Do you leave the rub on?

Old 05-06-2004, 03:57 PM
jm
Usenet poster

Default Do you leave the rub on?

I know this is a stupid question, but after the rub has been sitting on the
meat overnight, or however long it is supposed to sit there, do you wash any
of the rub off before you cook it or do you take it straight from the rub
process to the grill? I was thinking it would make the meat so salty you
couldn't eat it, but hey, what do I know? (don't answer that last part, it
is obvious I know nothing.) Thanks.

---

Old 05-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Kevin S. Wilson
Usenet poster

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 14:57:24 GMT, "jm"
wrote:

I know this is a stupid question, but after the rub has been sitting on the
meat overnight, or however long it is supposed to sit there, do you wash any
of the rub off before you cook it or do you take it straight from the rub
process to the grill?

The latter.

I was thinking it would make the meat so salty you
couldn't eat it, but hey, what do I know? (don't answer that last part, it
is obvious I know nothing.) Thanks.

If you're concerned about over-saltiness, you probably have too much
salt in the rub to begin with. I've never had pork butt come out
over-salty (or over-anything) from the rub. Much of the rub is wicked
away by rendering fat, anyway.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Old 05-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Reg
Usenet poster

jm wrote:

I know this is a stupid question, but after the rub has been sitting on the
meat overnight, or however long it is supposed to sit there, do you wash any
of the rub off before you cook it or do you take it straight from the rub
process to the grill? I was thinking it would make the meat so salty you
couldn't eat it, but hey, what do I know? (don't answer that last part, it
is obvious I know nothing.) Thanks.

Don't take off any rub, leave it on. The surface of the meat will not
be salty after it cooks because the meat will give off juice during
cooking and take a good deal of salt with it.

Also, you should consider reducing the salt in your rub if that's what
you want. There no law that says you need to use a lot of salt.
One of the reasons for making your own rub is that commerical rubs
contain way too much salt.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Douglas Barber
Usenet poster

jm wrote:

I know this is a stupid question, but after the rub has been sitting on the
meat overnight, or however long it is supposed to sit there, do you wash any
of the rub off before you cook it or do you take it straight from the rub
process to the grill? I was thinking it would make the meat so salty you
couldn't eat it, but hey, what do I know? (don't answer that last part, it
is obvious I know nothing.) Thanks.

Leave it on. Some folks, for some meats, add an additional layer of rub
in the morning right before putting the meat in the pit.

Leave well enough alone Loire21 General Cooking 18 02-06-2004 12:26 PM
Is there any such thing as a thermometer you can put in meat and leave in while grilling? SA Dev Barbecue 33 29-05-2004 11:02 PM
newbie question M&M Barbecue 2 13-05-2004 07:23 PM
Did someone leave the door open again? zxcvbob General Cooking 23 19-04-2004 10:38 PM
Culinary herbFAQ part 3/7 Henriette Kress Preserving 0 31-12-2003 01:09 PM