Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Leave me alone in the kitchen

I confess. As much as I love my wife dearly, I wish she would stay out
of the kitchen when I am cooking. I cooked up some ox tails for supper
tonight. I started them yesterday, braised them for a while and then
let then cool overnight, skimmed off the fat and put them back in the
oven at 300 for a couple hours today.

I took out the tails to let them cool so I could strip off the meat and
reduce the juice. Megatron came into the kitchen while I was doing
that. I was distracted for a moment. Then I reached over and pulled the
top off the pot.... forgetting it had just come out of the oven. I now
have a set of burn blisters on my thumb and forefinger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 12, 2014 4:50:54 PM UTC-7, Kalmia wrote:

> On Sunday, October 12, 2014 7:12:16 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > On 2014-10-12 7:07 PM, wrote:

> > > On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:33:44 -0400, Dave Smith

> > > You'd have to explain to me how it is her fault you burned your
> > > fingers???

> > She distracted me.

I can see that happening at our house. I would yell at her, and
she would claim I always blame her for everything.

So?

But what my wife does do is in some ways worse. She will put away
items for that night's meal that I either took out or left out
when I came home from the store.

I'll turn around to get something, and "Where did I put that?"

> I somewhat get it. Some nights the TV or Bose is blasting, my better half is firing crossword puzzle questions at me while I try to read a recipe and cook. I cannot keep three balls in the air anymore.

I can no longer answer questions requiring thought while driving. And
tuning out my wife is bad tactics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>I confess. As much as I love my wife dearly, I wish she would stay out of
>the kitchen when I am cooking. I cooked up some ox tails for supper
>tonight. I started them yesterday, braised them for a while and then let
>then cool overnight, skimmed off the fat and put them back in the oven at
>300 for a couple hours today.
>
> I took out the tails to let them cool so I could strip off the meat and
> reduce the juice. Megatron came into the kitchen while I was doing that.
> I was distracted for a moment. Then I reached over and pulled the top off
> the pot.... forgetting it had just come out of the oven. I now have a set
> of burn blisters on my thumb and forefinger.

I've done that myself, but not lately. When I take something out of the oven
I put pot holders on it due to dh tends to do that. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2014 6:33 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I confess. As much as I love my wife dearly, I wish she would stay out
> of the kitchen when I am cooking. I cooked up some ox tails for supper
> tonight. I started them yesterday, braised them for a while and then
> let then cool overnight, skimmed off the fat and put them back in the
> oven at 300 for a couple hours today.
>
> I took out the tails to let them cool so I could strip off the meat and
> reduce the juice. Megatron came into the kitchen while I was doing
> that. I was distracted for a moment. Then I reached over and pulled the
> top off the pot.... forgetting it had just come out of the oven. I now
> have a set of burn blisters on my thumb and forefinger.

You call your wife Megatron?

I don't know about you but I'd have already had the pot holders right
there from just having taken the pot out of the oven. It's sort of
automatic to also grab one to take the lid off the hot pan. Don't blame
your wife. I don't care for people in the kitchen when I'm cooking,
either, but I don't blame them if I do something stupid.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 12, 2014 9:44:20 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:33:44 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>

> > I confess. As much as I love my wife dearly, I wish she would stay out

> > of the kitchen when I am cooking. I cooked up some ox tails for supper

> > tonight. I started them yesterday, braised them for a while and then

> > let then cool overnight, skimmed off the fat and put them back in the

> > oven at 300 for a couple hours today.

> > I took out the tails to let them cool so I could strip off the meat and

> > reduce the juice. Megatron came into the kitchen while I was doing

> > that. I was distracted for a moment. Then I reached over and pulled the

> > top off the pot.... forgetting it had just come out of the oven. I now

> > have a set of burn blisters on my thumb and forefinger.

> Dave demonstrates his assholishness yet again.

I totally agree, what a complete asshole. He can't handle someone talking to him while he's cooking? Sounds like a complete retard, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>I confess. As much as I love my wife dearly, I wish she would stay out of
>>the kitchen when I am cooking. I cooked up some ox tails for supper
>>tonight. I started them yesterday, braised them for a while and then let
>>then cool overnight, skimmed off the fat and put them back in the oven at
>>300 for a couple hours today.
>>
>> I took out the tails to let them cool so I could strip off the meat and
>> reduce the juice. Megatron came into the kitchen while I was doing that.
>> I was distracted for a moment. Then I reached over and pulled the top off
>> the pot.... forgetting it had just come out of the oven. I now have a set
>> of burn blisters on my thumb and forefinger.

> I've done that myself, but not lately. When I take something out of the
> oven I put pot holders on it due to dh tends to do that. :-)

Once as a teen, I was taking a pan out of the oven when the potholder
slipped. It all happened so very fast. I grabbed the pan, realizing too
late what had happened, and it sort of welded to my thumb and forefinger.
Had this weird, really long blister there for a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/12/2014 6:33 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I confess. As much as I love my wife dearly, I wish she would stay out
>> of the kitchen when I am cooking. I cooked up some ox tails for supper
>> tonight. I started them yesterday, braised them for a while and then
>> let then cool overnight, skimmed off the fat and put them back in the
>> oven at 300 for a couple hours today.
>>
>> I took out the tails to let them cool so I could strip off the meat and
>> reduce the juice. Megatron came into the kitchen while I was doing
>> that. I was distracted for a moment. Then I reached over and pulled the
>> top off the pot.... forgetting it had just come out of the oven. I now
>> have a set of burn blisters on my thumb and forefinger.

> You call your wife Megatron?
>
> I don't know about you but I'd have already had the pot holders right
> there from just having taken the pot out of the oven. It's sort of
> automatic to also grab one to take the lid off the hot pan. Don't blame
> your wife. I don't care for people in the kitchen when I'm cooking,
> either, but I don't blame them if I do something stupid.

What does Megatron even mean? I tried to look it up and only got something
about Transformers which I know very little about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2014 6:50 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I somewhat get it. Some nights the TV or Bose is blasting, my better half is firing crossword puzzle questions at me while I try to read a recipe and cook. I cannot keep three balls in the air anymore.

Becca and I both love to cook but we have completely different styles of
doing things and they aren't always compatible. I am a "clean up as you
go" person... she is more the "clean it all at once when you are done"
kind of person.

I realized early on that my constant cleaning behind her while we were
cooking together was making her nervous, so I find other ways to help
where I am not in her way. Example... if she is going to make a chicken
soup/stew/etc... I cut up the chicken and cook it and the stock
(0onions, carrots, celery, spices, etc). When done, I pull the meat off
the bones. Then she takes the stock and meat and applies her magic and
transforms it into whatever dish she is making.

If we are making sandwiches, she is on one end of the counter doing prep
on the lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers..... and I am on the other end
doing the assembly.

Usually after dinner... we both clean up. We don't have a dish washer
but with just the two of us, we really don't need one. Clean up seldom
takes more than 10 minutes when we work together.

It works for us.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 23:29:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 10/12/2014 6:33 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I confess. As much as I love my wife dearly, I wish she would stay out
>>> of the kitchen when I am cooking. I cooked up some ox tails for supper
>>> tonight. I started them yesterday, braised them for a while and then
>>> let then cool overnight, skimmed off the fat and put them back in the
>>> oven at 300 for a couple hours today.
>>>
>>> I took out the tails to let them cool so I could strip off the meat and
>>> reduce the juice. Megatron came into the kitchen while I was doing
>>> that. I was distracted for a moment. Then I reached over and pulled the
>>> top off the pot.... forgetting it had just come out of the oven. I now
>>> have a set of burn blisters on my thumb and forefinger.

>> You call your wife Megatron?
>>
>> I don't know about you but I'd have already had the pot holders right
>> there from just having taken the pot out of the oven. It's sort of
>> automatic to also grab one to take the lid off the hot pan. Don't blame
>> your wife. I don't care for people in the kitchen when I'm cooking,
>> either, but I don't blame them if I do something stupid.

>What does Megatron even mean? I tried to look it up and only got something
>about Transformers which I know very little about.

Break it down into its parts....

Mega: synonyms...
colossal, elephantine, enormous, galactic, gargantuan, giant,
gigantesque, gigantic, humongous, immense, jumbo, king-size,
leviathan, mammoth, massive, huge, monstrous, monumental, mountainous,
supersized, titanic, tremendous

Tron: a public weighing machine, as for trucks
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tron

Somehow I get the feeling this was not the first time Dave has refered
to his wife as Megatron.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 21:44:20 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:33:44 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I confess. As much as I love my wife dearly, I wish she would stay out
>>> of the kitchen when I am cooking. I cooked up some ox tails for supper
>>> tonight. I started them yesterday, braised them for a while and then
>>> let then cool overnight, skimmed off the fat and put them back in the
>>> oven at 300 for a couple hours today.
>>>
>>> I took out the tails to let them cool so I could strip off the meat and
>>> reduce the juice. Megatron came into the kitchen while I was doing
>>> that. I was distracted for a moment. Then I reached over and pulled the
>>> top off the pot.... forgetting it had just come out of the oven. I now
>>> have a set of burn blisters on my thumb and forefinger.

>>Dave demonstrates his assholishness yet again.
>>
>>-sw

> Can't you recognise dry wit when you see it ?

Apparently not, I was pretty suprised at some of the responses to his post,
though I don't know why I should be.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:59:20 -0600, graham > wrote:

> >If a man is walking alone in the middle of a forest, is he still wrong?

Yes, because he told his wife he was going to the dentist then he
forgot to pick the kids up from school.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 13, 2014 3:35:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:18:52 -0700 (PDT),
> wrote:

> >I can no longer answer questions requiring thought while driving. And
> >tuning out my wife is bad tactics.

> It's amazing how many wives get blamed for so much !

You can hardly expect a man to blame himself when his wife is RIGHT THERE.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> She distracted me.
>>>

>> Not good enough, your fault, not hers!
>>

> I think Dave knows that, but a distraction is still a distraction and
> stuff happens. Unless you are perfect, it happens to all of us at
> times. When I'm using power tools in my wood shop my family knows
> enough to approach with care.

Exactly. I had taken the hot pot out of the oven and set it on the stove
top. I removed the lit and put it on the counter. She came in asking
questions about something that led to me thinking about that. I had had
the good sense to put the hot pad on the pot handle to remind me that it
was hot, but when I turned around and grabbed the top to moved it.....
ssssssss.

She and I have different styles of cooking. She does most of the
roasting, casseroles and braising dishes while I do the stir frying and
other things that require some prep and then last minute cooking. Her
slower style of cooking is less time critical.... though this was not
one of those things.

I prefer to work in their on my own, just as she prefers not to be
disturbed when she is cooking. Her mother used to have a sign her
kitchen telling people to stay out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-13, graham > wrote:

> If a man is walking alone in the middle of a forest, is he still wrong?

Apparently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-13, graham > wrote:

> Christ! Misandry is alive and kicking on this group!

He finally gets it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/10/2014 12:20 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-10-13, graham > wrote:
>
>> Christ! Misandry is alive and kicking on this group!

> He finally gets it.

I got it a long time ago regarding some posters. I restrained myself.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 21:44:20 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Dave demonstrates his assholishness yet again.
>
> -sw

> I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
> the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
> I'll give it to you.

> You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
> You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.
>
> You lose again.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:35:49 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> I suppose you think that was 'wit', too?

> I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
> the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
> I'll give it to you.

> You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
> You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.
>
> You lose again.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 13, 2014 9:38:10 AM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 23:29:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:

> >> You call your wife Megatron?

> >> I don't know about you but I'd have already had the pot holders right

> >> there from just having taken the pot out of the oven. It's sort of

> >> automatic to also grab one to take the lid off the hot pan. Don't blame

> >> your wife. I don't care for people in the kitchen when I'm cooking,

> >> either, but I don't blame them if I do something stupid.

> >What does Megatron even mean? I tried to look it up and only got something

> >about Transformers which I know very little about.

> Break it down into its parts....
>

> Mega: synonyms...
>
> colossal, elephantine, enormous, galactic, gargantuan, giant,
>
> gigantesque, gigantic, humongous, immense, jumbo, king-size,
>
> leviathan, mammoth, massive, huge, monstrous, monumental, mountainous,
>
> supersized, titanic, tremendous
>

> Tron: a public weighing machine, as for trucks
>
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tron
>

> Somehow I get the feeling this was not the first time Dave has refered
>
> to his wife as Megatron.

I'm not sure I'd consider it a compliment. Maybe they are at the point in the marriage where every peccadillo becomes harder to tolerate. I suggest a separate vacation for each of them.

I wonder what she'd call HIM if she were lodging a beef about his ways.

I burned myself by placing a metal lid on an off but still-hot burner, then picked it up - YEEOWWW. But had no one to blame but the self.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-13 21:09, Kalmia wrote:

>> Somehow I get the feeling this was not the first time Dave has
>> refered
>>
>> to his wife as Megatron.

> I'm not sure I'd consider it a compliment. Maybe they are at the
> point in the marriage where every peccadillo becomes harder to
> tolerate. I suggest a separate vacation for each of them.

It is a nickname that our son came up with for her when he was about 10,
and that a number of us have been using for years... long before the
Transformer character.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 21:21:50 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> It is a nickname that our son came up with for her when he was about 10,
> and that a number of us have been using for years... long before the
> Transformer character.

The Megatron character/toy has been around for 30 years. I somehow
doubt your kid just thought it up 40+ years ago.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 23:29:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> You call your wife Megatron?
>>>
>>> I don't know about you but I'd have already had the pot holders right
>>> there from just having taken the pot out of the oven. It's sort of
>>> automatic to also grab one to take the lid off the hot pan. Don't blame
>>> your wife. I don't care for people in the kitchen when I'm cooking,
>>> either, but I don't blame them if I do something stupid.

>>What does Megatron even mean? I tried to look it up and only got
>>something
>>about Transformers which I know very little about.

> Break it down into its parts....
>
> Mega: synonyms...
> colossal, elephantine, enormous, galactic, gargantuan, giant,
> gigantesque, gigantic, humongous, immense, jumbo, king-size,
> leviathan, mammoth, massive, huge, monstrous, monumental, mountainous,
> supersized, titanic, tremendous
>
> Tron: a public weighing machine, as for trucks
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tron
>
> Somehow I get the feeling this was not the first time Dave has refered
> to his wife as Megatron.

Oh that's not good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy Dufrense" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 21:21:50 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> It is a nickname that our son came up with for her when he was about 10,
>> and that a number of us have been using for years... long before the
>> Transformer character.

> The Megatron character/toy has been around for 30 years. I somehow
> doubt your kid just thought it up 40+ years ago.
>
> -sw

Not sure it has been that long. I think they came out in the early 80's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> On 10/12/2014 6:50 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> I somewhat get it. Some nights the TV or Bose is blasting, my better
>> half is firing crossword puzzle questions at me while I try to read a
>> recipe and cook. I cannot keep three balls in the air anymore.

> Becca and I both love to cook but we have completely different styles of
> doing things and they aren't always compatible. I am a "clean up as you
> go" person... she is more the "clean it all at once when you are done"
> kind of person.
>
> I realized early on that my constant cleaning behind her while we were
> cooking together was making her nervous, so I find other ways to help
> where I am not in her way. Example... if she is going to make a chicken
> soup/stew/etc... I cut up the chicken and cook it and the stock (0onions,
> carrots, celery, spices, etc). When done, I pull the meat off the bones.
> Then she takes the stock and meat and applies her magic and transforms it
> into whatever dish she is making.
>
> If we are making sandwiches, she is on one end of the counter doing prep
> on the lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers..... and I am on the other end
> doing the assembly.
>
> Usually after dinner... we both clean up. We don't have a dish washer but
> with just the two of us, we really don't need one. Clean up seldom takes
> more than 10 minutes when we work together.
>
> It works for us.
>
> George

I guess I do mixed things. For instance, if I were peeling things and
dropped one peeling on the floor, I wouldn't stop to pick it up. I would
wait until I was done. But if I was using a bowl, I might take the time to
wash it out so I could use it again and not dirty another bowl.

The problem with my kitchen is that it is too small for two people unless
they want to stay stuck in one place. Problems always arise when one of us
needs to get past the other for some reason.

And I only work well with another person if they do one of three things.
Either they just do their thing and keep me out of it, or they work along
with me. If the latter then they would need to do what I say. They can do
it their own way but they need to do what I need done and not keep wandering
off to do other things. Or I could do what they say in which case they
need to let me do it the way I know how. One example would be when my
parents wanted me to slice an onion. They insisted that I had to use this
onion holder that they had just bought. I refused to use the device because
I had bought one prior and it didn't work. They wound up getting so angry
with me that they kicked me out of the kitchen.

From the other room, I could hear my dad cursing. He tried to use the onion
holder and when he squeezed the sides in as per the instructions to hold the
onion steady, it shot across the room. Heh. So... I was then called back
to the kitchen and told that I could slice it any way I knew how.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/14/2014 12:13 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Andy Dufrense" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 21:21:50 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> It is a nickname that our son came up with for her when he was about 10,
>>> and that a number of us have been using for years... long before the
>>> Transformer character.

>> The Megatron character/toy has been around for 30 years. I somehow
>> doubt your kid just thought it up 40+ years ago.
>>
>> -sw

> Not sure it has been that long. I think they came out in the early 80's.

The Hasbro franchise started in 1984 with Takara Tomy toys of Japan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
news
> I didn't see that post. Megatron ? It could well be said
> affectionately you know.

Absolutely, like calling someone Robocops, Jaegers, etc.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 10/14/2014 12:13 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> The Megatron character/toy has been around for 30 years. I somehow
>>> doubt your kid just thought it up 40+ years ago.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Not sure it has been that long. I think they came out in the early 80's.

> The Hasbro franchise started in 1984 with Takara Tomy toys of Japan

Thanks! I just remember being the hero to a lot of my mom's coworkers. I
was working at K Mart and that was the time frame when not only Transformers
but Cabbage Patch Kids came out and both sold out immediately. I had a list
of specifics of what different people wanted and if I saw those items come
in, I would call them right away and hold the items for them until later in
the day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> news >
>> I didn't see that post. Megatron ? It could well be said
>> affectionately you know.

> Absolutely, like calling someone Robocops, Jaegers, etc.
>
> Cheri

Not sure what those things mean either.

curry leave [email protected] General Cooking 2 29-10-2006 04:47 PM
Can't Leave 'em Alone Bars T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 08-04-2005 01:46 PM
Do you leave the rub on? jm Barbecue 3 05-06-2004 06:16 PM
Leave well enough alone Loire21 General Cooking 18 02-06-2004 12:26 PM