Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Benzoate + EC-1118=RIP

Finally got around to trying to get our apple juice from last fall
going. Our presser shorted us a gallon, so added some "all natural"
nothing added cider. After 3 days of no dice, proofing another packet
of yeast, and another 2 days no dice, dug it out of the can and looked.
Even my bifocals had a heck of a time reading it, but sodium benzoate
added was there. Oh well, the local treatment plant had a sweet treat
today.
Apparently even 1 gallon added to 4 home pressed was a killer.

Lesson learned.
--

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It seems like it's too late for this batch, but there are strategies
for dealing with this. Basically you just have to get a really, really
big yeast starter going and then pitch it. You may have to do this
more than once, and the fermentation does take longer than usual. Jack
Keller has covered this topic on his site.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

pheasant wrote:

> looked. Even my bifocals had a heck of a time reading it, but sodium
> benzoate added was there. Oh well, the local treatment plant had a
> sweet treat today.
> Apparently even 1 gallon added to 4 home pressed was a killer.
>

> Lesson learned.

Looks like the sodium benzoate is used in bottled liquids but not in canned
ones, maybe due to a higher degree of protection the can gives to the
content. You may be luckier with canned juice.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Yeast K1V-1116 / K1V-1118 [email protected] Winemaking 2 15-10-2008 06:33 PM
sodium benzoate webgurl69 Winemaking 2 03-06-2008 07:33 PM
Lalvin EC-1118 same as RedStar Premier Curvee? Wino-Nouveau Winemaking 4 30-08-2005 08:48 PM
Sodium Benzoate J F Winemaking 5 11-01-2005 04:30 PM
Sodium Benzoate J F Winemaking 0 09-01-2005 09:56 PM