Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Least needed?

Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-

"As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
1.Juicer.
2.Bread maker.
3.Countertop grill.
4.Electric can opener."

I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
signs of wear.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 7:01*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>
> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
> 1.Juicer.
> 2.Bread maker.
> 3.Countertop grill.
> 4.Electric can opener."

The only one of those I've even owned is the small bread maker that I
have not used in over a year.
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>
> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
> 1.Juicer.
> 2.Bread maker.
> 3.Countertop grill.
> 4.Electric can opener."
>
> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
> only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
> more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
> about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
> signs of wear.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Depends on which type of juicer it is. The normal fruit juicers are
pretty small so they shouldn't be a space issue. The vegetable juicers
are larger, but there isn't really an alternative to them if you want to
make your own V8.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 7:01*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>
> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
> 1.Juicer.
> 2.Bread maker.
> 3.Countertop grill.
> 4.Electric can opener."
>
> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
> only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
> more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
> about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
> signs of wear.

The food processor (a gift) is the biggest offender at our house
though it sits in a cabinet. The George Foreman (another gift) sits in
the cabinet over the stove, although we will use it for making cuban
sandwiches from time to time. No electricity needed for making bread,
juicing, or opening cans -- the Swing-a-Way sits in the kitchen
drawer, the cute little Polish juicer sits in a server drawer, and the
big juicer on a cabinet shelf next to the Microplanes and the Feemster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:01:46 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>
>"As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
>popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
>1.Juicer.
>2.Bread maker.
>3.Countertop grill.
>4.Electric can opener."
>
>I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
>trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
>only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
>more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
>about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
>signs of wear.

In my kitchen- I've never owned or desired a juicer or bread maker. [I
bake bread without-- and have never been a juice drinker]

The George Foreman gets a workout 3-4 times a week. Mostly for the
dog's chicken, but I've been know to use it for people food on
occasion. Mine is only 5 years old-- but I've got a spare in the
basement that will probably get pressed into service in a couple
years.

I like my electric can opener. It is an undercabinet model that
doesn't take counter space; The nasty bits go in the dishwasher; it
is more robust than the last few hand openers I've owned.

We all have different wants/desires/demands.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 9:01*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>
> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
> 1.Juicer.
> 2.Bread maker.
> 3.Countertop grill.
> 4.Electric can opener."
>
> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
> only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
> more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
> about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
> signs of wear.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

I own none of those although I used to have a bread machine until I
gave it away. My countertop has a coffee maker and my KA stand
mixer, and a toaster-oven. That's all.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:01:46 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>
> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
> 1.Juicer.
> 2.Bread maker.
> 3.Countertop grill.
> 4.Electric can opener."
>
> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
> only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
> more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
> about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
> signs of wear.

Somebody gave me a juicer for a shower or wedding present (I forget
which) and I still have it sitting at the back of a deep shelf. It
certainly wasn't anything I would have picked out on my own. I used
it a few times when we were first married but I don't juice enough of
anything at any one time to make it worth dragging out and cleaning it
up after I use it.

I've never owned the last three.
1. I borrowed a bread maker from a friend years ago to see if I'd
like it and I didn't.
2. I use a stovetop grill or outside grill, so no need for another
appliance.
3. I don't open many cans and my hand crank can openers are easy to
use if & when I do need one. Like you, I may change my mind someday -
but I don't need one now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:27:49 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> The food processor (a gift) is the biggest offender at our house
> though it sits in a cabinet.

I love my food processor and my mini-chopper has been used so much I
need a new one. I've throw out a broad hint to my DD that a Ninja
Express would be greatly appreciated (I'm imagining it can replace the
mini-chopper) by me for the next gift giving occasion).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 10:01*am, James Silverton >
wrote:
> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>
> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
> 1.Juicer.
> 2.Bread maker.
> 3.Countertop grill.
> 4.Electric can opener."
>
> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
> only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
> more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
> about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
> signs of wear.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

My TWO bread machines have been used prob. over a thousand times all
told.

Don't own a juicer - wud like one, but the best ones are pricey.

Elec. can opener gave up the ghost and now I have the nice manual
one. Easy to clean and little storage space.

The Foreman gets hauled out about twice a month - used it last night
to grill two large mushrooms for a quick sangwidge.

These items are stowed in under counter cupboards. I still like my
vast counter Sahara.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2012 11:27 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Apr 16, 7:01 am, James > wrote:
>> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>>
>> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
>> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
>> 1.Juicer.
>> 2.Bread maker.
>> 3.Countertop grill.
>> 4.Electric can opener."
>>
>> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
>> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
>> only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
>> more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
>> about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
>> signs of wear.

> The food processor (a gift) is the biggest offender at our house
> though it sits in a cabinet. The George Foreman (another gift) sits in
> the cabinet over the stove, although we will use it for making cuban
> sandwiches from time to time. No electricity needed for making bread,
> juicing, or opening cans -- the Swing-a-Way sits in the kitchen
> drawer, the cute little Polish juicer sits in a server drawer, and the
> big juicer on a cabinet shelf next to the Microplanes and the Feemster.

I would be lost without my food processor! That and my stand mixer are
used on a regular basis - the toastie-maker and waffle maker are used
rarely, and sit out of the way on the top shelf in my pantry - the FP
and mixer live on my worktop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 4/16/2012 11:27 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 7:01 am, James > wrote:
>>> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>>>
>>> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
>>> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
>>> 1.Juicer.
>>> 2.Bread maker.
>>> 3.Countertop grill.
>>> 4.Electric can opener."
>>>
>>> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
>>> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
>>> only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
>>> more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
>>> about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
>>> signs of wear.

>> The food processor (a gift) is the biggest offender at our house
>> though it sits in a cabinet. The George Foreman (another gift) sits in
>> the cabinet over the stove, although we will use it for making cuban
>> sandwiches from time to time. No electricity needed for making bread,
>> juicing, or opening cans -- the Swing-a-Way sits in the kitchen
>> drawer, the cute little Polish juicer sits in a server drawer, and the
>> big juicer on a cabinet shelf next to the Microplanes and the Feemster.

> I would be lost without my food processor! That and my stand mixer are
> used on a regular basis - the toastie-maker and waffle maker are used
> rarely, and sit out of the way on the top shelf in my pantry - the FP and
> mixer live on my worktop.

Mine is my electric mincer/grinder/slicer/grater and my stand mixer
(Kenwood)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2012 2:18 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message

>> I would be lost without my food processor! That and my stand mixer are
>> used on a regular basis - the toastie-maker and waffle maker are used
>> rarely, and sit out of the way on the top shelf in my pantry - the FP
>> and mixer live on my worktop.

> Mine is my electric mincer/grinder/slicer/grater and my stand mixer
> (Kenwood)

I'm still using the mincer/grinder attachment for my mixer. (Actually, I
have two - one for the US - KitchenAid), and one for Scotland - Kenwood.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>
> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
> 1.Juicer.
> 2.Bread maker.
> 3.Countertop grill.
> 4.Electric can opener."
>
> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could only
> be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for more than
> 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is about 20 years
> old and still going strong, even if it is showing some signs of wear.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

I've had a few citrus juicers over the years. They've gotten a bit of use.
I refused to get an electric juicer. My husband wanted one when it was
demonstrated at the fair. I am not into juice. I think it is better to eat
the whole fruits and veggies. And they are indeed hard to clean.

My breadmaker is out in the garage. I used it a few times and never got a
satisfactory product from it but I was trying to make bread that was not
only gluten free but egg and dairy free.

Had a Foreman grill. Threw it out. Useless thing!

Had an electric can opener and threw it out too. Never could get it to work
right and I could open a can myself far quicker.

I also got rid of the waffle iron and electric skillet. Never used them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 4/16/2012 11:27 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>> On Apr 16, 7:01 am, James > wrote:
>>> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>>>
>>> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
>>> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
>>> 1.Juicer.
>>> 2.Bread maker.
>>> 3.Countertop grill.
>>> 4.Electric can opener."
>>>
>>> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
>>> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
>>> only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
>>> more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
>>> about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
>>> signs of wear.

>> The food processor (a gift) is the biggest offender at our house
>> though it sits in a cabinet. The George Foreman (another gift) sits in
>> the cabinet over the stove, although we will use it for making cuban
>> sandwiches from time to time. No electricity needed for making bread,
>> juicing, or opening cans -- the Swing-a-Way sits in the kitchen
>> drawer, the cute little Polish juicer sits in a server drawer, and the
>> big juicer on a cabinet shelf next to the Microplanes and the Feemster.

> I would be lost without my food processor! That and my stand mixer are
> used on a regular basis - the toastie-maker and waffle maker are used
> rarely, and sit out of the way on the top shelf in my pantry - the FP and
> mixer live on my worktop.

I got rid of my food processor recently. And I hardly ever use the stand
mixer. Should probably give that away too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, artisan2
@ix.netcom.com says...

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:13:25 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:27:49 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The food processor (a gift) is the biggest offender at our house
> >> though it sits in a cabinet.

> >I love my food processor and my mini-chopper has been used so much I
> >need a new one. I've throw out a broad hint to my DD that a Ninja
> >Express would be greatly appreciated (I'm imagining it can replace the
> >mini-chopper) by me for the next gift giving occasion).

> I love mine as well. I have it sitting out on the countertop, ready
> to use. I have a mini-chopper as well, and it is used a lot. So much
> so, that I wore out the first one I had..and had to get another one.
> I think having them sitting in a cabinet somewhere tends to discourage
> use.

I agree. I've had an FP for 30 years and use it often. It has a juicer
attachment which I only use when making marmalade. Never owned an electric
can opener or counter top grill.

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:32:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>>
>> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
>> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
>> 1.Juicer.
>> 2.Bread maker.
>> 3.Countertop grill.
>> 4.Electric can opener."
>>
>> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
>> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could only
>> be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for more than
>> 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is about 20 years
>> old and still going strong, even if it is showing some signs of wear.
>> --
>> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>>
>> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

>I've had a few citrus juicers over the years. They've gotten a bit of use.
>I refused to get an electric juicer. My husband wanted one when it was
>demonstrated at the fair. I am not into juice. I think it is better to eat
>the whole fruits and veggies. And they are indeed hard to clean.

Over 20 years ago I bought one of those citrus juicers taht you put a
fruit half in and pull a lever. It makes juice but it wastes all the
pulp... like you I much rather eat citrus out of hand.

>My breadmaker is out in the garage. I used it a few times and never got a
>satisfactory product from it but I was trying to make bread that was not
>only gluten free but egg and dairy free.

I like my bread maker but I will admit that I don't use it as often as
I used to, only because I don't eat as much bread anymore.

>Had a Foreman grill. Threw it out. Useless thing!

I never owned one.

>Had an electric can opener and threw it out too. Never could get it to work
>right and I could open a can myself far quicker.

I never owned an electric can opener. My mother owned one, I hated
it. For me nothing opens cans as well as a Swing-A-Way.

>I also got rid of the waffle iron and electric skillet. Never used them.

Never owned those either. I don't even like waffles, I don't like
pancakes either... if IHOP went out of business I'd never know. Those
electric skillets are too small and too weak.

My most important counter top appliance is my electric meat grinder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 2:32*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message

> > Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-

> > "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
> > popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
> > 1.Juicer.
> > 2.Bread maker.
> > 3.Countertop grill.
> > 4.Electric can opener."

> > I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
> > trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could only
> > be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for more than
> > 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is about 20 years
> > old and still going strong, even if it is showing some signs of wear.
> > --
> > Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

> > Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

> I've had a few citrus juicers over the years. *They've gotten a bit of use.
> I refused to get an electric juicer. *My husband wanted one when it was
> demonstrated at the fair. *I am not into juice. *I think it is better to eat
> the whole fruits and veggies. *And they are indeed hard to clean.
>
> My breadmaker is out in the garage. *I used it a few times and never got a
> satisfactory product from it but I was trying to make bread that was not
> only gluten free but egg and dairy free.
>
> Had a Foreman grill. *Threw it out. *Useless thing!
>
> Had an electric can opener and threw it out too. *Never could get it to work
> right and I could open a can myself far quicker.
>
> I also got rid of the waffle iron and electric skillet. *Never used them.

We have a foreman grill and use it a lot. Great for steaks and chicken
breasts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:34:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"S Viemeister" > wrote in message

>>> The food processor (a gift) is the biggest offender at our house
>>> though it sits in a cabinet. The George Foreman (another gift) sits in
>>> the cabinet over the stove, although we will use it for making cuban
>>> sandwiches from time to time. No electricity needed for making bread,
>>> juicing, or opening cans -- the Swing-a-Way sits in the kitchen
>>> drawer, the cute little Polish juicer sits in a server drawer, and the
>>> big juicer on a cabinet shelf next to the Microplanes and the Feemster.

>> I would be lost without my food processor! That and my stand mixer are
>> used on a regular basis - the toastie-maker and waffle maker are used
>> rarely, and sit out of the way on the top shelf in my pantry - the FP and
>> mixer live on my worktop.

>I got rid of my food processor recently. And I hardly ever use the stand
>mixer. Should probably give that away too.

I tossed my $300 food processor years ago (was a wedding gift), the
most worthless POS ever invented, went right in the trash. I have no
use for a stand mixer, there is nothing a 6 qt mixer can do that I
can't do by hand or with a hand mixer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Breadmaker is something I use in spurts with 6-12 months in between.

My can opener is the Hands-Free battery operated one, I love it.

I havent used my mini-processor since I bought a Chop-Stir:
http://chopstir.com/
Used my Chop-Stir just last week on black walnuts in a bowl-fuss free
chopping. For a plastic utensil it has very hard very sharp edges. I
also use it on broccoli-slaw to make the strands shorter. I use it on
ground beef in the fry pan. Haven't tried it on cheese yet but bet it
will work. I even used it on Taco Bell chalupas to turn them into a
salad.

My electric indoor grill with a plugin heating element I use every week.
I have a small and a large. I used to have an expensive storeware one
which was a beast to heave around and wash, but then I found at a junk
store later versions which are plastic with ss inserts.

My Foreman which I haven't tried yet is designed to grill an entire
chicken or roast on all sides at the same time. The lid reminds me of a
motorcycle helmut-large inner cavity.

I use my Hamilton Beach steam grill all the time-it doesnt have a drip
tray which I like-you can total contact grill it with butter or other
sauces at the same time-beats having to baste.

I DREAM OF LONG STRETCHES OF COUNTERTOP :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:01:46 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, James Silverton
> wrote,
>trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
>only be useful if I suffered from arthritis.

Not true; the electric can opener was a big help when I had a broken
arm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:49:41 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:13:25 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:27:49 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The food processor (a gift) is the biggest offender at our house
> >> though it sits in a cabinet.

> >I love my food processor and my mini-chopper has been used so much I
> >need a new one. I've throw out a broad hint to my DD that a Ninja
> >Express would be greatly appreciated (I'm imagining it can replace the
> >mini-chopper) by me for the next gift giving occasion).

> I love mine as well. I have it sitting out on the countertop, ready
> to use. I have a mini-chopper as well, and it is used a lot. So much
> so, that I wore out the first one I had..and had to get another one.
> I think having them sitting in a cabinet somewhere tends to discourage
> use. Having it sitting out in plain view, tends to remind me that I
> can use it for such and such...thus it gets used a lot.

I got impatient and bought the Ninga Express today. It has FOUR
blades! I couldn't decide between lime green and fuchsia, so I went
with the girlie color.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 16, 2012 9:01:46 AM UTC-5, James Silverton wrote:

> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>
> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
> 1.Juicer.
> 2.Bread maker.
> 3.Countertop grill.
> 4.Electric can opener."
>
> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could
> only be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for
> more than 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is
> about 20 years old and still going strong, even if it is showing some
> signs of wear.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

The only of those I've ever owned or used in the electric can opener and I tossed it over 5 years ago.

I have used a George Foreman grill and couldn't stand the way the food tasted, never bought one after that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JeanineAlyse" > wrote in message
> On Apr 16, 7:01 am, James Silverton > wrote:
>> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>>
>> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
>> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
>> 1.Juicer.
>> 2.Bread maker.
>> 3.Countertop grill.
>> 4.Electric can opener."

> The only one of those I've even owned is the small bread maker that I
> have not used in over a year.
> ...Picky

I had an electric can opener and couldn't see the point. It didn't open a
can any faster than I could with a manual can opener. In fact, it took even
more time. I had to futz with the damn thing to get the can to attach to
the magnet, which held it in place for the gears and blade or whatever. Too
much trouble. Would someone please just hand me a can opener?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/04/2012 6:55 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> "JeanineAlyse" > wrote in message
>> On Apr 16, 7:01 am, James Silverton > wrote:
>>> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>>>
>>> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
>>> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
>>> 1.Juicer.
>>> 2.Bread maker.
>>> 3.Countertop grill.
>>> 4.Electric can opener."

>> The only one of those I've even owned is the small bread maker that I
>> have not used in over a year.
>> ...Picky

> I had an electric can opener and couldn't see the point. It didn't open
> a can any faster than I could with a manual can opener. In fact, it took
> even more time. I had to futz with the damn thing to get the can to
> attach to the magnet, which held it in place for the gears and blade or
> whatever. Too much trouble. Would someone please just hand me a can opener?
>
> Jill

You forgot to mention that you have to unroll the cord, plug it in,
then, after cleaning, unplug and reroll the cord. It also takes up much
more space than the manual can opener. I haven't bothered with those
things for over 40 years.

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/04/2012 3:49 AM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:13:25 -0700, > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:27:49 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The food processor (a gift) is the biggest offender at our house
>>> though it sits in a cabinet.

>> I love my food processor and my mini-chopper has been used so much I
>> need a new one. I've throw out a broad hint to my DD that a Ninja
>> Express would be greatly appreciated (I'm imagining it can replace the
>> mini-chopper) by me for the next gift giving occasion).

> I love mine as well. I have it sitting out on the countertop, ready
> to use. I have a mini-chopper as well, and it is used a lot. So much
> so, that I wore out the first one I had..and had to get another one.
> I think having them sitting in a cabinet somewhere tends to discourage
> use. Having it sitting out in plain view, tends to remind me that I
> can use it for such and such...thus it gets used a lot.
>
> Christine

Our old house has plenty of bench space. This house that we "downsized
into" has much less benchspace so we tend to put away most gadgetry when
not in use.

--

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/04/2012 3:27 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:49:41 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:13:25 -0700, > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:27:49 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888

>>> I love my food processor and my mini-chopper has been used so much I
>>> need a new one. I've throw out a broad hint to my DD that a Ninja
>>> Express would be greatly appreciated (I'm imagining it can replace the
>>> mini-chopper) by me for the next gift giving occasion).

>> I love mine as well. I have it sitting out on the countertop, ready
>> to use. I have a mini-chopper as well, and it is used a lot. So much
>> so, that I wore out the first one I had..and had to get another one.
>> I think having them sitting in a cabinet somewhere tends to discourage
>> use. Having it sitting out in plain view, tends to remind me that I
>> can use it for such and such...thus it gets used a lot.
>>

> I got impatient and bought the Ninga Express today. It has FOUR
> blades! I couldn't decide between lime green and fuchsia, so I went
> with the girlie color.

If lime green was the only alternative, I'm not surprised you went
"girlie"...

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/04/2012 7:32 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "James > wrote in message
>> Today's Daily Telegraph web page lists:-
>>
>> "As Sullivan sorts through kitchens, she sees the same unused appliances
>> popping up. Here are her top space offenders.
>> 1.Juicer.
>> 2.Bread maker.
>> 3.Countertop grill.
>> 4.Electric can opener."
>>
>> I can only agree with her first and last. Juicers, especially, seem more
>> trouble to clean than they are worth and an electric can-opener could only
>> be useful if I suffered from arthritis. We used bread makers for more than
>> 20 years and at least once a week and the Forman grill is about 20 years
>> old and still going strong, even if it is showing some signs of wear.
>> --
>> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>>
>> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

> I've had a few citrus juicers over the years. They've gotten a bit of use.
> I refused to get an electric juicer. My husband wanted one when it was
> demonstrated at the fair. I am not into juice. I think it is better to eat
> the whole fruits and veggies. And they are indeed hard to clean.
>
> My breadmaker is out in the garage. I used it a few times and never got a
> satisfactory product from it but I was trying to make bread that was not
> only gluten free but egg and dairy free.
>
> Had a Foreman grill. Threw it out. Useless thing!

Love my Foreman griller. Bought 2 and have never needed to use the large
one. It's still boxed and out in the garage. The small one gets a
workout once a week at a minimum.

> Had an electric can opener and threw it out too. Never could get it to work
> right and I could open a can myself far quicker.

That's what I found.

> I also got rid of the waffle iron and electric skillet. Never used them.

I wish I still had my old waffle iron. It was one of those simple
non-electric devices you fill and place in a fire. Hasn't been used
since we got rid of open fireplaces so my wife gave it away a few years
back. Was not happy as it was perfect on barbecue days. Haven't had too
many of those in recent times either.

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I had an electric can opener and couldn't see the point.

I didn't buy mine but I liked it when I had it. Once it died, I didn't
bother getting a new one.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2012 12:15 PM, sf wrote:

> One thing we had done with the kitchen update/facelift was to convert
> all the lower cabinets to pull out shelving. I'm so glad we did it!
> Granted, I lost storage space but I don't hesitate to use what's there
> anymore even if it's at the back because I can just pull out the shelf
> to get to it easily. If I couldn't do anything else, I'd pick that to
> do again and just live with Formica counters and enameled appliances.

I did pull out shelves in my lower cabinets too but I did it the cheap
way. They are just metal shelves that I installed. It's so much easier
and yes, you do lose a little space.
Senior Member

Location: New York

I've owned a juicer and bread maker. And Those are very useful for my daily kitchen activities.

Help Needed kuba General Cooking 1 24-02-2012 08:38 PM
help needed [email protected] Winemaking 4 05-04-2007 03:20 PM
And another ... and help needed please Mary Fisher Sourdough 11 25-11-2006 09:30 PM
Help needed Lenmeister Wine 9 29-02-2004 10:40 AM