John Knapp

Default splitting vines?

Hi there.
I got the bug this spring to make wine so for fun I planted my first vines.
Ok so I only planted 6 of them but so far they are growing really well and
now I want to plant more. Is it possible to split a vine? If so, how and
when? It might be better in the long run just to buy more although I
thought I would ask.

If anyone can suggest any sites or books to read that would be great as
well.

--JT
Washington State

Mike McGeough

John,

It's easy to propagate grape vines if they're not grafted, but a little
problematic if they are.

If you have abundant strong canes growing now, you might be able to bend
one (or more) down, bury a node in the soil, and start a new vine by
layering. Next year, transplant it or leave it in place as needed.

Another way is to take hardwood (one year old) cuttings next spring (the
prunings you would burn anyway), and root them. Cuttings should be 3 or
4 nodes, and __planted bottom down__ , burying one or two nodes.This
takes longer to get a new vine than layering, but you can get dozens of
vines from the prunings of one vine.

If you want to propagate grafted vines, you've got to propagate both
parts, by starting new rootstock vines and then grafting the scion
material onto that the next year. Time consuming and tricky and not for
beginners.

HTH

--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

http://www.usenet.com

(2008-06-19) NS-RFC: Splitting the check... ChattyCathy General Cooking 33 24-06-2008 05:00 PM
Splitting Brian Sourdough 2 05-07-2007 08:18 PM
splitting wood kurtk Barbecue 11 25-12-2005 05:54 AM
Splitting a Pork Shoulder Kevin B Barbecue 10 05-02-2005 02:17 AM
Cream Splitting? gary General 0 04-05-2004 07:07 PM