curious

Default cooking on gas vs. electric stove?

Hello,
Recently, we moved to a new home which has
a kenmore gas stove. My mother experiences
some headaches and other symptoms. I was
wondering if I should get an electric stove.

Which types of stoves emit less heat, gas
or electric? Which is healthier to use?

I just wanted to get some feedback.

Thank you,
Mark

curious wrote:

> Hello,
> Recently, we moved to a new home which has
> a kenmore gas stove. My mother experiences
> some headaches and other symptoms. I was
> wondering if I should get an electric stove.

You wouldn't catch me trading any gas for electric.

What part of the country do you live in? Sounds like an odd question,
there is a point.

Several weeks ago it started getting cold so people who heat with gas
started using fuel, I believe this stirred up the 'stink' that settles
out during inactive periods in the gas lines, AKA Summer.

I noticed my range started making some God Awful stink about the time
the furnace started running. It was nauseous. I'm pretty sure I smelt it
with the last range. [long story deleted/ omitted].

It has passed. Least I hope.

Your Ma may be reacting to a temporary condition. Hopefully you can work
out a system to get around the periods of high stink. I hope so as I
couldn't see going back to a pure electric if I had to.

gini52

"curious" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
> Recently, we moved to a new home which has
> a kenmore gas stove. My mother experiences
> some headaches and other symptoms. I was
> wondering if I should get an electric stove.

==
It is possible for your mother to have a sensitivity to residual gas fumes,
especially if she is prone to migraines and/or allergies. The symptoms may
not be caused by the
range, however. There might be another irritant in the house you are not
aware of or she could have an unrelated health problem. If not, you might
have to consider getting an electric stove. It seems her first step, though,
should be to see a doctor.
==
==

jacqui{JB}

"curious" > wrote in message
om...

> Recently, we moved to a new home which has
> a kenmore gas stove. My mother experiences
> some headaches and other symptoms. I was
> wondering if I should get an electric stove.

Getting rid of your stove right now might be a bit premature. I
*strongly* recommend having a competent repairperson come out and
check for small gas leaks. If you don't want to pay for a service
call (personally, I think the $50 or so it'll cost is well worth it),
call your local gas and electric company to see if they offer such a
service free of charge -- some of them do.

> Which types of stoves emit less heat, gas
> or electric?

Why would you want less heat? Or do you mean which type tends to have
better oven insulation so as to not throw out additional heat to the
surrounding areas (like adjacent walls and cabinets)?

> Which is healthier to use?

I don't think one is healthier than the other, assuming your gas stove
is in good working order and you live in an area with a clean-burning
gas supply (apparently some gas burns cleaner than others, has fewer
impurities, whatever -- who knew?).

> I just wanted to get some feedback.

Have your stove inspected *soon* (carbon monoxide poisoning is no
joking matter). You might want to consider keeping a window open in
the kitchen until you *do* have the stove looked at, but that's *not*
a long-term solution. Make sure your mother is evaluated by a
competent doctor *soon*.

Other than that, use the style of stove you like the best, assuming
you have a choice. I'd just about kill for another gas stove, but our
flat isn't piped for gas and I'm informed that, even if it were, the
gas available doesn't burn particularly clean, and leaves a dark,
grimy residue.

-j