Posted to rec.food.cooking
EZ EZ is offline

Default Upgrade electric stove

Hi, folks,

Well, for one reason or another that would take too much bandwidth to go
into, I'm having to cancel my order for a new Viking gas range. So, I have
this 30" GE electric coil cooktop that I put in myself to replace an ancient
push-button electric coil top range that was beyond its prime, if it ever
had one. I knew when I put it in that I'd be replacing it in a couple-three
years, and those couple-three years are now past.

My choices now are to stay with this range, which is barely adequate, or
upgrade to a ceramic electric cooktop. I don't think I want to go induction.
And, again for reasons that would take too long, gas isn't really an option.
And, I already have a new wall oven, so buying a whole range isn't in the
cards.

So, I'm wondering what I will get if I spend the money to replace this
coil-type cooktop with a ceramic cooktop? Is the performance increase enough
to justify the expense?

Thanks for listening. Have a cyber beverage of your choice on me, especially
if you reply!

EZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"EZ" > wrote in message

> So, I'm wondering what I will get if I spend the money to replace this
> coil-type cooktop with a ceramic cooktop? Is the performance increase
> enough to justify the expense?

You get a range that is pretty, but does not necessarily cook any better.
Start by comparing the wattage of the burners.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"EZ" wrote:

> Well, for one reason or another that would take too much bandwidth to go
> into, I'm having to cancel my order for a new Viking gas range.

We've got plenty of bandwidth.

> And, again for reasons that would take too long, gas isn't really an option.

Why not... and make it good.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 7:18?pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> "EZ" wrote:
>
> > Well, for one reason or another that would take too much bandwidth to go
> > into, I'm having to cancel my order for a new Viking gas range.

> We've got plenty of bandwidth.
>
> > And, again for reasons that would take too long, gas isn't really an option.

> Why not... and make it good.
>
> Sheldon

I find my new Jenn Air electric very nice. The wok coil element from
my old Jenn Air works in the new one and it makes for great stir fry.
I tried a ceramic top range and did not like it at all. Just my
opinion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
EZ EZ is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "EZ" > wrote in message
>>
>> So, I'm wondering what I will get if I spend the money to replace
>> this coil-type cooktop with a ceramic cooktop? Is the performance
>> increase enough to justify the expense?

> You get a range that is pretty, but does not necessarily cook any
> better. Start by comparing the wattage of the burners.

Thanks for your reply. That's kinda what I thought.

Google is your friend. From the Whirlpool site:

"Electric range output is measured in Watts. Electric coil ranges usually
have two high-output elements (8-inch coils rated 2,600 Watts) and two
low-output elements (6-inch coils rated 1,500 Watts). For smoothtop ranges,
different models have different combinations of elements. Small, low-output
elements with ratings from 1,200 to 1,500 Watts are sized for a small
saucepan. A medium-output element (typically 1,800 watts or so) would handle
a larger saucepan or small frying pan. High-output elements of 2,000 watts
or more will accommodate large pots such as a stockpot. Some models also
offer a high-speed coil-a helpful feature that provides fast,
high-temperatures for boiling and frying."

EZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking
EZ EZ is offline

pamjd wrote:

> I find my new Jenn Air electric very nice. The wok coil element from
> my old Jenn Air works in the new one and it makes for great stir fry.
> I tried a ceramic top range and did not like it at all. Just my
> opinion.

Thanks for your opinion. I am leaning toward just keeping my GE 30" coil
cooktop. I installed it myself about 2 or 3 years ago, to replace a
push-button unit that was failing. I thought I'd want a better range after a
few years, but I kinda like this one. It's stainless steel, and still shiny
after a few years. With lots of different folks cooking on it, including
kids in from out of town, it's very easy to use, nearly indestructable, and
if I ever burn out a coil (as I've done in the past with other units), it's
a two-second job to unplug the bad one and plug in a new one. And there's no
glass cooktop to worry about.

Looks like I've talked myself into staying pat with this one. Thanks for the
assistance.

EZ