Slowing banana ripening?

Old 25-03-2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slowing banana ripening?

Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
(that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
green bananas and they last for five or six days.

Any tips?

TIA

Ken

Old 25-03-2008, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
(that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
green bananas and they last for five or six days.

It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in the
refrigerator as they get to the point where you like them. It will
darken the skin but the fruit remains fairly unaffected, albeit cold to
eat out of hand.
Old 25-03-2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
(that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
green bananas and they last for five or six days.

Any tips?

Freeze them. Peel and roll each in a sheet of waxpaper, twist the
ends like a giant hard candy and place in freezer. Eat frozen,
they're delicious, like banana ice cream. You can also coat with
chocolate and nuts before freezing. I really enjoy watching women
mouth frozen bananas.

Old 25-03-2008, 10:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote on Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:37:11 -0400:

G Ken wrote:
?? Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch
?? of yellows (that's all they had, no green ones) last
?? Saturday and by Tuesday the skins were covered with big
?? brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly green bananas
?? and they last for five or six days.

G It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in
G the refrigerator as they get to the point where you like
G them. It will darken the skin but the fruit remains fairly
G unaffected, albeit cold to eat out of hand.

I does work and I have to do it since my preference in a
naturally ripened banana is one with just a hint of green in the
skin. When I was member of a household of 4, it was easy since
tastes ranged from mine to my son's who liked them good and
brown!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 26-03-2008, 02:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 25, 5:37*pm, Goomba38 wrote:
Ken wrote:
Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
(that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
green bananas and they last for five or six days.

It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in the
refrigerator as they get to the point where you like them. It will
darken the skin but the fruit remains fairly unaffected, albeit cold to
eat out of hand.

I do that, and 20 seconds in the microwave makes the banana nearly
room temperature. Of course, I typically only slice them up onto my
cereal.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 26-03-2008, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch of yellows
(that's all they had, no green ones) last Saturday and by Tuesday the
skins were covered with big brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly
green bananas and they last for five or six days.

It might be too late for this batch but you can put them in the
refrigerator as they get to the point where you like them. It will darken
the skin but the fruit remains fairly unaffected, albeit cold to eat out
of hand.

I consulted an expert on this, Chiquita Banana. This was her response:

"I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have to ripen in a
certain way- When they are fleck'd with brown and have a golden hue -
Bananas taste the best and are best for you - You can put them in a salad -
You can put them in a pie-aye - Any way you want to eat them - It's
impossible to beat them - But, bananas like the climate of the very, very
tropical equator - So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator."

There ya go.

Paul

Old 26-03-2008, 07:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul wrote on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:45:18 GMT:

PMC "Goomba38" wrote in message
PMC ...
?? Ken wrote:
?? Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch
?? of yellows (that's all they had, no green ones) last
?? Saturday and by Tuesday the skins were covered with big
?? brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly green
?? bananas and they last for five or six days.
??
?? It might be too late for this batch but you can put them
?? in the refrigerator as they get to the point where you
?? like them. It will darken the skin but the fruit remains
?? fairly unaffected, albeit cold to eat out of hand.

PMC I consulted an expert on this, Chiquita Banana. This was
PMC her response:

PMC "I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have
PMC to ripen in a certain way- When they are fleck'd with
PMC brown and have a golden hue - Bananas taste the best and
PMC are best for you - You can put them in a salad - You can
PMC put them in a pie-aye - Any way you want to eat them -
PMC It's impossible to beat them - But, bananas like the
PMC climate of the very, very tropical equator - So you should
PMC never put bananas in the refrigerator."

My wife used to sing that jingle to annoy me!

Old 26-03-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 2:45*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
"Goomba38" wrote in message

Ken wrote:
[...]

I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. Once they're past
that,
they go in the garbage. Refrigerating them is the best compromise
I've
found.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 26-03-2008, 10:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. Once they're past
that, they go in the garbage. Refrigerating them is the best
compromise I've found.

Garbage! Unborn loaves of banana bread cried out, then were silent.

Brian

won't shut up.
Old 26-03-2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" wrote in message

Ken wrote:
[...]

Have you ever heard of banana bread? Banana muffins? Seems so wasteful to
toss them when they need to be all mushy to worin in said pastries.

Paul

Old 26-03-2008, 11:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. Once they're
past that, they go in the garbage. Refrigerating them is the best
compromise I've found.

Garbage! Unborn loaves of banana bread cried out, then were silent.

Brian

Ahhh, so very true! Banana bread cries out for overripe bananas... or is it
the other way around?

Jill

Old 27-03-2008, 01:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. Once they're
past that, they go in the garbage. Refrigerating them is the best
compromise I've found.

Garbage! Unborn loaves of banana bread cried out, then were silent.

Brian

Ahhh, so very true! Banana bread cries out for overripe bananas... or is
it the other way around?

Jill

So does Chunky Monkey Ice Cream!

KW

Old 27-03-2008, 02:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 6:12*pm, "Default User" wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I like bananas only at a certain stage of ripeness. *Once they're past
that, they go in the garbage. *Refrigerating them is the best
compromise I've found.

Garbage! Unborn loaves of banana bread cried out, then were silent.

Ohhh, I don't think two morbidly obese people need banana bread or
any of those other treats you can make with overripe bananas.

Using the refrigerator for banana storage is banana-bread birth
control.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 27-03-2008, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:45:18 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"Goomba38" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
[...]

i hear chiquita banana was really a white lady from yonkers.

your pal,
blake