Posted to rec.food.preserving
Hermione

Default Canning Slowing Down - Herb Jelly?

Canning is slowing to a crawl here. I canned up vegetable stock
yesterday and beef stock the day before. We had a heavier frost last
night so the end of the really cheap produce is nearing. Squashes are
still very cheap so I might can up some pumpkin but the other squash
will be eaten fresh or frozen. My basil and other herbs are still doing
ok so I was thinking of making a basil jelly. Does anyone have a good
recipe for herb jelly?
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Hermione > wrote:

> Canning is slowing to a crawl here. I canned up vegetable stock
> yesterday and beef stock the day before. We had a heavier frost last
> night so the end of the really cheap produce is nearing. Squashes are
> still very cheap so I might can up some pumpkin but the other squash
> will be eaten fresh or frozen. My basil and other herbs are still doing
> ok so I was thinking of making a basil jelly. Does anyone have a good
> recipe for herb jelly?

I use the recipe on the pectin leaflet for mint jelly, subbing herbs. I
do it with purple basil. Make an infusion with the chopped herbs and
water; strain and proceed. Check the SureJell or Certo websites, too.
<www.surejell.com>
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Dianna Visek

It's actually much tastier if you use a liquid other than water. I
steep herbs in apple cider, orange juice, wine, etc. and then make
jelly. It' won't be clear, but it will be delicious!

Regards, Dianna

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:11:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Hermione > wrote:
>
>> Canning is slowing to a crawl here. I canned up vegetable stock
>> yesterday and beef stock the day before. We had a heavier frost last
>> night so the end of the really cheap produce is nearing. Squashes are
>> still very cheap so I might can up some pumpkin but the other squash
>> will be eaten fresh or frozen. My basil and other herbs are still doing
>> ok so I was thinking of making a basil jelly. Does anyone have a good
>> recipe for herb jelly?

>I use the recipe on the pectin leaflet for mint jelly, subbing herbs. I
>do it with purple basil. Make an infusion with the chopped herbs and
>water; strain and proceed. Check the SureJell or Certo websites, too.
><www.surejell.com>

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Dianna Visek > wrote:

> It's actually much tastier if you use a liquid other than water. I
> steep herbs in apple cider, orange juice, wine, etc. and then make
> jelly. It' won't be clear, but it will be delicious!
>
> Regards, Dianna

(snip)

> >I use the recipe on the pectin leaflet for mint jelly, subbing herbs. I
> >do it with purple basil. Make an infusion with the chopped herbs and
> >water; strain and proceed. Check the SureJell or Certo websites, too.
> ><www.surejell.com>

I've used apple juice but nothing else. Interesting ideas, though.
Thanks.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

Dianna Visek wrote:
> It's actually much tastier if you use a liquid other than water. I
> steep herbs in apple cider, orange juice, wine, etc. and then make
> jelly. It' won't be clear, but it will be delicious!
>
> Regards, Dianna
>

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:11:59 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

>>In article >,
>>Hermione > wrote:
>>

>>>Canning is slowing to a crawl here. I canned up vegetable stock
>>>yesterday and beef stock the day before. We had a heavier frost last
>>>night so the end of the really cheap produce is nearing. Squashes are
>>>still very cheap so I might can up some pumpkin but the other squash
>>>will be eaten fresh or frozen. My basil and other herbs are still doing
>>>ok so I was thinking of making a basil jelly. Does anyone have a good
>>>recipe for herb jelly?

>>I use the recipe on the pectin leaflet for mint jelly, subbing herbs. I
>>do it with purple basil. Make an infusion with the chopped herbs and
>>water; strain and proceed. Check the SureJell or Certo websites, too.
>><www.surejell.com>

> To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

white wine steeped herbs do produce a clear jelly.
Ellen

Posted to rec.food.preserving

>Canning is slowing to a crawl here.

I've got canning I still haven't gotten to like a considerable amount
of fruit still waiting to be made into jam. Then there is whatever
meat comes on a good loss-leader sale. It's a three day weekend coming
up so I may make some jam. My wife is going into full-bore Christmas
Gift Buying mode so I may be able to head her off somewhat by offering
to make some presents. A loaf of homemade bread and a jar of homemade
jam has got to be better than yet another store bought knick knack!

......Alan.