DAve Allison

Default Apple Cider Wine - adding Tannin

Hi.
I'm taking some Apple Cider (no additives, just pastuerized) for a
gallon of wine. Have Jack Keller's recipe, he states "taste and add
tannin as necessary". The question is:
What am I tasting for? If it's dull, then I add tannin? When it bites my
tongue, I don't?
I am guessing, but wanted to confirm the use of adding Tannin.

thanks, and I read this newsgroup daily and growing in skill and
knowledge weekly.
DAve
Bob Bart

All the recipes I have for apple juice or cider wine call for 1/4 teaspoon
of tannin, per gallon.
I also would like to make some cider wine, but can't find cider without
preservatives.
Bart

Bob Bart wrote:
> I also would like to make some cider wine, but can't find cider without
> preservatives.
> Bart

Search your local area for "pick your own" apples. The one local to me
also had apples and cider for sale. No preservatives, and
unpasturized, if you can believe that in this world today. I'm
guessing they just produce apple cider so people can make hard cider.
Or for people who think pasturizing is bad, or something.

I left out the tannin, myself. Just cider, some spices, and cider
yeast from the wine store.

DAve Allison

Thanks. My question is : what does Tannin do? Does it make it more
"bite" or less "bite"?

I'm not sure what part of US you are in, but Ohio, Virginia and North
Carolina - I find local orchards have apple cider with no preservatives.
I can't find Apple juice though. But today I added the yeast, so my
gallon is off and running. The recipe says it should be ready to drink
in a year. wow. long wait. patience is what i'm learning in this hobby!
DAve

Bob Bart wrote:
> All the recipes I have for apple juice or cider wine call for 1/4 teaspoon
> of tannin, per gallon.
> I also would like to make some cider wine, but can't find cider without
> preservatives.
> Bart
>

> "DAve Allison" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi.
>>I'm taking some Apple Cider (no additives, just pastuerized) for a gallon
>>of wine. Have Jack Keller's recipe, he states "taste and add tannin as
>>necessary". The question is:
>>What am I tasting for? If it's dull, then I add tannin? When it bites my
>>tongue, I don't?
>>I am guessing, but wanted to confirm the use of adding Tannin.
>>
>>thanks, and I read this newsgroup daily and growing in skill and knowledge
>>weekly.
>>DAve

Ray Calvert

"DAve Allison" > wrote in message
> Hi.
> I'm taking some Apple Cider (no additives, just pastuerized) for a gallon
> of wine. Have Jack Keller's recipe, he states "taste and add tannin as
> necessary". The question is:
> What am I tasting for? If it's dull, then I add tannin? When it bites my
> tongue, I don't?
> I am guessing, but wanted to confirm the use of adding Tannin.
>
> thanks, and I read this newsgroup daily and growing in skill and knowledge
> weekly.
> DAve

It is always difficult to describe what something tastes like. We have lots
of words that we are all familiar with that describe what something looks
like but not that many that we all agree on that describe a taste.

Tannin adds zest or bite to the flavor if that does anything for you. Do
some experimenting even if you have to put off your adjustment a few weeks.
It will not hurt your wine to wait a little. Try this. Put 1/4 tsp of
grape tannin in a gallon of water. Set it aside for a few days to sit.
Then taste it and some plain water. this should give you an idea of what
underlying taste you are looking for.

If your wine tastes flat or unbalanced it could be due to lack of acid
(sour) or lack of tannin (bite). It is not always easy to tell which and if
both are off it is really hard. But if the acidity okay but it seems to be
lacking something, it is probably tannin. Try adding a little and see how
it effects it.

Ray

Droopy

Tannin is the dry astringent mouth puckering quality found in red wines
but not in white wines.

It is the bitterness found in plum skins and grape skins.

Ray Calvert

"Droopy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Tannin is the dry astringent mouth puckering quality found in red wines
> but not in white wines.

it is found in white wines. Just not to as great of an extent. Without any
tannin, white wines will be flat and flabby.

> It is the bitterness found in plum skins and grape skins.

Ray

patrick mcdonald

It is what provides a "chalkiness" or drying effect to the wine. Yes,it
occurs in both whites and reds but much, much, MUCH higher in reds
particularly because of the skin contact time (<1.5 days and maybe 28 days,
respectively).

Think of a BIG, RED cab. sauv. as drying your tongue to the top of your
mouth. Then consider a white, even full-bodied. You can have the extremes of
these two by balancing your tannin additions per your volume. Mind you,
whichever you prefer, this taste should be quite different in a cider than a
grape wine.

"DAve Allison" > wrote in message
> Thanks. My question is : what does Tannin do? Does it make it more "bite"
> or less "bite"?
>
> I'm not sure what part of US you are in, but Ohio, Virginia and North
> Carolina - I find local orchards have apple cider with no preservatives. I
> can't find Apple juice though. But today I added the yeast, so my gallon
> is off and running. The recipe says it should be ready to drink in a year.
> wow. long wait. patience is what i'm learning in this hobby!
> DAve
>
> Bob Bart wrote:
>> All the recipes I have for apple juice or cider wine call for 1/4
>> teaspoon of tannin, per gallon.
>> I also would like to make some cider wine, but can't find cider without
>> preservatives.
>> Bart
>>

>> "DAve Allison" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi.
>>>I'm taking some Apple Cider (no additives, just pastuerized) for a gallon
>>>of wine. Have Jack Keller's recipe, he states "taste and add tannin as
>>>necessary". The question is:
>>>What am I tasting for? If it's dull, then I add tannin? When it bites my
>>>tongue, I don't?
>>>I am guessing, but wanted to confirm the use of adding Tannin.
>>>
>>>thanks, and I read this newsgroup daily and growing in skill and
>>>knowledge weekly.
>>>DAve

Roy Boy

"DAve Allison" > wrote in message
> Thanks. My question is : what does Tannin do? Does it make it more "bite"
> or less "bite"?
>
> I'm not sure what part of US you are in, but Ohio, Virginia and North
> Carolina - I find local orchards have apple cider with no preservatives. I
> can't find Apple juice though. But today I added the yeast, so my gallon
> is off and running. The recipe says it should be ready to drink in a year.
> wow. long wait. patience is what i'm learning in this hobby!
> DAve
>
> Bob Bart wrote:
>> All the recipes I have for apple juice or cider wine call for 1/4
>> teaspoon of tannin, per gallon.
>> I also would like to make some cider wine, but can't find cider without
>> preservatives.
>> Bart
>>

>> "DAve Allison" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi.
>>>I'm taking some Apple Cider (no additives, just pastuerized) for a gallon
>>>of wine. Have Jack Keller's recipe, he states "taste and add tannin as
>>>necessary". The question is:
>>>What am I tasting for? If it's dull, then I add tannin? When it bites my
>>>tongue, I don't?
>>>I am guessing, but wanted to confirm the use of adding Tannin.
>>>
>>>thanks, and I read this newsgroup daily and growing in skill and
>>>knowledge weekly.
>>>DAve

Yes, DAve you must wait the allotted time with patience to receive your
reword.

DAve Allison

Thanks for all the replies. Now I get it. :*) I think I understand now
what to "taste" for applying Tannin to the apple cider wine.

next... pumpkin wine. Dang, my wife says we should consider a basement
in our next house to hold all the wine. ha.
DAve

Roy Boy wrote:
> "DAve Allison" > wrote in message
>
>>Thanks. My question is : what does Tannin do? Does it make it more "bite"
>>or less "bite"?
>>
>>I'm not sure what part of US you are in, but Ohio, Virginia and North
>>Carolina - I find local orchards have apple cider with no preservatives. I
>>can't find Apple juice though. But today I added the yeast, so my gallon
>>is off and running. The recipe says it should be ready to drink in a year.
>>wow. long wait. patience is what i'm learning in this hobby!
>>DAve
>>
>>Bob Bart wrote:
>>
>>>All the recipes I have for apple juice or cider wine call for 1/4
>>>teaspoon of tannin, per gallon.
>>>I also would like to make some cider wine, but can't find cider without
>>>preservatives.
>>>Bart
>>>

>>>"DAve Allison" > wrote in message
. ..

> Yes, DAve you must wait the allotted time with patience to receive your
> reword.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert

"DAve Allison" > wrote in message
.. .
> Thanks for all the replies. Now I get it. :*) I think I understand now
> what to "taste" for applying Tannin to the apple cider wine.
>
> next... pumpkin wine. Dang, my wife says we should consider a basement in
> our next house to hold all the wine. ha.
> DAve

Write that down and hold her to it! ;o)

Ray

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Droopy

No, talk her into a passive wine cellar underneath the backyard.

Apple wine/cider D P Wigley Winemaking 2 04-10-2009 11:58 PM
Cider-Roasted Turkey with Bacon-Apple Cider Gravy Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-11-2007 01:51 AM
Apple Cider / Juice Wine - 1.100 and holding. DAve Allison Winemaking 17 21-11-2005 10:35 PM
Apple cider/wine Adam Lang Winemaking 3 02-10-2004 02:19 AM
Cider vs Apple wine. Denis Marier Winemaking 2 06-10-2003 04:00 AM