Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default stick blender for only $6.99

my ex just called from Aldi and said they have a Crofton stick blender for
only $6.99. It has the blender attachment, a cup, and food chopper
accessory. Sounds like quite a deal! I thought the 14.99 one at the JCP
Outlet the other day was a good deal, but it does not have the cup or food
chopper implement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 11:00:50 -0500, "Somebody" >
wrote:

>my ex just called from Aldi and said they have a Crofton stick blender for
>only $6.99. It has the blender attachment, a cup, and food chopper
>accessory. Sounds like quite a deal! I thought the 14.99 one at the JCP
>Outlet the other day was a good deal, but it does not have the cup or food
>chopper implement.

Huh... why is she your ex... does she elicit your advice about which
TP to buy too? duh

Anyway the cheap is often expensive... I'd choose quality over
quantity... I can't imagine a $7 blender is going to work well or last
long.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2012 11:00 AM, Somebody wrote:
> my ex just called from Aldi and said they have a Crofton stick blender for
> only $6.99. It has the blender attachment, a cup, and food chopper
> accessory. Sounds like quite a deal! I thought the 14.99 one at the JCP
> Outlet the other day was a good deal, but it does not have the cup or food
> chopper implement.

I'm not clear on why a stick blender *needs* a cup. I use mine to blend
soups, sauces, gravies. Right in the pan.

I'm sure someone will correct me, but I don't believe they're intended
to be used for chopping food, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> Anyway the cheap is often expensive... I'd choose quality over
> quantity... I can't imagine a $7 blender is going to work well or last
> long.

Yeah, maybe like a Yugo and need to buy 2 or 3 to keep one running... I
tried it and the motor works. It was originally 19.99, but marked down to
make room for Holiday stuff coming in the manager told her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 12:16*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> > Anyway the cheap is often expensive... I'd choose quality over
> > quantity... I can't imagine a $7 blender is going to work well or last
> > long.

> Yeah, maybe like a Yugo and need to buy 2 or 3 to keep one running... *I
> tried it and the motor works. *It was originally 19.99, but marked down to
> make room for Holiday stuff coming in the manager told her.

the manager would have told her anything to get in her pants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 12:18:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo >
wrote:

>On Dec 4, 12:16*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
>> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

>> > Anyway the cheap is often expensive... I'd choose quality over
>> > quantity... I can't imagine a $7 blender is going to work well or last
>> > long.

>> Yeah, maybe like a Yugo and need to buy 2 or 3 to keep one running... *I
>> tried it and the motor works. *It was originally 19.99, but marked down to
>> make room for Holiday stuff coming in the manager told her.

>the manager would have told her anything to get in her pants.

I bet that stick blender comes with a silicone dildo attachment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/12/2012 2:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I'm not clear on why a stick blender *needs* a cup. I use mine to blend
> soups, sauces, gravies. Right in the pan.
>
> I'm sure someone will correct me, but I don't believe they're intended
> to be used for chopping food, either.

Every once in a while you get something that needs to be whizzed up and
you don't want it flying all over the place. My Braun stick blender
sends stuff flying out through the side holes. Every week or two I mix
up some powdered buttermilk and it is great for that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 1:04*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 12:18:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo >
> wrote:
>
> >On Dec 4, 12:16 pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> >> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> . ..

> >> Yeah, maybe like a Yugo and need to buy 2 or 3 to keep one running... I
> >> tried it and the motor works. It was originally 19.99, but marked down to
> >> make room for Holiday stuff coming in the manager told her.

> >the manager would have told her anything to get in her pants.

> I bet that stick blender comes with a silicone dildo attachment.

that's why the ex told him to get it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Every once in a while you get something that needs to be whizzed up and
> you don't want it flying all over the place. My Braun stick blender sends
> stuff flying out through the side holes. Every week or two I mix up some
> powdered buttermilk and it is great for that.

So far it is working great. Pureed the cauliflower well, and the chopper
chopped some baby carrots finely. I used less water than Paul Bertolli's
recipe and richer and creamier. Last time I followed the recipe was too
watery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 12:18:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo >
> wrote:

>>> Yeah, maybe like a Yugo and need to buy 2 or 3 to keep one
>>> running... I tried it and the motor works. It was originally 19.99,
>>> but marked down to make room for Holiday stuff coming in the
>>> manager told her.

>> the manager would have told her anything to get in her pants.

> I bet that stick blender comes with a silicone dildo attachment.

She is probably busy on her knees in the stock room at Big Lots earning herself a whole case of seven dollar stick blenders. It should only take a week or ten days based on prevailing skank rental rates in PA.

- JT

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:11:27 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

Every week or two I mix

> up some powdered buttermilk and it is great for that.

Can't you just use 'em in a small bowl? ( I have debated for ages over a stick blender....)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/12/2012 7:43 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:11:27 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> Every week or two I mix
>>
>> up some powdered buttermilk and it is great for that.

> Can't you just use 'em in a small bowl? ( I have debated for ages over a stick blender....)

Consider the dynamics. You have a blade spinning around at high speed
and a shroud around it with a couple slots in it. Stuff gets sucked up
into the blade and blown out through those slots. I would be worried
about the stuff flying right out of a shallow bowl.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Cheap enough to not feel guilty about trying it.

I, too, have been hemming and hawing about getting a stick blender-my
quandary is that I really want to buy the ?Oster? rechargeable stick
blender (handle rotates into a gun shape also) because it is cordless
but I am afraid it will turn out to be weak and more of a drinks blender
than a processor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 16:43:04 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:11:27 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> Every week or two I mix
>>
>> up some powdered buttermilk and it is great for that.

>Can't you just use 'em in a small bowl? ( I have debated for ages over a stick blender....)

For beverages I use a regular stand blender... if I wanted butter milk
I'd just buy it from the dairy section at the market... powdered
buttermilk is really meant for baked goods, not a beverage.. I don't
have a stick blender, I can't think of anything I'd use it for. I'm
really not into pureed foods, I outgrew Gerbers and Beechnut many
years ago. When I want more finely textured foods I much prefer the
results from my food mill, I absolutely abhor creamed emulsified
soups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 04/12/2012 7:43 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:11:27 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Every week or two I mix
>>>
>>> up some powdered buttermilk and it is great for that.

>> Can't you just use 'em in a small bowl? ( I have debated for ages over a
>> stick blender....)
>>

> Consider the dynamics. You have a blade spinning around at high speed and
> a shroud around it with a couple slots in it. Stuff gets sucked up into
> the blade and blown out through those slots. I would be worried about the
> stuff flying right out of a shallow bowl.

Yeah. They don't work in a shallow thing. You need something deep like a
pot or a glass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
> Cheap enough to not feel guilty about trying it.
>
> I, too, have been hemming and hawing about getting a stick blender-my
> quandary is that I really want to buy the ?Oster? rechargeable stick
> blender (handle rotates into a gun shape also) because it is cordless
> but I am afraid it will turn out to be weak and more of a drinks blender
> than a processor.

I have never had any luck with the cordless. They just don't seem to have
enough power and they go dead before I am done using them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Yeah. They don't work in a shallow thing. You need something deep like a
> pot or a glass.

This one I got comes with a "beaker" kinda a smaller version of a blender
container but big enough for my needs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "z z" > wrote in message
>> Cheap enough to not feel guilty about trying it.
>>
>> I, too, have been hemming and hawing about getting a stick blender-my
>> quandary is that I really want to buy the ?Oster? rechargeable stick
>> blender (handle rotates into a gun shape also) because it is cordless
>> but I am afraid it will turn out to be weak and more of a drinks blender
>> than a processor.

> I have never had any luck with the cordless. They just don't seem to have
> enough power and they go dead before I am done using them.

this one is 200 watts and worked fine. The cauliflower came out smooth and
good texture. (I need to work on flavoring though.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2012 9:20 PM, z z wrote:
> Cheap enough to not feel guilty about trying it.
>
> I, too, have been hemming and hawing about getting a stick blender-my
> quandary is that I really want to buy the ?Oster? rechargeable stick
> blender (handle rotates into a gun shape also) because it is cordless
> but I am afraid it will turn out to be weak and more of a drinks blender
> than a processor.

Stick blenders are for *blending*. If you want a food processor, buy a
food processor.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/12/2012 12:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/4/2012 9:20 PM, z z wrote:
>> Cheap enough to not feel guilty about trying it.
>>
>> I, too, have been hemming and hawing about getting a stick blender-my
>> quandary is that I really want to buy the ?Oster? rechargeable stick
>> blender (handle rotates into a gun shape also) because it is cordless
>> but I am afraid it will turn out to be weak and more of a drinks blender
>> than a processor.
>>

> Stick blenders are for *blending*. If you want a food processor, buy a
> food processor.

If they were just for blending they would probably have wider paddles
and would be a lot slower. I just used mine a few minutes ago to puree
a batch of butternut squash soup. It was a heck of a lot easier to plug
in the stick blender, puree the soup with it, wash it and put it back
than it would have been to get out the food processor and pour the soup
into to it and then pour it back into the pot. That would have meant the
work of getting out the FP, using it, washing all the parts, drying them
and putting everything away again. It was so much easier to use the
stick blender.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 12:12*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Anyway the cheap is often expensive... I'd choose quality over
> quantity... I can't imagine a $7 blender is going to work well or last
> long.

Depends on the use. A cheap stick blender is weaker than the
more expensive ones. That's not good for mixing food, but is good for
cleaning out one's ass. I'm not kidding. Take the stick and use a
sharp knife to cut grooves into it both horizontally and vertically,
top to bottom. When you're done taking a crap, forget about toilet
paper. Just grab the cleaned and ready stick machine and gently
insert it up your ass before turning it on and letting it rev every
last vestige of waste from the end of your shit pipe. Sure, you have
to clean it after every use which might prove to be more of a burden
than using toilet paper. But it's more environmentally friendly and
it takes up less space. As for cleaning, I never actually wash it in
the traditional sense. I just run it under water, then place it in a
tall glass of rubbing alcohol until the next use. I'm working with an
inventor friend on a new grooved a-hole stick that fits into the
toilet, submerged in the water unseen until the toilet is flushed, at
which time the stick gently rises out of the water like the fist
rising out of the water in the movie Deliverance - and gently enters
the asshole before being automatically switched into rotation mode 2
seconds later. 15 seconds of rotation and the grooved tube slides out
of your ass and back into the water where it waits for it's next use.

These are the ideas of the future from one who lives in the past - a
groovy combination man, a really groovy combination....

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2012 4:28 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 05/12/2012 12:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/4/2012 9:20 PM, z z wrote:
>>> Cheap enough to not feel guilty about trying it.
>>>
>>> I, too, have been hemming and hawing about getting a stick blender-my
>>> quandary is that I really want to buy the ?Oster? rechargeable stick
>>> blender (handle rotates into a gun shape also) because it is cordless
>>> but I am afraid it will turn out to be weak and more of a drinks blender
>>> than a processor.
>>>

>> Stick blenders are for *blending*. If you want a food processor, buy a
>> food processor.

> If they were just for blending they would probably have wider paddles
> and would be a lot slower. I just used mine a few minutes ago to puree
> a batch of butternut squash soup. It was a heck of a lot easier to plug
> in the stick blender, puree the soup with it, wash it and put it back
> than it would have been to get out the food processor and pour the soup
> into to it and then pour it back into the pot. That would have meant the
> work of getting out the FP, using it, washing all the parts, drying them
> and putting everything away again. It was so much easier to use the
> stick blender.

I use mine primarily for soups (yep, butternut squash) and sauces. I
guess I'm getting mixed up by the term "processor". I own a food
processor, too, but rarely ever use it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Somebody" > wrote:

> my ex just called from Aldi and said they have a Crofton stick blender for
> only $6.99. It has the blender attachment, a cup, and food chopper
> accessory. Sounds like quite a deal! I thought the 14.99 one at the JCP
> Outlet the other day was a good deal, but it does not have the cup or food
> chopper implement.

Did you buy it? I use all the add-ons that my (Braun) has.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of August 20, 2012
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Somebody" > wrote:
>
>> my ex just called from Aldi and said they have a Crofton stick blender
>> for
>> only $6.99. It has the blender attachment, a cup, and food chopper
>> accessory. Sounds like quite a deal! I thought the 14.99 one at the JCP
>> Outlet the other day was a good deal, but it does not have the cup or
>> food
>> chopper implement.

> Did you buy it? I use all the add-ons that my (Braun) has.
> --

Yes, and so far I love it. Hope it lasts! (I bought 2 as xmas presents for
relatives.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Somebody" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Did you buy it? I use all the add-ons that my (Braun) has.
> > --

> Yes, and so far I love it. Hope it lasts! (I bought 2 as xmas presents for
> relatives.)

Good on you!!