Comcast

Default How much brisket per person?

I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be enough
for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

F.G. Whitfurrows

Comcast wrote:
> I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
> enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small
> appetites?

Not around my house. You better figger that brisket is gonna shrink quite a
bit and then you'll have to take the fat off (unless its already trimmed).
Fix hot dogs for the kids and make a big pot of beans. Serve lots of
appetizers. Serve heavy beer, none of that LITE crap! That all oughtta help
a bit.:-)

--
The Honorable Reverend
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows

--Weddings performed for a nominal fee.
--Beer accepted in lieu of cash payment.

TFM®

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> Comcast wrote:
> > I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
> > enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small
> > appetites?

> Not around my house. You better figger that brisket is gonna shrink quite

> bit and then you'll have to take the fat off (unless its already trimmed).
> Fix hot dogs for the kids and make a big pot of beans. Serve lots of
> appetizers. Serve heavy beer, none of that LITE crap! That all oughtta

help
> a bit.:-)

I concur. A 7 pounder would do good to last a night here with just me and
my lovely wife.

Figure you'll lose 50% of the weight just cooking it, then there's still fat
that if not eaten, gets tossed.

TFM®

Edwin Pawlowski

"Comcast" <.> wrote in message news
>I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
>enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

You'll end up with 4 1/2 to 5 pounds of cooked meat. Plenty for that sized
crowd. Figure 8 oz per male, 5 - 6 oz. per female.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Thomas Muffaletto

"Comcast" <.> wrote in message news
>I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
>enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

I do believe that cooks on direct heat? <--- really not sure about that
but I think I remember Alton Brown just dropping it on wood coals.
if its direct heat have some chicken or sausage that cooks indirect on the
sides?
just trying to help out.
Tom

cory

Thomas Muffaletto wrote:
> "Comcast" <.> wrote in message news >
>>I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
>>enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

> I do believe that cooks on direct heat? <--- really not sure about that
> but I think I remember Alton Brown just dropping it on wood coals.

What are you smoking? Not brisket, obviously.
The Naked Whiz

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:04:21 GMT, "Thomas Muffaletto"
> wrote:

>"Comcast" <.> wrote in message news
>>I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
>>enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

>I do believe that cooks on direct heat? <--- really not sure about that
>but I think I remember Alton Brown just dropping it on wood coals.
>if its direct heat have some chicken or sausage that cooks indirect on the
>sides?
>just trying to help out.
>Tom

Brisket doesn't cook directly on the coals. Brisket cooks low and
very slow. What you are referring to is his episode "Raising the
Steaks" where he did flank or skirt steak directly on the coals for 60
seconds per side.

TNW
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
http://www.lump-charcoal.com/
TT

Thanks for the comments.

I always hate to risk running out (and I wouldn't mind some leftover on the
brisket) so I picked up some split chicken breasts that I will cook on my
Weber kettle grill with indirect heat, lid on and some oak and hickory.
Chicken done this way is delicious.

"The Naked Whiz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:04:21 GMT, "Thomas Muffaletto"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Comcast" <.> wrote in message news
>>>I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
>>>enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small appetites?

>>I do believe that cooks on direct heat? <--- really not sure about that
>>but I think I remember Alton Brown just dropping it on wood coals.
>>if its direct heat have some chicken or sausage that cooks indirect on
>>the
>>sides?
>>just trying to help out.
>>Tom
>>

> Brisket doesn't cook directly on the coals. Brisket cooks low and
> very slow. What you are referring to is his episode "Raising the
> Steaks" where he did flank or skirt steak directly on the coals for 60
> seconds per side.
>
> TNW
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
> http://www.lump-charcoal.com/

Thomas Muffaletto

"TT" <.> wrote in message ...
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> I always hate to risk running out (and I wouldn't mind some leftover on
> the brisket) so I picked up some split chicken breasts that I will cook on
> my Weber kettle grill with indirect heat, lid on and some oak and hickory.
> Chicken done this way is delicious.

I would have to agrea with the person that said i was wrong about the
brisket
cooking on direct heat.
for desert I am makine smores - marshmellow and chocolate gram cracker
sandwich - wrapped in foil melted nicely on the grill.
Tom

Brick

On 2-Jul-2005, "TFM®" > wrote:

> "F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message
> >

> > Comcast wrote:
> > > I have a 7 lb brisket that I will be Q'ing. Do you think that will be
> > > enough for 6 adults (3M + 3F) plus a two small kids with small
> > > appetites?

> > Not around my house. You better figger that brisket is gonna shrink
> > quite

> > bit and then you'll have to take the fat off (unless its already
> > trimmed).
> > Fix hot dogs for the kids and make a big pot of beans. Serve lots of
> > appetizers. Serve heavy beer, none of that LITE crap! That all oughtta

> help
> > a bit.:-)

> I concur. A 7 pounder would do good to last a night here with just me and
> my lovely wife.
>
> Figure you'll lose 50% of the weight just cooking it, then there's still
> fat
> that if not eaten, gets tossed.
>

> TFM®

I netted 9# from a 13# packer cut the last time I cooked one. The tip
reached
201° internal in six hours. The flat further from the firebox took seven to
reach
195°. The grate temperature nearest the firebox was about 350°.

--
The Brick® said that (Work harder; millions on welfare depend on you. )