Posted to alt.food.barbecue
MoonsOfJupiter MoonsOfJupiter is offline

Default jerky - best cut of beef to use

> wrote in message
>I made jerky for the first time a few days ago. I used sirloin tip
> and was generally happy with the results, but it was a bit too dry and
> tough. Are there any other cuts of meat that would produce a more
> moist and tender jerky?
>
> Also, the meat was cut with the grain on my slicer at a 1/4 inch
> thick. Rather than cutting it into smaller strips, I left it in larger
> sheets, probably a good six inches across. Is it better to cut it
> into more narrow strips?

Flank is usually a sure-fire winner to jerk with. I've had good results with
Brisket, Skirt and Top Round as well. I don't like to use anything with high
fat content like chuck. And Loin cuts are too $$ and don't do as well.

Flank steaks are usually about 1 inch thick (6 inches wide and a foot long)
and so I slice no more than 1/4", across the grain.

Are you using a marinade?

Not an endorsement of this company or its products, but they discuss flank
steak he
http://www.leeners.com/meats-jerky-recipes.html

:O:
wd