Denis Marier

Default Cider vs Apple wine.

I do not know what is the difference between apple cider and apple wine.
The books I have are not very explicit about the difference. Some people
also use the word hot apple cider to describe apple juice laced with spices.
May someone can point me in the right direction to learn more about this
subject.

Greg Cook

In article >,
"Denis Marier" > wrote:

> I do not know what is the difference between apple cider and apple wine.
> The books I have are not very explicit about the difference. Some people
> also use the word hot apple cider to describe apple juice laced with spices.
> May someone can point me in the right direction to learn more about this
> subject.

Apple cider, in most of the world means fermented apple juice. That is,
fresh pressed apple juice that has been fermented with the natural
sugars present. The amount of sugar in apples provides an alcohohol
level about about 6-8%. Apple wine is fermented apple juice that has had
additional sugar added to bring the alcohol level, after fermentation,
to 11-13% or so alcohol --- this is in the range of wine levels. In
America, the name 'cider' is often used for the fresh apple juice from
fresh pressed apples. This is sometimes spiced and heated to prepare the
hot apple cider you refer to.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email address)
Denis Marier

Thanks Greg,

After so many years I finally get somewhere
about the definitions.

Apple wine/cider D P Wigley Winemaking 2 04-10-2009 11:58 PM
Cider-Roasted Turkey with Bacon-Apple Cider Gravy Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-11-2007 01:51 AM
Apple Cider / Juice Wine - 1.100 and holding. DAve Allison Winemaking 17 21-11-2005 10:35 PM
Apple Cider Wine - adding Tannin DAve Allison Winemaking 11 26-10-2005 05:24 PM
Apple cider/wine Adam Lang Winemaking 3 02-10-2004 02:19 AM