Carl West

Default Slowing the counter-top rise

My daily-bread procedure includes letting the dough rise in the pan
under the inverted mixing bowl on the counter while I sleep. With the
warmer weather, it gets out of hand and flops over the edge of the pan
by the time I get up.

Two answers I've used:

- Let it do it and just pull the 'ears' up over its head and bake it
anyway. Works fairly well, but sometimes there are weird voids that
interfere with sandwich making.

- Realize it's gonna be a warm night and take one of the gel packs out
of the freezer, put it on top of the mixing bowl and put a couple of
towels over the whole thing. I've had good luck with it and I don't have
to make room in the fridge.

Yeah, I guess I could modify the recipe for warmer weather, but that'd
be work.

--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
Dick Adams

"Carl West" > wrote in message =

> ... With the warmer weather, (the dough) gets out of hand and flops=20
> over the edge of the pan by the time I get up.

A firm dough (~60% hydration), optimally kneaded, should rise vertically
quite a way before it poops out.

---
DickA

Carl West

Dick Adams wrote:

> "Carl West" > wrote in message news:mNCAc.68609$HG.5754@attbi_s53...
>

>>... With the warmer weather, (the dough) gets out of hand and flops
>>over the edge of the pan by the time I get up.

> A firm dough (~60% hydration), optimally kneaded, should rise vertically
> quite a way before it poops out.

I'm running a bit slacker than that. I'm liking the crumb texture I'm
getting.

The slacker dough will will go vertical for a while, but left in the
warm, it goes horizontal long before I have any interest in getting up.

I keep a few gel packs in the freezer anyway, so it's an easy thing for
me to do.

--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
Robert Dodd

Carl West wrote:
> My daily-bread procedure includes letting the dough rise in the pan
> under the inverted mixing bowl on the counter while I sleep. With the
> warmer weather, it gets out of hand and flops over the edge of the pan
> by the time I get up.
>
> Two answers I've used:
>
> - Let it do it and just pull the 'ears' up over its head and bake it
> anyway. Works fairly well, but sometimes there are weird voids that
> interfere with sandwich making.
>
> - Realize it's gonna be a warm night and take one of the gel packs out
> of the freezer, put it on top of the mixing bowl and put a couple of
> towels over the whole thing. I've had good luck with it and I don't have
> to make room in the fridge.
>
> Yeah, I guess I could modify the recipe for warmer weather, but that'd
> be work.

An alternative, which is what I often do, is proof in the fridge.
Proofing all the way in the fridge, without first proofing normally, it
takes like 2-3 days, however, you can proof it partially on the
countertop for a couple hours, then throw it in the fridge in half-full
gallon size ziplock bags. Additionally, I think, the slower proof adds
flavor.

Carl West

Robert Dodd wrote:

> Carl West wrote:
>
>> ... With the
>> warmer weather,
>> ... take one of the gel packs out
>> of the freezer, put it on top of the mixing bowl and put a couple of
>> towels over the whole thing. I've had good luck with it and I don't
>> have to make room in the fridge.

> An alternative, which is what I often do, is proof in the fridge.
> Proofing all the way in the fridge, without first proofing normally, it
> takes like 2-3 days, however, you can proof it partially on the
> countertop for a couple hours, then throw it in the fridge in half-full
> gallon size ziplock bags. Additionally, I think, the slower proof adds
> flavor.

Ah, but that presumes having room in the fridge. Those shelves are
horizontal and I have a serious case of horizontal-surface disease.

Part of what I like about making my own bread is that it forces me to
have a clear, clean piece of counter on a regular basis.

The ups and downs of bachelor living.

--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.

Carl West