Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Vine growers; experience with Kaligreen?

anyone have experience with Kaligreen? Some questions;

* How efective is it (one spraying versus multiple sprayings)
* Given the issue of it's effectiveness only at high pH, anyone had any
experience mixing it with their preventative (sulfur or other) sprays?

Also - given that Kaligreen is potassium bicarbonate, are there cheaper
sources of the same material (quantity baking goods maybe?)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Ric,

I have no experience with baking soda but from what I read it doesn't
seem to be very effective. Use one plant and experiment. Spray that one
plant with Kaligreen and see what you get. I personally would recommend
Oxiclean. It's cheap and it's an eradicant along with being a somewhat
short lived protectant. The residue of soda ash is also a high pH (
11) and is the reason for its short lived protectant. Bordeaux Mixture
is the same pH (11) and it's pH is a reason for it's effectiveness. All
you can do is experiment. Let us know what you find.

Bob

Ric wrote:
> anyone have experience with Kaligreen? Some questions;
>
> * How efective is it (one spraying versus multiple sprayings)
> * Given the issue of it's effectiveness only at high pH, anyone had any
> experience mixing it with their preventative (sulfur or other) sprays?
>
> Also - given that Kaligreen is potassium bicarbonate, are there cheaper
> sources of the same material (quantity baking goods maybe?)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Curious as to what it is that you've read that suggests it is not very
effective. any links perchance? The few anecdotes I've had are either second
hand (growers saying "so-and-so used it and it worled well") or retailers
touting it.

> I have no experience with baking soda but from what I read it doesn't
> seem to be very effective. Use one plant and experiment. Spray that one
> plant with Kaligreen and see what you get. I personally would recommend
> Oxiclean. It's cheap and it's an eradicant along with being a somewhat
> short lived protectant. The residue of soda ash is also a high pH (
> 11) and is the reason for its short lived protectant. Bordeaux Mixture
> is the same pH (11) and it's pH is a reason for it's effectiveness. All
> you can do is experiment. Let us know what you find.
>
> Bob
>

> Ric wrote:
>> anyone have experience with Kaligreen? Some questions;
>>
>> * How efective is it (one spraying versus multiple sprayings)
>> * Given the issue of it's effectiveness only at high pH, anyone had any
>> experience mixing it with their preventative (sulfur or other) sprays?
>>
>> Also - given that Kaligreen is potassium bicarbonate, are there cheaper
>> sources of the same material (quantity baking goods maybe?)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I don't have any links off-hand. That's what I remember about the
stuff. I think it's only good for powdery mildew. I would have tried it
if I had read differently.

Bob