Old 17-05-2014, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default infused vodka?

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

TIA

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Old 17-05-2014, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2014 12:50 PM, sf wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

I'd have thought you could test the pineapple by eating a piece to see
if there is any flavor left. I make my own pepper vodka by soaking ancho
peppers and the flavor is pretty well extracted.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old 17-05-2014, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf [email protected] wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

Freeze the pineapple and add:
1 ripe frozen banana
1 big scoop nilla ice cream
1 big glug Coco Lopez
1 pint whole milk
6 ice cubes
2 ounces rum
Whiz to make 1 Big Ass smoothie.
Old 17-05-2014, 06:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2014 10:13:31 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
wrote:

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:50:39 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the

fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something

else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless

and should just be thrown out?

did you taste it?

What did I say that led you to think I made any at this point?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Old 17-05-2014, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2014 13:25:58 -0400, James Silverton
wrote:

On 5/17/2014 12:50 PM, sf wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

I'd have thought you could test the pineapple by eating a piece to see
if there is any flavor left. I make my own pepper vodka by soaking ancho
peppers and the flavor is pretty well extracted.

Thanks.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Old 17-05-2014, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

Taste a piece.

It should be fine in anything.

---

Old 17-05-2014, 10:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2014 11:50 AM, sf wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

TIA

I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.

....and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.

It must be the Russian in me :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Old 17-05-2014, 11:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2014 16:20:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 5/17/2014 11:50 AM, sf wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

TIA

I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.

...and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.

It must be the Russian in me :-)

Perfectly good vodka, NYET?
Crystal Palace is just as perfectly good as the priciest vodka but it
costs only $15 for 1.75 liters because they don't advertise and it's
marketed "plain vanilla" so I drink it with cherry Coke/Pepsi with
ice. When the big name distillers market flavored vodkas at inflated
prices it's what they do with batches that turned out skanky. That's
what a lot of beverage producers do, when OJ producers market
pineapple, tangerine, strawbery flavored etc. it's because some
batches of pure OJ turned out skanky. That's whats done with skanky
coffee, it's flavored, and they price it higher because it's
"special"... nothing special about flavored coffees other than
otherwise it's skanky. When your butcher sells you marinated meat,
guess what, SKANKY!
Old 17-05-2014, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.

...and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.

It must be the Russian in me :-)

Drink enough vodka, and you won't be russian any more.
Staggering maybe, but russian. I've never looked closely into how
vodka is made, other than it was traditionally from potatoes. I'll
have to investigate these flavourings of which you speak of.

Old 17-05-2014, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
raspberries.
Old 17-05-2014, 11:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-17 1:58 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
"sf" wrote in message

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

Taste a piece.

It should be fine in anything.

Except that the flavour infused into the alcohol won't be in the fruit
anymore.

Old 17-05-2014, 11:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 5/17/2014 11:50 AM, sf wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

TIA

I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.

...and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.

It must be the Russian in me :-)

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Old 17-05-2014, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 May 2014 18:06:51 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
raspberries.

Yeah, I thought berries would do that but I wasn't sure about
pineapple... I'm thinking about doing it with lemon now. It would be
a better all purpose vodka - good for sipping by itself and I could
also use it to turn an Arnold Palmer into a John Daly.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Old 17-05-2014, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
raspberries.

I have jars of cherries done the same way, albeit without the sugar.
They're about 3.5 years old now... they're a big hit with the ladies
in particular during summertime.