pheasant

Default Stabilizing -Sodium Benzoate

Another milestone in our first batches of wine!

We've reached the bottling stage. My wife wants to sweeten up her apple and
blueberry wines a bit.

White grape for apple, red grape (concentrates) for blueberry.

She says she needs to stabilize them so yeasties won't take off again. (this
stuff has aged 6-8 months with no bubbles already)

She has read sodium benzoate can be used, we have powder, not a tablet like
her book states.
Can someone please be so kind as to tell me what % solution, or how many
mg/gallon to add?

Thanks

Mark

Dar V

Hmmm...well, there's at least 2 kinds of wine stabilizers out there, sodium
benzoate and potassium sorbate (says about 1/2 tsp per gallon on my jar). I
think sodium benzoate is 1/2 tsp per gallon. My stuff is a powder, not
tablets. Hope this helps.
Darlene

"pheasant" > wrote in message
> Another milestone in our first batches of wine!
>
> We've reached the bottling stage. My wife wants to sweeten up her apple
> and
> blueberry wines a bit.
>
> White grape for apple, red grape (concentrates) for blueberry.
>
> She says she needs to stabilize them so yeasties won't take off again.
> (this
> stuff has aged 6-8 months with no bubbles already)
>
> She has read sodium benzoate can be used, we have powder, not a tablet
> like
> her book states.
> Can someone please be so kind as to tell me what % solution, or how many
> mg/gallon to add?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

Robert Lewis

Yep, me too. Looking at my potassium sorbate bottle, it says 1/2 teaspoon
per gallon. Mine's in granular form.....looks kind of like white colored
IMR smokeless powder (you gun enthusiast will get that one).

Robert

"Dar V" > wrote in message
news
> Hmmm...well, there's at least 2 kinds of wine stabilizers out there,
> sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (says about 1/2 tsp per gallon on my
> jar). I think sodium benzoate is 1/2 tsp per gallon. My stuff is a powder,
> not tablets. Hope this helps.
> Darlene
>
> "pheasant" > wrote in message
>> Another milestone in our first batches of wine!
>>
>> We've reached the bottling stage. My wife wants to sweeten up her apple
>> and
>> blueberry wines a bit.
>>
>> White grape for apple, red grape (concentrates) for blueberry.
>>
>> She says she needs to stabilize them so yeasties won't take off again.
>> (this
>> stuff has aged 6-8 months with no bubbles already)
>>
>> She has read sodium benzoate can be used, we have powder, not a tablet
>> like
>> her book states.
>> Can someone please be so kind as to tell me what % solution, or how many
>> mg/gallon to add?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mark

pheasant

"Robert Lewis" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Yep, me too. Looking at my potassium sorbate bottle, it says 1/2

teaspoon
> per gallon. Mine's in granular form.....looks kind of like white colored
> IMR smokeless powder (you gun enthusiast will get that one).
>
> Robert

Geez! I even removed my sig so as not to offend anyone!! How did you know?

Personally I'm fond of Varget and H4895 for the 358's reduced loads.

"Guns cause crime the same way pens cause bad spelling"
or
"Four boxes protect our freedoms; the ballot box, soap box, jury box and
cartridge box."

Half a teaspoon it will be. Thanks folks!

Mark

Good to see I'm not only one who understood Robert's comment. Use
mostly Alliant FLakes here, but know what he means, so now I know what it
looks like without even having any sodium benzoate around.

Joel

"pheasant" > wrote in message

> "Robert Lewis" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> Yep, me too. Looking at my potassium sorbate bottle, it says 1/2

> teaspoon
>> per gallon. Mine's in granular form.....looks kind of like white colored
>> IMR smokeless powder (you gun enthusiast will get that one).
>>
>> Robert

> Geez! I even removed my sig so as not to offend anyone!! How did you
> know?
>

> Personally I'm fond of Varget and H4895 for the 358's reduced loads.
>
> "Guns cause crime the same way pens cause bad spelling"
> or
> "Four boxes protect our freedoms; the ballot box, soap box, jury box and
> cartridge box."
>
> Half a teaspoon it will be. Thanks folks!
>
> Mark

Benzoate + EC-1118=RIP pheasant Winemaking 2 24-06-2009 11:12 AM
sodium benzoate webgurl69 Winemaking 2 03-06-2008 07:33 PM
Sodium Benzoate or Potassium Sorbate spud Winemaking 3 23-01-2005 12:58 AM
Sodium Benzoate J F Winemaking 5 11-01-2005 04:30 PM
Sodium Benzoate J F Winemaking 0 09-01-2005 09:56 PM