Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Carboy lifter

I use to be 6'2" and 290. After my first back surgery, I became
6' and 290. So maybe after my surgery this coming Friday, I might
be 5'10" to 5'11" and 290. And then there's my right shoulder.
I'm learning to pour and drink with my left hand.

So I bought a Carboy Lifter featured on Jack Keller's WineBlog
<http://www.homebrewadventures.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml>
Page down to March 17th, 2005. It's made by Martin Benke at
. His phone numbers are on the blog.

Jack Keller rarely promotes products and I personally thank him
for making an exception and promoting this one. The Carboy Lifter
is absolutely terrific. Martin's price has gone up from a year ago.
I paid him $225 including UPS freight and it was worth it.

My child bride is 5'2" and 105 lbs. This is going to make it
much easier for her to move carboys around for me.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Don't take this wrong, but I hope Martin has product liability
insurance. It looks decent but if something ever lets loose and
someone gets hurt lawyers inevitably get involved. Murphy always has
his day, it's just a fact of life.

That is a very good price for the amount of effort it would take to
make it, that's all I am saying. You can get a 900 # ratchet mechanism
from Grainger for under $30 so I have little doubt it's safe for
lifting carboys. The other material is pretty inexpensive but has to
be assembled, it's sounds like he is selling this close to cost.

I have 2 bad disks so have considered making one myself, that's why I
was surprised at the the price.

Joe

> So I bought a Carboy Lifter featured on Jack Keller's WineBlog
> <http://www.homebrewadventures.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml>
> Page down to March 17th, 2005. It's made by Martin Benke at
> . His phone numbers are on the blog.

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

On 5 Mar 2006 04:28:42 -0800, "Joe Sallustio" >
wrote:

If anyone should buy this, just remember to keep the carboy platform
just off the floor when pushing it around. It doesn't look like it'll
take much to flip it when the carboy is raised.

Phil

>Don't take this wrong, but I hope Martin has product liability
>insurance. It looks decent but if something ever lets loose and
>someone gets hurt lawyers inevitably get involved. Murphy always has
>his day, it's just a fact of life.
>
>That is a very good price for the amount of effort it would take to
>make it, that's all I am saying. You can get a 900 # ratchet mechanism
>from Grainger for under $30 so I have little doubt it's safe for
>lifting carboys. The other material is pretty inexpensive but has to
>be assembled, it's sounds like he is selling this close to cost.
>
>I have 2 bad disks so have considered making one myself, that's why I
>was surprised at the the price.
>
>Joe
>

>> So I bought a Carboy Lifter featured on Jack Keller's WineBlog
>> <http://www.homebrewadventures.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml>
>> Page down to March 17th, 2005. It's made by Martin Benke at
>> . His phone numbers are on the blog.

======
visit the New York City Homebrewers Guild website:
http://www.hbd.org/nychg
Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Keep this link and info handy somewhere.

After several moons, one of us will decide we want one and won't remember
where we saw it, andy you'll have it for us, and therefore be Da Man.

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
> I use to be 6'2" and 290. After my first back surgery, I became
> 6' and 290. So maybe after my surgery this coming Friday, I might
> be 5'10" to 5'11" and 290. And then there's my right shoulder.
> I'm learning to pour and drink with my left hand.
>
> So I bought a Carboy Lifter featured on Jack Keller's WineBlog
> <http://www.homebrewadventures.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml>
> Page down to March 17th, 2005. It's made by Martin Benke at
> . His phone numbers are on the blog.
>
> Jack Keller rarely promotes products and I personally thank him
> for making an exception and promoting this one. The Carboy Lifter
> is absolutely terrific. Martin's price has gone up from a year ago.
> I paid him $225 including UPS freight and it was worth it.
>
> My child bride is 5'2" and 105 lbs. This is going to make it
> much easier for her to move carboys around for me.
>
> Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks Dick. I have been intrigued by that thing since I first saw it. You
are the first person besides Jack that has actually used one. I am not
surprised that the price has gone up. I could not see how he could sell it
for what he was originally quoting.

In reading Jack's review it sounded like it might not lift as High as might
be needed. Do you have any problems along those lines?

Ray

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
>I use to be 6'2" and 290. After my first back surgery, I became
> 6' and 290. So maybe after my surgery this coming Friday, I might
> be 5'10" to 5'11" and 290. And then there's my right shoulder.
> I'm learning to pour and drink with my left hand.
>
> So I bought a Carboy Lifter featured on Jack Keller's WineBlog
> <http://www.homebrewadventures.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml>
> Page down to March 17th, 2005. It's made by Martin Benke at
> . His phone numbers are on the blog.
>
> Jack Keller rarely promotes products and I personally thank him
> for making an exception and promoting this one. The Carboy Lifter
> is absolutely terrific. Martin's price has gone up from a year ago.
> I paid him $225 including UPS freight and it was worth it.
>
> My child bride is 5'2" and 105 lbs. This is going to make it
> much easier for her to move carboys around for me.
>
> Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Up here in Canada, Canadian Tire has a 'hoist' gizmo for lifting
motorcycles that would probably work for carboys too.

Frances

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Dave and Fran > wrote:

> Up here in Canada, Canadian Tire has a 'hoist' gizmo for lifting
> motorcycles that would probably work for carboys too.

I have heard that Canadian Tire sells neither Canadians nor Canadian
tires, LoL

My suspicision iis that the Canadian Tire hoist is great for people
outting carboys is chest freezers. Martin Benke's lifter is not
intended for a great deal of lateral movement. The idea is to raise
A caboy or a pail to a table top, move the pallet on which the
carboy sits onto the table, and remove the life.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Ray Calvert > wrote:
> "Dick Adams" > wrote:

>> I use to be 6'2" and 290. After my first back surgery, I became
>> 6' and 290. So maybe after my surgery this coming Friday, I might
>> be 5'10" to 5'11" and 290. And then there's my right shoulder.
>> I'm learning to pour and drink with my left hand.
>>
>> So I bought a Carboy Lifter featured on Jack Keller's WineBlog
>> <http://www.homebrewadventures.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml>
>> Page down to March 17th, 2005. It's made by Martin Benke at
>> . His phone numbers are on the blog.
>>
>> Jack Keller rarely promotes products and I personally thank him
>> for making an exception and promoting this one. The Carboy Lifter
>> is absolutely terrific. Martin's price has gone up from a year ago.
>> I paid him $225 including UPS freight and it was worth it.
>>
>> My child bride is 5'2" and 105 lbs. This is going to make it
>> much easier for her to move carboys around for me.

> Thanks Dick. I have been intrigued by that thing since I first
> saw it. You are the first person besides Jack that has actually
> used one.

As much as I crave being associated with Jack Keller, I believe the
actual users are his child bride and my child bride. Whatt more can
a man asked for than a woman gullible enough to live with him and
help him make alcohol. <Rotflmao>

> I am not surprised that the price has gone up. I could not see
> how he could sell it for what he was originally quoting.

We are in agreement, Ray. Jack paid $150 and provided his own
freight. I paid $225 including UPS - given the bulk size and
the weight, I'd speculate I'd paid $180 to $190. Once Martin
starts making 5 a week, the price will have to level off to
$200 to $225 plus freight.

> In reading Jack's review it sounded like it might not lift
> as High as might be needed. Do you have any problems along
> those lines?

Before I called Martin to order it, I measured the height of the
horizontal surfaces I might be using. 30 inchs was the common
answer. Jack Keller wrote 36 inchs and I found that to be correct.

If you have one of these carboy lifters, you have to make a real
effort to break a carboy.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Damn! Another one beat me to it! I also have been tinkering with an
idea to assist my friend that has a degenerative muscle disorder and
finds it near impossible to lift or move carboys without the help of
someone else. I've got a version of a caboy lifter on the drawing board
as well. Hopfully it'll be ready soon too.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

> wrote:
> Damn! Another one beat me to it! I also have been tinkering with an
> idea to assist my friend that has a degenerative muscle disorder and
> finds it near impossible to lift or move carboys without the help of
> someone else. I've got a version of a caboy lifter on the drawing board
> as well. Hopfully it'll be ready soon too.

Take a look at Martin Benke's Lifter in the March 25, 2005 entry on Jack
Keller's blog at http://www.homebrewadventures.com/wi...wineblog.shtml
See if it meets your friend needs! Unless he needs a wench to load and
unload a chest freezer, it probably will meet her/his needs.

Never lose sight of the fact that the most efficient Carboy Lifters are
spouses, children, and friends. <smile>

Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

> Never lose sight of the fact that the most efficient Carboy Lifters are
> spouses, children, and friends. <smile>
>
> Dick

They are the most unreliable of all my tools. They always seem to be
misplaced when I most need them! ;o)

Ray

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Ray Calvert > wrote:
> Dick Adams > wrote:

>> Never lose sight of the fact that the most efficient Carboy
>> Lifters are spouses, children, and friends. <smile>

> They are the most unreliable of all my tools. They always
> seem to be misplaced when I most need them! ;o)

The entire problem with spouses is some guys allow them to come
and go as they please. A woman not required to give you her car
keys as soon as she comes home is an untrained woman.

Dick

P.S.: Please do not repeat the above to my child bride.
Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

My My. We all talk so brave when it's just among ourselves. :*)

Me? My wife said she'd lift any carboy for me anytime.... anytime I keep
the toilet seat down for 2 days straight. :*) hahaha.

DAve
p.s. As I get older, I see how a carboy lifter or vacuum system makes
sense. Just have to have fun until then.

Dick Adams wrote:
> Ray Calvert > wrote:
>> Dick Adams > wrote:

>>> Never lose sight of the fact that the most efficient Carboy
>>> Lifters are spouses, children, and friends. <smile>

>> They are the most unreliable of all my tools. They always
>> seem to be misplaced when I most need them! ;o)

> The entire problem with spouses is some guys allow them to come
> and go as they please. A woman not required to give you her car
> keys as soon as she comes home is an untrained woman.
>
> Dick
>
> P.S.: Please do not repeat the above to my child bride.

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >,
DAve Allison > wrote:
>My My. We all talk so brave when it's just among ourselves. :*)

Hi. I'm a woman. I brew. I read this group. And I am ignoring the
troll.

--
I see green again, with growing things ^ /o\ \ / /|\
The earth arise from out of the sea; |/\v/--- / \ /__ / | \

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Dick Adams wrote:
> Droopy > wrote:
> > wrote:

> >> Damn! Another one beat me to it! I also have been tinkering with an
> >> idea to assist my friend that has a degenerative muscle disorder and
> >> finds it near impossible to lift or move carboys without the help of
> >> someone else. I've got a version of a caboy lifter on the drawing
> >> board as well. Hopfully it'll be ready soon too.

> > As for moving carboys around the solution may be a solid rubber
> > stopper for the top and a furniture dolly.
> >
> > Lifting is a different story....but you do not have to lift a
> > carboy if you can pump the liquid out. My personal preference
> > is vacuum displacement (evacuate the empty carboy which then
> > draws the wine into it).

> I like this one, but my brain isn't registering on how to
> evacuate the empty carboy.
>
> Dick

With a vacuum pump.
www.wortwizard.com has the set up you need (the
double drilled stopper and tubing, but for this you want the filling
tube to reach down to the bottom of the empty carboy). Just look at
their technical diagrams and ignore all the brewing equipment. You do
not have to use their product either. You could use any vacuum
pump....maybe even an aquarium pump maybe able to draw enough air out
of the carboy to make it work... but that is probabally a longshot.

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

She Devil With A Rubber Chicken > wrote:
> DAve Allison > wrote:

>> My My. We all talk so brave when it's just among ourselves. :*)

> Hi. I'm a woman. I brew. I read this group. And I am ignoring the
> troll.

That was not a troll. It was disingenuous machoism.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Droopy > wrote:
> Dick Adams wrote:
>> Droopy > wrote:

>>> Lifting is a different story....but you do not have to lift a
>>> carboy if you can pump the liquid out. My personal preference
>>> is vacuum displacement (evacuate the empty carboy which then
>>> draws the wine into it).

>> I like this one, but my brain isn't registering on how to
>> evacuate the empty carboy.

> With a vacuum pump. www.wortwizard.com has the set up you need (the
> double drilled stopper and tubing, but for this you want the filling
> tube to reach down to the bottom of the empty carboy). Just look at
> their technical diagrams and ignore all the brewing equipment. You do
> not have to use their product either. You could use any vacuum
> pump....maybe even an aquarium pump maybe able to draw enough air out
> of the carboy to make it work... but that is probabally a longshot.

This is a very good idea for moving mead/beer in/out of a chest freezer.
I just got a stand-up freezer I had planned to use for fermenting. But
it has much more space than the family chest freezer. So I'm going to
switch them. I got mucho points for this idea and you all know how
badly I need points. But my child bride asked how I planned to get the
carboys out of the chest freezer. A Shop Vac would certainly have the
strength to do that. Now I have to figure out how to connect a Shop Vac.
SWMBO insists I figure things out before I do them.

Great suggestion, Droopy!

Dick

Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >,
Dick Adams > wrote:
>She Devil With A Rubber Chicken > wrote:
>> DAve Allison > wrote:

>>> My My. We all talk so brave when it's just among ourselves. :*)

>> Hi. I'm a woman. I brew. I read this group. And I am ignoring the
>> troll.

>That was not a troll. It was disingenuous machoism.

I didn't say what you *said* was a troll.

--
I see green again, with growing things ^ /o\ \ / /|\
The earth arise from out of the sea; |/\v/--- / \ /__ / | \
Fell torrents flow, overflies them the eagle b ^ | | \ / / |
On hoar highlands, which hunts for fish. | / \ V \ / |
Posted to rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

> I didn't say what you *said* was a troll.

ROTFLMAO.

Beef Lifter Meat Sqwertz Barbecue 2 24-08-2010 07:19 PM
Jar Lifter? JennB Preserving 5 06-12-2008 12:52 PM
Grip-Tite jar lifter George Shirley Preserving 33 16-03-2008 05:53 PM
Heavy duty pan lifter? Bob General Cooking 4 14-11-2006 06:09 PM
Old Jar Lifter Beka Preserving 7 17-09-2004 03:05 AM