Old 22-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Lou

Default ML, needed?

Why are all you guys adding ML to red wine? I have never used it, do you
think it is necessary? Wineryies usually ML their Chard only partially, say
16% of batch.

Old 22-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Paul E. Lehmann

Lou wrote:

Why are all you guys adding ML to red wine? I have never used it, do you
think it is necessary? Wineryies usually ML their Chard only partially,
say 16% of batch.

Bet Rotter has an excellent writeup he
http://members.tripod.com/~BRotter/MLF.htm
Old 23-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Tom S

"Lou" wrote in message
Why are all you guys adding ML to red wine? I have never used it, do you
think it is necessary?

You may have had ML go in your reds without even knowing it! Most wines at
pH higher than 3.5 go spontaneously, especially if the free SO2 is lower
than ~50ppm.

Wineryies usually ML their Chard only partially, say
16% of batch.

That's a sweeping generalization that is probably very inaccurate. I'd say
it's more common that any given winery either runs full ML on their
Chardonnay or none at all. ML is a stylistic choice, and winemakers tend to
either love it or hate it.

Tom S

Old 23-10-2005, 03:51 AM
Jim

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 23:15:11 GMT, "Tom S"
wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message
Why are all you guys adding ML to red wine? I have never used it, do you
think it is necessary?

You may have had ML go in your reds without even knowing it! Most wines at
pH higher than 3.5 go spontaneously, especially if the free SO2 is lower
than ~50ppm.

Wineryies usually ML their Chard only partially, say
16% of batch.

That's a sweeping generalization that is probably very inaccurate. I'd say
it's more common that any given winery either runs full ML on their
Chardonnay or none at all. ML is a stylistic choice, and winemakers tend to
either love it or hate it.

Tom S

I do it on my red wine to better stabilize it and prevent sparkling
red wine.

Least needed? James Silverton[_3_] General Cooking 29 23-04-2012 07:49 AM
Help Needed kuba General Cooking 1 24-02-2012 08:38 PM
And another ... and help needed please Mary Fisher Sourdough 11 25-11-2006 09:30 PM
Help needed Lenmeister Wine 9 29-02-2004 10:40 AM