nancree

I tested several of them for an article. Braun came out on top of the
retail bunch. GE is crap.

Bamix is a good machine but not a good value. The one that came out on
top is the Thunderstick from the late night tv infomercials. Several
different blades and attachments like the Bamix for a fraction of the
price.

Pastorio

B. Kildow

Bob (this one) wrote:

>> --------------------------- I recommend the Braun stick blender. I
>> just ordered one (for a gift) from the neighborhood hardware store
>> (he had a catalogue)--very handy. (If you can even find a
>> neighbothood hardware store any more !). I had shopped elsewhere
>> and couldn't find any at all. Braun is well made. Nancree

> I tested several of them for an article. Braun came out on top of the
> retail bunch. GE is crap.

Just don't let someone who doesn't do much cooking anywhere near
potatoes needing to be mashed with one. My brother actually managed to
turn a pot full of boiled potatoes into something resembling rubber with
a Braun.

BK

> Bamix is a good machine but not a good value. The one that came out on
> top is the Thunderstick from the late night tv infomercials. Several
> different blades and attachments like the Bamix for a fraction of the
> price.
>
> Pastorio

B. Kildow

Bob (this one) wrote:

>> --------------------------- I recommend the Braun stick blender. I
>> just ordered one (for a gift) from the neighborhood hardware store
>> (he had a catalogue)--very handy. (If you can even find a
>> neighbothood hardware store any more !). I had shopped elsewhere
>> and couldn't find any at all. Braun is well made. Nancree

> I tested several of them for an article. Braun came out on top of the
> retail bunch. GE is crap.

Just don't let someone who doesn't do much cooking anywhere near
potatoes needing to be mashed with one. My brother actually managed to
turn a pot full of boiled potatoes into something resembling rubber with
a Braun.

BK

> Bamix is a good machine but not a good value. The one that came out on
> top is the Thunderstick from the late night tv infomercials. Several
> different blades and attachments like the Bamix for a fraction of the
> price.
>
> Pastorio

wff_ng_6

"Vilco" > wrote:
> Nice, I'll give it a try. One thing you can try, if you like
> obsidized wines, is to substitute the 3tsp dry white wine and the
> 1tsp Cointreau with 4tsp Marsala wine. It's typical to find it in
> zabaglione, and in pastry creams/custards, too.

Funny, but the first thing I used when I tried making zabaglione several
years ago was the traditional Marsala. I didn't like the results so much,
but then again I was still trying to get the proportions and technique down
at that time.

One thing I wasn't sure of was what type of Marsala to use. They come in
both a sweet and a dry form, like sherry does, don't they? I believe I was
using the sweet Marsala, and maybe that was a mistake.

wff_ng_6

"Vilco" > wrote:
> Nice, I'll give it a try. One thing you can try, if you like
> obsidized wines, is to substitute the 3tsp dry white wine and the
> 1tsp Cointreau with 4tsp Marsala wine. It's typical to find it in
> zabaglione, and in pastry creams/custards, too.

Funny, but the first thing I used when I tried making zabaglione several
years ago was the traditional Marsala. I didn't like the results so much,
but then again I was still trying to get the proportions and technique down
at that time.

One thing I wasn't sure of was what type of Marsala to use. They come in
both a sweet and a dry form, like sherry does, don't they? I believe I was
using the sweet Marsala, and maybe that was a mistake.

wff_ng_6

Well, I just took the P.O.S. stick blender apart, and maybe it's
recoverable. It might just be dirty contacts on the switch, and I may be
able to clean that up. It doesn't make good contact, particularly on the
high speed, where there is visible arcing.

I was surprised to see an actual metal spring in the switch mechanism. I've
come across lots of plastic and even foam rubber springs in switches, which
don't hold up.

I'll report back later if I'm able to get some more life out of this thing.
I haven't gotten my hopes up too high, so I have started looking at what's
out there on the net to replace it.

Bob (this one)

B. Kildow wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:

>>> --------------------------- I recommend the Braun stick blender. I
>>> just ordered one (for a gift) from the neighborhood hardware store
>>> (he had a catalogue)--very handy. (If you can even find a
>>> neighbothood hardware store any more !). I had shopped elsewhere
>>> and couldn't find any at all. Braun is well made. Nancree

>> I tested several of them for an article. Braun came out on top of the
>> retail bunch. GE is crap.

> Just don't let someone who doesn't do much cooking anywhere near
> potatoes needing to be mashed with one. My brother actually managed to
> turn a pot full of boiled potatoes into something resembling rubber with
> a Braun.

Then there was the guy who called my radio program asking about
scrambled eggs for a group. He wanted to scramble them in the pan with
his "outboard motor." I said it would probably splash the eggs right
out of the skillet. He said he was planning to scramble them *after*
they got hard. I told him "Go for it but don't call back when you see
what you get."

One of my ex-M-I-Ls used to make her mashed spuds with a hand-held
mixer. Usually put lots of butter and cream in them so they only got a
little rubbery. One time, she decided to whip them before adding the
other stuff. The mass actually bounced. Fortunately, I don't have to
go to dinner there anymore.

Pastorio

Vilco

wff_ng_6 wrote:

> One thing I wasn't sure of was what type of Marsala to
> use. They come in both a sweet and a dry form, like
> sherry does, don't they? I believe I was using the sweet
> Marsala, and maybe that was a mistake.

Maybe... sweet Marsala in often made with a mixture of normal
Marsala, which is dry, and some eggs, sugar and water: maybe some
components of this mixture has some negative effect.
I always used the dry one.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Vilco

wff_ng_6 wrote:

> One thing I wasn't sure of was what type of Marsala to
> use. They come in both a sweet and a dry form, like
> sherry does, don't they? I believe I was using the sweet
> Marsala, and maybe that was a mistake.

Maybe... sweet Marsala in often made with a mixture of normal
Marsala, which is dry, and some eggs, sugar and water: maybe some
components of this mixture has some negative effect.
I always used the dry one.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Judy Bednar

Bob (this one) > typed:

>> --------------------------- I recommend the Braun stick blender. I
>> just ordered one (for a gift) from the neighborhood hardware store
>> (he had a catalogue)--very handy. (If you can even find a
>> neighbothood hardware store any more !). I had shopped elsewhere
>> and couldn't find any at all. Braun is well made. Nancree

> I tested several of them for an article. Braun came out on top of the
> retail bunch. GE is crap.

I used to have a Bamix, then got the Braun, because of the good write-ups
and the attachments (mine has a baloon wisk, which the Bamix hasn't. Must
say I'm not too happy with it. I have bad hands, find it very heavy and you
need to keep your finger on the on button to keep it working. Other than
that it IS very good - has a mini food processor as well (washable) which is
very handy for small jobs, when you don't feel like dragging the big one
out.

> Bamix is a good machine but not a good value. The one that came out on
> top is the Thunderstick from the late night tv infomercials. Several
> different blades and attachments like the Bamix for a fraction of the
> price.

Actually, I've seen those ads, and wondered about it, looks very much like
the Bamix (even the demonstrations are the same <g>)
--
Cheers,

Judy -- some quotes perceptive, some pedestrian, none mine :-)

One day I'm going to burst my bud of calm and blossom into hysteria.

Judy Bednar

Bob (this one) > typed:

>> --------------------------- I recommend the Braun stick blender. I
>> just ordered one (for a gift) from the neighborhood hardware store
>> (he had a catalogue)--very handy. (If you can even find a
>> neighbothood hardware store any more !). I had shopped elsewhere
>> and couldn't find any at all. Braun is well made. Nancree

> I tested several of them for an article. Braun came out on top of the
> retail bunch. GE is crap.

I used to have a Bamix, then got the Braun, because of the good write-ups
and the attachments (mine has a baloon wisk, which the Bamix hasn't. Must
say I'm not too happy with it. I have bad hands, find it very heavy and you
need to keep your finger on the on button to keep it working. Other than
that it IS very good - has a mini food processor as well (washable) which is
very handy for small jobs, when you don't feel like dragging the big one
out.

> Bamix is a good machine but not a good value. The one that came out on
> top is the Thunderstick from the late night tv infomercials. Several
> different blades and attachments like the Bamix for a fraction of the
> price.

Actually, I've seen those ads, and wondered about it, looks very much like
the Bamix (even the demonstrations are the same <g>)
--
Cheers,

Judy -- some quotes perceptive, some pedestrian, none mine :-)

One day I'm going to burst my bud of calm and blossom into hysteria.

B. Kildow

Bob (this one) wrote:

> B. Kildow wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:

>>> I tested several of them for an article. Braun came out on top of the
>>> retail bunch. GE is crap.

>> Just don't let someone who doesn't do much cooking anywhere near
>> potatoes needing to be mashed with one. My brother actually managed
>> to turn a pot full of boiled potatoes into something resembling rubber
>> with a Braun.

> Then there was the guy who called my radio program asking about
> scrambled eggs for a group. He wanted to scramble them in the pan with
> his "outboard motor." I said it would probably splash the eggs right out
> of the skillet. He said he was planning to scramble them *after* they
> got hard. I told him "Go for it but don't call back when you see what
> you get."

Oh......my. I'm trying to picture how that would turn out and...I think
I need some more coffee.

> One of my ex-M-I-Ls used to make her mashed spuds with a hand-held
> mixer. Usually put lots of butter and cream in them so they only got a
> little rubbery. One time, she decided to whip them before adding the
> other stuff. The mass actually bounced. Fortunately, I don't have to go
> to dinner there anymore.

That's how my Mom always did mashed--drained, in the pot, wad of butter,
splash of milk (if needed). She must have had it down to a science,
because her's never got rubbery. I use a hand masher since I only ever
make them for one. My husband is vehemently anti-potato unless it's
french fries with lots of ketchup and a shot of Tabasco.

BK

> Pastorio

B. Kildow

Bob (this one) wrote:

> B. Kildow wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:

>>> I tested several of them for an article. Braun came out on top of the
>>> retail bunch. GE is crap.

>> Just don't let someone who doesn't do much cooking anywhere near
>> potatoes needing to be mashed with one. My brother actually managed
>> to turn a pot full of boiled potatoes into something resembling rubber
>> with a Braun.

> Then there was the guy who called my radio program asking about
> scrambled eggs for a group. He wanted to scramble them in the pan with
> his "outboard motor." I said it would probably splash the eggs right out
> of the skillet. He said he was planning to scramble them *after* they
> got hard. I told him "Go for it but don't call back when you see what
> you get."

Oh......my. I'm trying to picture how that would turn out and...I think
I need some more coffee.

> One of my ex-M-I-Ls used to make her mashed spuds with a hand-held
> mixer. Usually put lots of butter and cream in them so they only got a
> little rubbery. One time, she decided to whip them before adding the
> other stuff. The mass actually bounced. Fortunately, I don't have to go
> to dinner there anymore.

That's how my Mom always did mashed--drained, in the pot, wad of butter,
splash of milk (if needed). She must have had it down to a science,
because her's never got rubbery. I use a hand masher since I only ever
make them for one. My husband is vehemently anti-potato unless it's
french fries with lots of ketchup and a shot of Tabasco.

BK

> Pastorio

wff_ng_6

"Vilco" > wrote:
> Maybe... sweet Marsala in often made with a mixture of normal
> Marsala, which is dry, and some eggs, sugar and water: maybe some
> components of this mixture has some negative effect.
> I always used the dry one.

Maybe I'll give it another try, this time using dry Marsala. I know there's
a huge difference between a dry and sweet sherry, so perhaps the same holds
true on Marsala.

wff_ng_6

"Vilco" > wrote:
> Maybe... sweet Marsala in often made with a mixture of normal
> Marsala, which is dry, and some eggs, sugar and water: maybe some
> components of this mixture has some negative effect.
> I always used the dry one.

Maybe I'll give it another try, this time using dry Marsala. I know there's
a huge difference between a dry and sweet sherry, so perhaps the same holds
true on Marsala.

Paul M. Cook

"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message
> Tonight I made one of my favorite desserts, zabaglione. Unfortunately my
> P.O.S. stick blender crapped out in the middle of making it, but I

recovered
> from that.
>
> My recipe is roughly based on the one in the cookbook "Lidia's Italian
> Table" by Lidia Bastianich. I found the proportions she gave and
> instructions for other ingredients to be useful. In any case, here is my
> version:
>
> Zabaglione for two
>
> Ingredients:
> 4 large egg yolks
> 1/4 cup granulated sugar
> 3 tablespoons dry white wine, usually an Alsatian riesling or
> gewurtztraminer for me
> 1 tablespoon Cointreau
>
> Equipment:
> zabaglione pan or copper bowl or stainless bowl*
> saucepan of slowly boiling water
> stick blender with whisk attachment **
>
> - Place egg yolks into bowl and beat lightly together.
> - Add sugar and beat lightly together.
> - Add wine and Cointreau and place bowl over saucepan of slowly boiling
> water.
> - Start beating constantly until consistency is fairly thick but still
> smooth and fluffy. This may take up to eight minutes or so depending on

heat
> provided and beating speed. Attention must be paid to ensure all of the
> contents of the bowl are kept in motion and no part of it sits too long
> against the heat of the bowl. Judging the exact point at which it is

"done"
> is kind of a matter of experience. Go slightly too far, and the eggs will
> start to take on a "scrambled" appearance.
>
> - Transfer into two glasses and serve warm. It can also be chilled and
> served cold but is not as good.
>
> * - I use a zabaglione pan, but I suppose one of these metal bowls would
> work fine. I think whatever you use has to be rounded though, as you have

> keep all of the mixture in motion. Corners where you couldn't get the

whisk
> in would be a problem.
>
> ** - When I first tried to make zabaglione, I tried to whisk it by hand. I
> just didn't have the stamina or whatever to do it. That's when I got the
> idea of using one of those stick blenders with the whisk attachment. It
> works great except if your stick blender breaks in the middle of the

recipe.

> This is a most fantastic dessert, and really is quite simple and quick to
> make. Getting the proportions right and the technique down are important,
> but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. Just practice a few times and
> don't try to make it the first time for guests.
>
> I'm in the market now for a new stick blender. The one I got a couple of
> years ago I got primarily to make zabaglione. I got a cheap one as a kind

of
> "proof of concept", to see if it would be useful to make zabaglione. It

was
> a great idea, but this one hasn't held up. Not that it has gotten much

use,
> all considered. What failed was the switch. It's one of those damn "soft
> touch" switches, which I have found really aren't very reliable. I was
> having problems with it before today, but this time it more or less died

in
> the middle of the recipe. By using two hands and pressing very hard on the
> switch, I was able to keep it going long enough to finish. What a pain!
> Don't things last any more? I know... you get what you pay for! ;-)

\

Stick blenders are cool but for a zabaglione why bother? Just get yourself
a nice big whisk. I make zabaglione all the time for tiramisu. Using a
whisk I can feel how well the mixture is cooking and I can even feel when I
have cooked out all the unmelted sugar. And it really takes very little arm
muscles too. Plus a whisk incorporates more air into the zabaglione making
it lighter and more delicate. Just seems sometimes the old fashioned way
works best.

Paul

Paul M. Cook

"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message
> [...]

> having problems with it before today, but this time it more or less died

in
> the middle of the recipe. By using two hands and pressing very hard on the
> switch, I was able to keep it going long enough to finish. What a pain!
> Don't things last any more? I know... you get what you pay for! ;-)

\

Stick blenders are cool but for a zabaglione why bother? Just get yourself
a nice big whisk. I make zabaglione all the time for tiramisu. Using a
whisk I can feel how well the mixture is cooking and I can even feel when I
have cooked out all the unmelted sugar. And it really takes very little arm
muscles too. Plus a whisk incorporates more air into the zabaglione making
it lighter and more delicate. Just seems sometimes the old fashioned way

Christine Dabney

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:42:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message

>> ** - When I first tried to make zabaglione, I tried to whisk it by hand. I
>> just didn't have the stamina or whatever to do it. That's when I got the
>> idea of using one of those stick blenders with the whisk attachment.

>Stick blenders are cool but for a zabaglione why bother? Just get yourself
>a nice big whisk. I make zabaglione all the time for tiramisu. Using a
>whisk I can feel how well the mixture is cooking and I can even feel when I
>have cooked out all the unmelted sugar. And it really takes very little arm
>muscles too. Plus a whisk incorporates more air into the zabaglione making
>it lighter and more delicate. Just seems sometimes the old fashioned way
>works best.
>
>Paul

If you will read above, he says why he doesn't use a whisk.

Christine
Paul M. Cook

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:42:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

> >"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message

> >> ** - When I first tried to make zabaglione, I tried to whisk it by

hand. I
> >> just didn't have the stamina or whatever to do it. That's when I got

the
> >> idea of using one of those stick blenders with the whisk attachment.

> >Stick blenders are cool but for a zabaglione why bother? Just get

yourself
> >a nice big whisk. I make zabaglione all the time for tiramisu. Using a
> >whisk I can feel how well the mixture is cooking and I can even feel when

> >have cooked out all the unmelted sugar. And it really takes very little

arm
> >muscles too. Plus a whisk incorporates more air into the zabaglione

making
> >it lighter and more delicate. Just seems sometimes the old fashioned way
> >works best.
> >
> >Paul
> >

> If you will read above, he says why he doesn't use a whisk.

Yeah I read it. Been reading since I was about 6 and am fairly adept at it.
Anyway, I was recommending *still* a whisk - in this case a big one. I
assume he/she has a tiny little whisk that is best only used for scrambled
eggs. A big whisk makes all the difference. I can beat egg whites to stiff
peaks with one and its not hard work at all compared to a smaller whisk.

Paul

Paul

> Christine

wff_ng_6

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> Yeah I read it. Been reading since I was about 6 and am fairly adept at
> it.
> Anyway, I was recommending *still* a whisk - in this case a big one. I
> assume he/she has a tiny little whisk that is best only used for scrambled
> eggs. A big whisk makes all the difference. I can beat egg whites to
> stiff
> peaks with one and its not hard work at all compared to a smaller whisk.

Sure, I'd recommend one try it with a whisk before going out and buying a
stick blender for this. But if you can't handle it, or already have a stick
blender, try using it for this, it is very effective. On this and some other
things, I thought of the merits of using the stick blender or not. One of
the considerations is what things need to be cleaned up, but then I thought,
either I have to wash the whisk, or wash the whisk attachment to the stick
blender... no real difference there.

Don't make assumptions about other people's physical abilities, even
watching them do one thing might not be an indication on how they can
perform doing something else. I can ride my bike for over 40 miles
(something a lot of twentysomething's can't do), but maybe I can't whisk
zabaglione. Reaching up high to pull a window shade down ends up causing me
severe shoulder pain that lasts a while. I'm 51 and realizing that maybe
certain parts of me are getting worn out. That's just the way it is and I
accept it.

Paul M. Cook

"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> > Yeah I read it. Been reading since I was about 6 and am fairly adept at
> > it.
> > Anyway, I was recommending *still* a whisk - in this case a big one. I
> > assume he/she has a tiny little whisk that is best only used for

scrambled
> > eggs. A big whisk makes all the difference. I can beat egg whites to
> > stiff
> > peaks with one and its not hard work at all compared to a smaller whisk.

> Sure, I'd recommend one try it with a whisk before going out and buying a
> stick blender for this. But if you can't handle it, or already have a

stick
> blender, try using it for this, it is very effective. On this and some

other
> things, I thought of the merits of using the stick blender or not. One of
> the considerations is what things need to be cleaned up, but then I

thought,
> either I have to wash the whisk, or wash the whisk attachment to the stick
> blender... no real difference there.
>
> Don't make assumptions about other people's physical abilities, even
> watching them do one thing might not be an indication on how they can
> perform doing something else. I can ride my bike for over 40 miles
> (something a lot of twentysomething's can't do), but maybe I can't whisk
> zabaglione. Reaching up high to pull a window shade down ends up causing

me
> severe shoulder pain that lasts a while. I'm 51 and realizing that maybe
> certain parts of me are getting worn out. That's just the way it is and I
> accept it.

Amazing how a person cannot even just talk food on a newsgroup without
offending somebody. BTW - replies to your posts are not just for you they
are for *everybody*. That is why it is called a discussion *group* and not
a discussion *all about me.*

Paul

sf

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:09:31 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:42:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

> >"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message

> >> ** - When I first tried to make zabaglione, I tried to whisk it by hand. I
> >> just didn't have the stamina or whatever to do it. That's when I got the
> >> idea of using one of those stick blenders with the whisk attachment.

> >Stick blenders are cool but for a zabaglione why bother? Just get yourself
> >a nice big whisk. I make zabaglione all the time for tiramisu. Using a
> >whisk I can feel how well the mixture is cooking and I can even feel when I
> >have cooked out all the unmelted sugar. And it really takes very little arm
> >muscles too. Plus a whisk incorporates more air into the zabaglione making
> >it lighter and more delicate. Just seems sometimes the old fashioned way
> >works best.
> >
> >Paul
> >

> If you will read above, he says why he doesn't use a whisk.
>
> Christine

It's not rocket science, even though people would like to
think it is. A regular <hand held> beater works too.

sf

sf

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:09:31 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:42:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

> >"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message

> >> ** - When I first tried to make zabaglione, I tried to whisk it by hand. I
> >> just didn't have the stamina or whatever to do it. That's when I got the
> >> idea of using one of those stick blenders with the whisk attachment.

> >Stick blenders are cool but for a zabaglione why bother? Just get yourself
> >a nice big whisk. I make zabaglione all the time for tiramisu. Using a
> >whisk I can feel how well the mixture is cooking and I can even feel when I
> >have cooked out all the unmelted sugar. And it really takes very little arm
> >muscles too. Plus a whisk incorporates more air into the zabaglione making
> >it lighter and more delicate. Just seems sometimes the old fashioned way
> >works best.
> >
> >Paul
> >

> If you will read above, he says why he doesn't use a whisk.
>
> Christine

It's not rocket science, even though people would like to
think it is. A regular <hand held> beater works too.

sf
Paul M. Cook

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:09:31 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:42:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > >"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message

hand. I

the

> > >Stick blenders are cool but for a zabaglione why bother? Just get

yourself
> > >a nice big whisk. I make zabaglione all the time for tiramisu. Using

> > >whisk I can feel how well the mixture is cooking and I can even feel

when I
> > >have cooked out all the unmelted sugar. And it really takes very

little arm
> > >muscles too. Plus a whisk incorporates more air into the zabaglione

making
> > >it lighter and more delicate. Just seems sometimes the old fashioned

way
> > >works best.
> > >
> > >Paul
> > >

> > If you will read above, he says why he doesn't use a whisk.
> >
> > Christine

> It's not rocket science, even though people would like to
> think it is. A regular <hand held> beater works too.

Amen. I can whip up a zabaglione in like 5 minutes. No biggie.

Paul

Paul M. Cook

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:09:31 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:42:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:
> >

> > >"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message

hand. I

the

> > >Stick blenders are cool but for a zabaglione why bother? Just get

yourself
> > >a nice big whisk. I make zabaglione all the time for tiramisu. Using

> > >whisk I can feel how well the mixture is cooking and I can even feel

when I
> > >have cooked out all the unmelted sugar. And it really takes very

little arm
> > >muscles too. Plus a whisk incorporates more air into the zabaglione

making
> > >it lighter and more delicate. Just seems sometimes the old fashioned

way
> > >works best.
> > >
> > >Paul
> > >

> > If you will read above, he says why he doesn't use a whisk.
> >
> > Christine

> It's not rocket science, even though people would like to
> think it is. A regular <hand held> beater works too.

Amen. I can whip up a zabaglione in like 5 minutes. No biggie.

Paul

Judy Bednar

Paul M. Cook > typed:

> Yeah I read it. Been reading since I was about 6 and am fairly adept
> at it. Anyway, I was recommending *still* a whisk - in this case a
> big one. I assume he/she has a tiny little whisk that is best only
> used for scrambled eggs. A big whisk makes all the difference. I
> can beat egg whites to stiff peaks with one and its not hard work at
> all compared to a smaller whisk.

That rather depends on your hands. I used to be able to whisk egg whites
etc. by hand, but no longer. Have carpal tunnel in both hands, there is no
way I could whisk anything by hand. In fact, I even have trouble holding my
Braun stick blender for any lenght of time

--
Cheers,

Judy -- some quotes perceptive, some pedestrian, none mine :-)

I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Judy Bednar

Paul M. Cook > typed: