jerky - best cut of beef to use

Old 05-05-2009, 05:45 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default jerky - best cut of beef to use

I made jerky for the first time a few days ago. I used sirloin tip
and was generally happy with the results, but it was a bit too dry and
tough. Are there any other cuts of meat that would produce a more
moist and tender jerky?

Also, the meat was cut with the grain on my slicer at a 1/4 inch
thick. Rather than cutting it into smaller strips, I left it in larger
sheets, probably a good six inches across. Is it better to cut it
into more narrow strips?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:29 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote in message
I made jerky for the first time a few days ago. I used sirloin tip
and was generally happy with the results, but it was a bit too dry and
tough. Are there any other cuts of meat that would produce a more
moist and tender jerky?

Also, the meat was cut with the grain on my slicer at a 1/4 inch
thick. Rather than cutting it into smaller strips, I left it in larger
sheets, probably a good six inches across. Is it better to cut it
into more narrow strips?

London Broil is round steak and This Xmas I made 30 Lbs - starting weight.
partially freeze first to ease the slicing.

Good price too IIRC $1.78 / LB in family Pack.

Jerky and Grinding is about all LB is good for.

Dimitri

Old 05-05-2009, 06:06 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dimitri" wrote in message

wrote in message
I made jerky for the first time a few days ago. I used sirloin tip
and was generally happy with the results, but it was a bit too dry and
tough. Are there any other cuts of meat that would produce a more
moist and tender jerky?

Also, the meat was cut with the grain on my slicer at a 1/4 inch
thick. Rather than cutting it into smaller strips, I left it in larger
sheets, probably a good six inches across. Is it better to cut it
into more narrow strips?

London Broil is round steak and This Xmas I made 30 Lbs - starting weight.
partially freeze first to ease the slicing.

Good price too IIRC $1.78 / LB in family Pack.

Jerky and Grinding is about all LB is good for.

Dimitri

I think I've found new life for the "round" I took a piece of round beef,
trimmed off
the connective tissue, Kosher salted it and wrapped it in cling overnight.
I seared all sides with very high heat, let it rest to cool down, and
roasted
at 225F only to temp of 115F, about 1.5 hours. Then you turn oven off and
leave the meat
in the warm oven until the temp. rises to 130F. Rest 15 minutes. Slice very
thin.. The meat was rare pink from edge to edge, and the taste
was great. This sure could be tried with a thick London broil. You'd want to
do your
slicing across the grain.

Ed

Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

London Broil is round steak and This Xmas I made 30 Lbs - starting weight.
partially freeze first to ease the slicing.

Sounds good, thanks. Do you think chuck would work well also?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote in message
London Broil is round steak and This Xmas I made 30 Lbs - starting
weight.
partially freeze first to ease the slicing.

Sounds good, thanks. Do you think chuck would work well also?

Too much fat. Will go ransid.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote in message
London Broil is round steak and This Xmas I made 30 Lbs - starting
weight.
partially freeze first to ease the slicing.

Sounds good, thanks. Do you think chuck would work well also?

IMHO Chuck has to much fat and smoked fat is not a good mouth feel/taste.

Dimitri

Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dimitri wrote:

wrote in message

London Broil is round steak and This Xmas I made 30 Lbs - starting
weight.
partially freeze first to ease the slicing.

Sounds good, thanks. Do you think chuck would work well also?

IMHO Chuck has to much fat and smoked fat is not a good mouth feel/taste.

Dimitri

Seems to me that if you smoke chuck for a long time, that most of the fat
renders and runs off as liquid grease. The rest imparts flavor. Of course,
I've never made jerky yet. But I've done a few chuck rolls and they come
out moist and delicious. The leftover smoked beef is awesome in burritos or
in chili or beef curry.

Grant
Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Dimitri wrote:

wrote in message

London Broil is round steak and This Xmas I made 30 Lbs - starting
weight.
partially freeze first to ease the slicing.

Sounds good, thanks. Do you think chuck would work well also?

IMHO Chuck has to much fat and smoked fat is not a good mouth feel/taste.

Dimitri

Seems to me that if you smoke chuck for a long time, that most of the fat
renders and runs off as liquid grease. The rest imparts flavor. Of course,
I've never made jerky yet. But I've done a few chuck rolls and they come
out moist and delicious. The leftover smoked beef is awesome in burritos
or
in chili or beef curry.

Grant

It really depends on the temperature, it you're making Jerky the object is
to DRY the beef not smoke it per se I make jerky at 125 degrees and than is
not hot enough to render the fat. It also is not how enough to COOK the
beef.

Dimitri

Old 06-05-2009, 12:04 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dimitri" wrote in message

wrote in message
I made jerky for the first time a few days ago. I used sirloin tip
and was generally happy with the results, but it was a bit too dry and
tough. Are there any other cuts of meat that would produce a more
moist and tender jerky?

Also, the meat was cut with the grain on my slicer at a 1/4 inch
thick. Rather than cutting it into smaller strips, I left it in larger
sheets, probably a good six inches across. Is it better to cut it
into more narrow strips?

London Broil is round steak

London broil is a dish, not a cut. The best meat for jerky IMO is flank
steak, which also makes great london broil.

-John O

Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"John O" wrote in message

"Dimitri" wrote in message

wrote in message
I made jerky for the first time a few days ago. I used sirloin tip
and was generally happy with the results, but it was a bit too dry and
tough. Are there any other cuts of meat that would produce a more
moist and tender jerky?

Also, the meat was cut with the grain on my slicer at a 1/4 inch
thick. Rather than cutting it into smaller strips, I left it in larger
sheets, probably a good six inches across. Is it better to cut it
into more narrow strips?

London Broil is round steak

London broil is a dish, not a cut.

Actually Safeway, Vons, Pavillions, Kroger, Ralphs, Food 4 Less, Albertsons
and most other supermarkets sell ROUND as London Broil.

Please feel free to look at the weekly ads on laine starting tomorrow
morning for Zip 91350.

If you're not sure how to do that I'll send the URL starting in the morning.

Dimitri

Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

This site explains London broil quite well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_broil

Bob-tx

Old 17-06-2009, 08:46 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote in message
I made jerky for the first time a few days ago. I used sirloin tip
and was generally happy with the results, but it was a bit too dry and
tough. Are there any other cuts of meat that would produce a more
moist and tender jerky?

Also, the meat was cut with the grain on my slicer at a 1/4 inch
thick. Rather than cutting it into smaller strips, I left it in larger
sheets, probably a good six inches across. Is it better to cut it
into more narrow strips?

Flank is usually a sure-fire winner to jerk with. I've had good results with
Brisket, Skirt and Top Round as well. I don't like to use anything with high
fat content like chuck. And Loin cuts are too $$ and don't do as well.

Flank steaks are usually about 1 inch thick (6 inches wide and a foot long)
and so I slice no more than 1/4", across the grain.

Are you using a marinade?

Not an endorsement of this company or its products, but they discuss flank
steak he
http://www.leeners.com/meats-jerky-recipes.html

:O:
wd

Old 18-06-2009, 12:32 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"MoonsOfJupiter" wrote in message
t...
wrote in message
[...]

any tips on using brisket for jerky?

Old 18-06-2009, 01:03 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

I always heard guys say they liked eye of round for jerky ..