Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slowing banana ripening?

Paul wrote on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:45:18 GMT:

PMC> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
??>> Ken wrote:
??>>> Any tricks to slow down banana ripening? I bought a bunch
??>>> of yellows (that's all they had, no green ones) last
??>>> Saturday and by Tuesday the skins were covered with big
??>>> brown splotches. I usually try to buy mostly green
??>>> bananas and they last for five or six days.
??>>
??>> It might be too late for this batch but you can put them
??>> in the refrigerator as they get to the point where you
??>> like them. It will darken the skin but the fruit remains
??>> fairly unaffected, albeit cold to eat out of hand.

PMC> I consulted an expert on this, Chiquita Banana. This was
PMC> her response:

PMC> "I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have
PMC> to ripen in a certain way- When they are fleck'd with
PMC> brown and have a golden hue - Bananas taste the best and
PMC> are best for you - You can put them in a salad - You can
PMC> put them in a pie-aye - Any way you want to eat them -
PMC> It's impossible to beat them - But, bananas like the
PMC> climate of the very, very tropical equator - So you should
PMC> never put bananas in the refrigerator."

My wife used to sing that jingle to annoy me!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not