Old 30-05-2008, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default sodium benzoate

Can I make wine out of cranberry juice concentrate? In the ingredients I
see there is sodium benzoate......perhaps that is why the yeast does not
want to grow.......

anything I can do?

I inherited the cranberry syrup from the restaurant that I work
at.......they use it in the bar and run it through the "pop gun" they have
at the bar.......I also have orange juice syrup.....same thing, loaded with
sodium benzoate

thanks for any thoughts, Grace

Old 30-05-2008, 10:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On May 29, 11:35*pm, "webgurl69" wrote:
Can I make wine out of cranberry juice concentrate? *In the ingredients I
see there is sodium benzoate......perhaps that is why the yeast does not
want to grow.......

anything I can do?

I inherited the cranberry syrup from the restaurant that I work
at.......they use it in the bar and run it through the "pop gun" they have
at the bar.......I also have orange juice syrup.....same thing, loaded with
sodium benzoate

thanks for any thoughts, Grace

Sorry Grace, no. The only thing that may work is to make a starter
and slowly add this juice to the starter but that is doubtful too.

Joe
Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Real Cranberry and Blueberry contain quite large amounts of natural
benzoic acid.
As Benzoic acid is anti yeast lactic bacteria fermentation of these
materials tends to be favoured.
Bob M
www.molab.co.nz

Benzoate + EC-1118=RIP pheasant Winemaking 2 24-06-2009 11:12 AM
Stabilizing -Sodium Benzoate pheasant Winemaking 5 27-08-2005 08:55 PM
Sodium Benzoate or Potassium Sorbate spud Winemaking 3 23-01-2005 01:58 AM
Sodium Benzoate J F Winemaking 5 11-01-2005 05:30 PM
Sodium Benzoate J F Winemaking 0 09-01-2005 10:56 PM