How much brisket per person?

Old 02-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Comcast
Usenet poster

Default How much brisket per person?

I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be enough
for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

Old 02-07-2005, 09:00 PM
F.G. Whitfurrows
Usenet poster

Comcast wrote:
I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small
appetites?

Not around my house. You better figger that brisket is gonna shrink quite a
bit and then you'll have to take the fat off (unless its already trimmed).
Fix hot dogs for the kids and make a big pot of beans. Serve lots of
appetizers. Serve heavy beer, none of that LITE crap! That all oughtta help
a bit.:-)

--
The Honorable Reverend
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows

--Weddings performed for a nominal fee.
--Beer accepted in lieu of cash payment.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:15 PM
TFM®
Usenet poster

"F.G. Whitfurrows" wrote in message

Comcast wrote:
I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small
appetites?

Not around my house. You better figger that brisket is gonna shrink quite

bit and then you'll have to take the fat off (unless its already trimmed).
Fix hot dogs for the kids and make a big pot of beans. Serve lots of
appetizers. Serve heavy beer, none of that LITE crap! That all oughtta

help
a bit.:-)

I concur. A 7 pounder would do good to last a night here with just me and
my lovely wife.

Figure you'll lose 50% of the weight just cooking it, then there's still fat
that if not eaten, gets tossed.

TFM®

Old 03-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Edwin Pawlowski
Usenet poster

"Comcast" . wrote in message news
I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

You'll end up with 4 1/2 to 5 pounds of cooked meat. Plenty for that sized
crowd. Figure 8 oz per male, 5 - 6 oz. per female.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old 03-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Thomas Muffaletto
Usenet poster

"Comcast" . wrote in message news
I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

I do believe that cooks on direct heat? --- really not sure about that
but I think I remember Alton Brown just dropping it on wood coals.
if its direct heat have some chicken or sausage that cooks indirect on the
sides?
just trying to help out.
Tom

Old 03-07-2005, 01:11 AM
cory
Usenet poster

Thomas Muffaletto wrote:
"Comcast" . wrote in message news
I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

I do believe that cooks on direct heat? --- really not sure about that
but I think I remember Alton Brown just dropping it on wood coals.

What are you smoking? Not brisket, obviously.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:41 AM
The Naked Whiz
Usenet poster

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:04:21 GMT, "Thomas Muffaletto"
wrote:

"Comcast" . wrote in message news
I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

I do believe that cooks on direct heat? --- really not sure about that
but I think I remember Alton Brown just dropping it on wood coals.
if its direct heat have some chicken or sausage that cooks indirect on the
sides?
just trying to help out.
Tom

Brisket doesn't cook directly on the coals. Brisket cooks low and
very slow. What you are referring to is his episode "Raising the
Steaks" where he did flank or skirt steak directly on the coals for 60
seconds per side.

TNW
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
http://www.lump-charcoal.com/
Old 03-07-2005, 03:59 AM
TT
Usenet poster

Thanks for the comments.

I always hate to risk running out (and I wouldn't mind some leftover on the
brisket) so I picked up some split chicken breasts that I will cook on my
Weber kettle grill with indirect heat, lid on and some oak and hickory.
Chicken done this way is delicious.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Thomas Muffaletto
Usenet poster

"TT" . wrote in message ...
Thanks for the comments.

I always hate to risk running out (and I wouldn't mind some leftover on
the brisket) so I picked up some split chicken breasts that I will cook on
my Weber kettle grill with indirect heat, lid on and some oak and hickory.
Chicken done this way is delicious.

I would have to agrea with the person that said i was wrong about the
brisket
cooking on direct heat.
for desert I am makine smores - marshmellow and chocolate gram cracker
sandwich - wrapped in foil melted nicely on the grill.
Tom

Old 03-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Brick
Usenet poster

Comcast wrote:
[...]

I netted 9# from a 13# packer cut the last time I cooked one. The tip
reached
201° internal in six hours. The flat further from the firebox took seven to
reach
195°. The grate temperature nearest the firebox was about 350°.

--
The Brick® said that (Work harder; millions on welfare depend on you. )

Apple-glazed Beef Brisket NEWS General Cooking 0 15-05-2005 01:21 AM
Old World Beef Brisket Unefer1 Recipes (moderated) 0 30-01-2004 05:32 AM
Pastrami = Smoked Corned Beef Brisket? Tank General Cooking 1 01-12-2003 04:54 AM
Brisket (not mine) - Repost? [email protected] Barbecue 0 06-11-2003 06:22 AM