Hugh Willmer

Default fermenting

Hi just wondered if someone could help me, im making some cherry wine for
the 1st time and the recipe says that you ferment it in a bucket covered for
2 weeks before its put into gallon demijohns can anyone explain why this is
done and why cant you put the liquid straight into the demijohns .

Dar V

Well, I don't know that I would wait 2 weeks to transfer to a glass
demijohn, but I would ferment in a bucket at least until the SG hits 0 or
below. When I ferment on fruit, I have a glass container/bucket which I
ferment in. Usually, a ferment needs a little oxygen to make sure it keeps
going, and this you do by stirring the must 2 times a day. If you are
fermenting on fruit, then you might need to push your cap (bag with fruit or
just the fruit) down each time you stir. Maybe I should ask, are you
fermenting on fruit or are you just using cherry juice?
Darlene

"Hugh Willmer" > wrote in message
> Hi just wondered if someone could help me, im making some cherry wine for
> the 1st time and the recipe says that you ferment it in a bucket covered
> for 2 weeks before its put into gallon demijohns can anyone explain why
> this is done and why cant you put the liquid straight into the demijohns .

Hugh Willmer

hi i crushed the cherries then poured boiling water over them kept them in a
bucket for 2 days then strained them and added the yeast. Now they are in a
barrel closly covered

Alan Gould

In article >, Hugh Willmer <hugh@willm
er2.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>Hi just wondered if someone could help me, im making some cherry wine for
>the 1st time and the recipe says that you ferment it in a bucket covered for
>2 weeks before its put into gallon demijohns can anyone explain why this is
>done and why cant you put the liquid straight into the demijohns .

Mainly because the initial fermentation is done on the fruit, which you
wouldn't want in the demijohns. Depending on the recipe or method you
are following, fermentation is often much more rapid at the early stage
and is easier to handle in a bucket or bin than in airlocked jars.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Ray Calvert

I agree with Darlene. 2 weeks is a bit long. Actually there is a simple
way to tell when to move it. Start your fermentation. It will get to going
real strong and all the crushed fruit will tend to rise to the top and form
what is called a cap. You need to stir this back down in the juice 2 times
a day. If you do not, it will start to dry out and mold will start growing
on it. Not good! Do not worry about O2 getting to it while you stir it.
At this stage there is not enough alcohol in it to have a serious oxidation
problem and the yeast need a bit of oxidation to reproduce and build up a
good colony.

Then the fermentation will slow down. When it slows down enough, the
crushed fruit will stop rising to the top. When this happens, it is time to
move it to sealed carboys. This is an indication that fermentation has
slowed to the point that it will not keep a good enough CO2 blanket on the
wine to protect it. This may be in as few as 3 days or many as 7 days.

Ray

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Well, I don't know that I would wait 2 weeks to transfer to a glass
> demijohn, but I would ferment in a bucket at least until the SG hits 0 or
> below. When I ferment on fruit, I have a glass container/bucket which I
> ferment in. Usually, a ferment needs a little oxygen to make sure it keeps
> going, and this you do by stirring the must 2 times a day. If you are
> fermenting on fruit, then you might need to push your cap (bag with fruit
> or just the fruit) down each time you stir. Maybe I should ask, are you
> fermenting on fruit or are you just using cherry juice?
> Darlene
>
> "Hugh Willmer" > wrote in message
>> Hi just wondered if someone could help me, im making some cherry wine for
>> the 1st time and the recipe says that you ferment it in a bucket covered
>> for 2 weeks before its put into gallon demijohns can anyone explain why
>> this is done and why cant you put the liquid straight into the demijohns
>> .

Woodswun

Hugh Willmer wrote:
> Hi just wondered if someone could help me, im making some cherry wine for
> the 1st time and the recipe says that you ferment it in a bucket covered for
> 2 weeks before its put into gallon demijohns can anyone explain why this is
> done and why cant you put the liquid straight into the demijohns .

Initial fermentation can be rather robust, creating a bunch of foam that
could either pop or gum up your airlock. Also, it's a whole lot easier
to get the fruit out of a bucket than out a bottleneck.

Woods

Help! My cranberries are not fermenting Igor Winemaking 5 19-02-2006 05:24 AM
DAP to fermenting must jeff Winemaking 1 14-09-2005 12:46 PM
fermenting Alex Winemaking 3 28-09-2004 05:59 PM
Do I need a fermenting bin? Derrick Bateman Winemaking 5 04-07-2004 12:04 PM
what's fermenting? Dar V Winemaking 25 19-10-2003 01:56 AM