Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Vineyard outllook for this season

Would like to know what other growers / winemakers are anticipating from
their harvest this year.

I am a grower / winemaker in the Sierra Foothills. we had a very late
spring - budbreak (compared to last few years), but fruit set was close to
'normal'; our Marsanne is heavy with fruit - even had to thin some. The
Syrah is lighter, but well set. anticipating an above average harvest of
marsanne, 'normal' to slightly lower than normal Syrah. Vines are vigorous
and healthy, no signs of fungus. No reason to think quality is anything but
good - knock on wood.

Aside from those two own grown grapes, am purchasing 500 lbs of Cab Franc
from another grower.

What are others planning - and anticipating from their vineyards (your own,
or from where you purchase)? Any concerns after the late bud break?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Outlook in general, not too good for us here in CA

Interesting article on global warming. Doesn't bode well, long term
for us here in Napa and Sonoma. We've had some really hot weather here
and I've heard the fruit is larger than it should be at this time.
Veraison seems to be excellerated so the fruit might be tepid this year
in terms of flavor intensity. Other places in the country will become
better with the heat.. like the Pacific NW. Not sure how to do a link,
but the article is here..

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NG03JT3EV1.DTL

Regards,

Rick

PS: I've been lurking here for a while. I'm a Noob.. and all my
questions have been answered with a quick search of the NG. Thanks to
all the posters that have helped me.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I am not convinced global
warming is anything we can influence, as I see conflicting studies. But
it was relevant if it effects the grapes growing. smile.

DAve

EnoNut wrote:
> Interesting article on global warming. Doesn't bode well, long term
> for us here in Napa and Sonoma. We've had some really hot weather here
> and I've heard the fruit is larger than it should be at this time.
> Veraison seems to be excellerated so the fruit might be tepid this year
> in terms of flavor intensity. Other places in the country will become
> better with the heat.. like the Pacific NW. Not sure how to do a link,
> but the article is here..
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NG03JT3EV1.DTL
>
> Regards,
>
> Rick
>
> PS: I've been lurking here for a while. I'm a Noob.. and all my
> questions have been answered with a quick search of the NG. Thanks to
> all the posters that have helped me.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"EnoNut" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Interesting article on global warming. Doesn't bode well, long term
> for us here in Napa and Sonoma. We've had some really hot weather here
> and I've heard the fruit is larger than it should be at this time.

I've been saying for several years that buying potential vineyard property
in the Alaska panhandle is not a bad idea...

Tom S

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Tom S wrote:
> "EnoNut" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>Interesting article on global warming. Doesn't bode well, long term
>>for us here in Napa and Sonoma. We've had some really hot weather here
>>and I've heard the fruit is larger than it should be at this time.

> I've been saying for several years that buying potential vineyard property
> in the Alaska panhandle is not a bad idea...
>
> Tom S

oh, you're buying for your children's children?? lolol

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

gene wrote:
> Tom S wrote:
>> "EnoNut" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>
>>> Interesting article on global warming. Doesn't bode well, long term
>>> for us here in Napa and Sonoma. We've had some really hot weather here
>>> and I've heard the fruit is larger than it should be at this time.

>> I've been saying for several years that buying potential vineyard
>> property in the Alaska panhandle is not a bad idea...
>>
>> Tom S
>>

> oh, you're buying for your children's children?? lolol

smile. ha. From what I read in science reports, IF global warming is
happening, it could be 400 years plus before we plant vines in Alaska.
But then, it would be a good investment. :*)

http://www.livescience.com/ for global warming info. The verdict is
still unsure.
or
http://product.half.ebay.com/State-o...94493QQtgZinfo
Crichton's State of Fear has a lot of interesting facts.

Now, please don't get me wrong, I'm just pipping in, not dis'ing ya.

--

DAve