Peach Infused Vodka

Old 23-06-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peach Infused Vodka

Got a question for you folks. It's peach season here in the South and my
husband wanted to try making some peach infused vodka. I've got an idea of
how many peaches I need for a 750 ml pet of vodka, but my question is: do I
leave the skins ON the peaches going into the vodka or off? Do the skins
tend to leave more of a peach flavor, a bitter flavor or doesn't it matter?

I was hoping someone in the group could help. I've googled and all I come
up with are recipes for martinis or drinks using peach infused vodka, not
the particulars on how to make it.

The vodka isn't for me, by the way, but for the hubby. He's trying to
reproduce a flavor similar to McCormick's Peach Vodka (which he loved) that
he only found in Tennessee and can't get anymore.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

kili

Old 23-06-2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:08:54 -0400, "kilikini"
wrote:

Got a question for you folks. It's peach season here in the South and my
husband wanted to try making some peach infused vodka. I've got an idea of
how many peaches I need for a 750 ml pet of vodka, but my question is: do I
leave the skins ON the peaches going into the vodka or off? Do the skins
tend to leave more of a peach flavor, a bitter flavor or doesn't it matter?

I was hoping someone in the group could help. I've googled and all I come
up with are recipes for martinis or drinks using peach infused vodka, not
the particulars on how to make it.

The vodka isn't for me, by the way, but for the hubby. He's trying to
reproduce a flavor similar to McCormick's Peach Vodka (which he loved) that
he only found in Tennessee and can't get anymore.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

I'd do it with the peel off. Heck, slice them too.

http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/boa.../MAY/1657.html
http://www.infused-vodka.com/index.a...TS&Category=17

Good Luck!

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 23-06-2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I was kind of thinking peel off, too. Thanks!

kili

Old 23-06-2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote
Got a question for you folks. It's peach season here in the South
and my husband wanted to try making some peach infused vodka. I've
got an idea of how many peaches I need for a 750 ml pet of vodka, but
my question is: do I leave the skins ON the peaches going into the
vodka or off? Do the skins tend to leave more of a peach flavor, a
bitter flavor or doesn't it matter?

Skins off. You'll get better contact between the peaches and the vodka that
way. Oh, and slice the peaches in half or quarters.

I was hoping someone in the group could help. I've googled and all I
come up with are recipes for martinis or drinks using peach infused
vodka, not the particulars on how to make it.

It'll need to steep for several months. The longer, the better.

The vodka isn't for me, by the way, but for the hubby. He's trying to
reproduce a flavor similar to McCormick's Peach Vodka (which he
loved) that he only found in Tennessee and can't get anymore.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

kili

I'm betting that using "Tennessee Spring Water" would be better than Vodka,
but it's harder to find down here, and with shipping, handling and carrying
charges, much more expensive.
;-)

BOB

Old 23-06-2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:
"kilikini" wrote
[...]

I was thinking skins off, too, but the hubby went ahead and made it, skins
on. He couldn't wait an hour or so to get a response from people who are
more in the know than we are. Well, it's his beverage. I'm not going to
drink it.

kili

Old 23-06-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

Got a question for you folks. It's peach season here in the South and my
husband wanted to try making some peach infused vodka. I've got an idea of
how many peaches I need for a 750 ml pet of vodka, but my question is: do I
leave the skins ON the peaches going into the vodka or off? Do the skins
tend to leave more of a peach flavor, a bitter flavor or doesn't it matter?

In Russia, peach-infused vodka was and still is traditionally made with
peach stones. Stones were pounded, put in vodka and left for one or two
weeks. Then the vodka was distilled (distilling things is second nature
to a lot of Russians). I suspect that is how commercial peach infusions
of this kind are made to this day.

However, you can just put a cut-up skinned peach in vodka for a couple
weeks and then carefully strain through several layers of cheesecloth.
It won't resemble any commercial product, though.

Victor
Old 23-06-2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"kilikini" wrote:

Got a question for you folks. It's peach season here in the South and my
husband wanted to try making some peach infused vodka. I've got an idea of
how many peaches I need for a 750 ml pet of vodka, but my question is: do I
leave the skins ON the peaches going into the vodka or off? Do the skins
tend to leave more of a peach flavor, a bitter flavor or doesn't it matter?

I was hoping someone in the group could help. I've googled and all I come
up with are recipes for martinis or drinks using peach infused vodka, not
the particulars on how to make it.

The vodka isn't for me, by the way, but for the hubby. He's trying to
reproduce a flavor similar to McCormick's Peach Vodka (which he loved) that
he only found in Tennessee and can't get anymore.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

kili

I'd use dried peaches personally for flavor concentration...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 24-06-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
kilikini wrote:

However, you can just put a cut-up skinned peach in vodka for a couple
weeks and then carefully strain through several layers of cheesecloth.
It won't resemble any commercial product, though.

Victor

Isn't that probably better? :~)

kili

Old 24-06-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 2:08?pm, "kilikini" wrote:
Got a question for you folks. It's peach season here in the South and my
husband wanted to try making some peach infused vodka. I've got an idea of
how many peaches I need for a 750 ml pet of vodka, but my question is: do I
leave the skins ON the peaches going into the vodka or off? Do the skins
tend to leave more of a peach flavor, a bitter flavor or doesn't it matter?

I was hoping someone in the group could help. I've googled and all I come
up with are recipes for martinis or drinks using peach infused vodka, not
the particulars on how to make it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

Why would anyone need peach vodka when they have vodka and you...
maybe licking lessons are in order! hehe

Old 24-06-2007, 12:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
Got a question for you folks. It's peach season here in the South and my
husband wanted to try making some peach infused vodka. I've got an idea of
how many peaches I need for a 750 ml pet of vodka, but my question is: do I
leave the skins ON the peaches going into the vodka or off? Do the skins
tend to leave more of a peach flavor, a bitter flavor or doesn't it matter?

I was hoping someone in the group could help. I've googled and all I come
up with are recipes for martinis or drinks using peach infused vodka, not
the particulars on how to make it.

The vodka isn't for me, by the way, but for the hubby. He's trying to
reproduce a flavor similar to McCormick's Peach Vodka (which he loved) that
he only found in Tennessee and can't get anymore.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

kili

Leave the skins on, but break them or cut up the fruit: I think the
skins will give the infusion a blush wine-like tinge. At least that's
what happened when I poached some peaches in a rose flavored syrup a
few weeks ago. It was very pretty.

-bwg

-bwg

Old 24-06-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

Victor Sack wrote:
kilikini wrote:

However, you can just put a cut-up skinned peach in vodka for a couple
weeks and then carefully strain through several layers of cheesecloth.
It won't resemble any commercial product, though.

Isn't that probably better? :~)

Very probably! Not anything like McCormick's Peach Vodka, though.

Victor
Old 24-06-2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"kilikini" wrote:

Got a question for you folks. It's peach season here in the South and my
husband wanted to try making some peach infused vodka. I've got an idea of
how many peaches I need for a 750 ml pet of vodka, but my question is: do I
leave the skins ON the peaches going into the vodka or off? Do the skins
tend to leave more of a peach flavor, a bitter flavor or doesn't it matter?

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.
kili

Peel the peaches and take out the pit.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Old 24-06-2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote
BOB wrote:
"kilikini" wrote
[...]

My bet says he can't let it steep for much more than a week. If that long.

BOB
is it done yet?