Member

Location: Diamond Bar
Default Highest usable Brix for Cabernet

What is the highest BRIX allowable for a fine Cabernet Sauvignon? I have the chance to pickup some fruit at a 24 Brix, is this too high? No word on the pH or TA.

THanks!
Paul E. Lehmann

Diamond Vintner wrote:

> What is the highest BRIX allowable for a fine Cabernet Sauvignon? I
> have the chance to pickup some fruit at a 24 Brix, is this too high?
> No word on the pH or TA.
>
> THanks!

Brix alone is not all that definitive.
Suggest you check the other parameters (pH and TA)

CJ

Precisely.

It's all about balance.

If the Brix is high, but there is enough acid and tannins to keep the
wine balanced, then 24 brix is fine.

If you vinify the wine and find it flabby, you can always blend it
later on to create a more balanced wine.

Tom S

"Diamond Vintner" > wrote in
message news

> What is the highest BRIX allowable for a fine Cabernet Sauvignon? I
> have the chance to pickup some fruit at a 24 Brix, is this too high?

The latest word I have on this is "26 is the new 24".

IOW, no, that isn't too high. If you want to make some really ass-kicking
Cabernet you might want to wait. Keep an eye on the weather forecast and be
sure to factor in the condition of the fruit. If it's nice and clean, and
sunny skys are in the forecast you might want to wait a bit. OTOH, if
there's already rot/botrytis at 24° you may have waited too long.

I've made some really nice Cabernet from fruit that came in at ~23° Brix.

> No word on the pH or TA.

Don't worry about that. You can fix that with tartaric if necessary.

Tom S

Joe Sallustio

I'm doing a Merlot that came in at 24, buy it. The fruit was perfect
and the acid was good enough, I touched it up with a little tartaric.
Joe

> > What is the highest BRIX allowable for a fine Cabernet Sauvignon? I
> > have the chance to pickup some fruit at a 24 Brix, is this too high?

> The latest word I have on this is "26 is the new 24".
>
> > No word on the pH or TA.

> Don't worry about that. You can fix that with tartaric if necessary.
>
> Tom S

Ben Rotter

Tom S wrote:
> > No word on the pH or TA.

> Don't worry about that. You can fix that with tartaric if necessary.

If you really care about fruit ripeness then that statement is highly
misleading. With regards to fruit maturity, pH and TA aren't just
measures of acidity in their own right but also a measure of the
overall maturity of the fruit.

> The latest word I have on this is "26 is the new 24".

For California, sure, that's the *trend*.

I'm not advocating 23/24/26 here, just that if you want a true picture
of the quality of your fruit you need to have a wholistic view of fruit
maturity to base your harvest decision on.

Ben