Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-06-19) NS-RFC: Splitting the check...

http://www.recfoodcooking.com
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

MCINL -- I start out with pay for what you order but also have
no problem splitting it evenly.

I've been to (and in charge of) company-sponsored meals, too,
but that won't help me decide whether to attend or not...

The "Beanie #2" Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

I haven't had to split the check in ages. I'm a cover the table guy. But, if
you and 2D Jack were at the table, I'd make 2D Jack pay his own way!

:P

2D, 21st century?!?

Shame, shame, shame!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:39:54 -0700, The Ranger wrote:

> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> MCINL --

Ah. Knew there was a reason I put it in there...

>I start out with pay for what you order but also have
> no problem splitting it evenly.

Sorry, don't get it. 'Splain please?

> I've been to (and in charge of) company-sponsored meals, too, but that
> won't help me decide whether to attend or not...
>
> The "Beanie #2" Ranger

It's yours. You must have quite a collection by now ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> ChattyCathy > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> MCINL -- I start out with pay for what you order but also have no problem
> splitting it evenly.
>
> I've been to (and in charge of) company-sponsored meals, too, but that
> won't help me decide whether to attend or not...
>
> The "Beanie #2" Ranger

Unless I am being specifically invited out, & being screwed into paying
"my portion" for 3 bottles of $75.00 Chianti I now order separate checks.
--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Most of the time we split the check evenly but this is also announced
before just so everyone knows we are all on the same page.

I have dinner with a group (6 -8) of former coworkers a couple of times
a year and this is what we usually do. One is a non drinker so we
usually just adjust her share slightly depending upon how much alcohol
has been consumed. It's just easier.

Take-out in the office was a different matter - menus went around with
an envelope. You paid your share plus tax and tip.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:57:12 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> Unless I am being specifically invited out, & being screwed into paying
>"my portion" for 3 bottles of $75.00 Chianti I now order separate checks.

I always order my drinks as a separate item that *I* pay for
separately. It's not fair to make others pay for my alcohol
consumption. OTOH, if drinking is an understood part of the meal and
you're the only one sticking with water - then suck it up and pay or
don't attend.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

None of the answers fit. I owned the (v small) company so if we went out I
paid.
Socially this applies now, too. It depends on who is involved. Sometimes
people are included that you know really scrape by, so paying your own is
best so they can control expenditure. Other wise it's split it, except once
we were a group of 20 one night, including some fairly poorly off people.
The arranger picked the place because they served some very cheap things
those people could order. Someone else barged in and not only ordered
platters and platters of things to share before we even ordered, but then at
the end declared that of course we would split the bill by twenty. I was
furious, but he was dismissive and a bit of a bully. So a family with a 3
year old and a 9 month old paid 4/20ths of the over-all bill and we all paid
for the platters Mr. Forceful had ordered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <.> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:57:12 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
>> Unless I am being specifically invited out, & being screwed into paying
>>"my portion" for 3 bottles of $75.00 Chianti I now order separate checks.

> I always order my drinks as a separate item that *I* pay for
> separately. It's not fair to make others pay for my alcohol
> consumption. OTOH, if drinking is an understood part of the meal and
> you're the only one sticking with water - then suck it up and pay or
> don't attend.

It's an interesting situation an ex SILL had expensive taste with other
people's money. On that occasion he just ordered the wine and expected
everyone to chip-in without asking others at the table if they wanted to
share in the expense. not exactly the best methodology.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> "sf" <.> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:57:12 -0700, "Dimitri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Unless I am being specifically invited out, & being screwed into
>>> paying "my portion" for 3 bottles of $75.00 Chianti I now order
>>> separate checks.

>> I always order my drinks as a separate item that *I* pay for
>> separately. It's not fair to make others pay for my alcohol

> It's an interesting situation an ex SILL had expensive taste with
> other people's money. On that occasion he just ordered the wine and
> expected everyone to chip-in without asking others at the table if
> they wanted to share in the expense. not exactly the best
> methodology.

It's rude, IMHO. I don't expect someone who is drinking water, coffee or
tea to pay for the wine I might have with dinner. I'm strictly the you pay
for yours, I'll pay for mine type.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:50:21 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"sf" <.> wrote in message ...
>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:57:12 -0700, "Dimitri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Unless I am being specifically invited out, & being screwed into paying
>>>"my portion" for 3 bottles of $75.00 Chianti I now order separate checks.

>> I always order my drinks as a separate item that *I* pay for
>> separately. It's not fair to make others pay for my alcohol
>> consumption. OTOH, if drinking is an understood part of the meal and
>> you're the only one sticking with water - then suck it up and pay or
>> don't attend.

>It's an interesting situation an ex SILL had expensive taste with other
>people's money. On that occasion he just ordered the wine and expected
>everyone to chip-in without asking others at the table if they wanted to
>share in the expense. not exactly the best methodology.

Well, *I* think he was just plain rude. I guess that's one of many
reasons why he's an "ex".

In my group of friends, when someone orders a bottle to share with the
table, everyone else has a say on the price cap.... after all, it's
their money too. If the person ordering is also *paying* for the
bottle, hey - spend as much (or little) as you want.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Dimitri wrote:
>> "sf" <.> wrote in message

>>> I always order my drinks as a separate item that *I* pay for
>>> separately. It's not fair to make others pay for my alcohol

>> It's an interesting situation an ex SILL had expensive taste with
>> other people's money. On that occasion he just ordered the wine and
>> expected everyone to chip-in without asking others at the table if
>> they wanted to share in the expense. not exactly the best
>> methodology.

> It's rude, IMHO. I don't expect someone who is drinking water, coffee
> or tea to pay for the wine I might have with dinner. I'm strictly the
> you pay for yours, I'll pay for mine type.
>
> Jill

I'd never let Jill pay the check after our meal! A long-lasting fondness of
mine! ))

Andy
Gentleman-like guy that I yam!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:37:29 -0500, Andy wrote:

> jmcquown said...
>>
>> It's rude, IMHO. I don't expect someone who is drinking water, coffee
>> or tea to pay for the wine I might have with dinner. I'm strictly the
>> you pay for yours, I'll pay for mine type.
>>
>> Jill

> I'd never let Jill pay the check after our meal! A long-lasting fondness of
> mine! ))
>
> Andy
> Gentleman-like guy that I yam!

Don't you mean "3D-like guy"?

:P

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:37:29 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
>> jmcquown said...
>>>
>>> It's rude, IMHO. I don't expect someone who is drinking water, coffee
>>> or tea to pay for the wine I might have with dinner. I'm strictly the
>>> you pay for yours, I'll pay for mine type.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I'd never let Jill pay the check after our meal! A long-lasting
>> fondness of mine! ))
>>
>> Andy
>> Gentleman-like guy that I yam!

> Don't you mean "3D-like guy"?
>
>:P

Cathy,

You really SHOULD see me in 3D!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> It's rude, IMHO. I don't expect someone who is drinking water, coffee or
> tea to pay for the wine I might have with dinner. I'm strictly the you
> pay for yours, I'll pay for mine type.
>
> Jill

If there is a big imbalance, you're correct, but I'm not going to figure
down to the penny. .

Otherwise, I think there are only three options.
1. I pay it all
2. You pay it all
3. We split down the middle

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:35:12 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com

MCINL - When we would go out to a business lunch with co-workers, the
senior member always paid the whole bill and settled up with the
company on his/her expense report.

When it is just a social lunch with co-workers there were several
ways to pay the bill:

1) If the bill was less than $100 someone would usually grab it a pay
for all.

2) If it included more expensive meals and drinks, we each tried to
estimate what our share was, including 20% tip, and toss in a couple
of more dollars just for good measure. (The waiters loved to see us
coming).

3) If it was a larger group (more than 5 or 6 people), we would get a
menu a few days in advance and pre-select our meals and notify the
restaurant in advance. We would also collect the money in advance and
have one person pay the check.

The whole idea is to try to keep from having the wait staff try to
write separate checks for each person. (They hate that).

Ron Kelley
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 19 Jun 2008 10:01:55p, Ron told us...

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:35:12 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>>http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> MCINL - When we would go out to a business lunch with co-workers, the

MCINL - When we go out to a departmental lunch with co-workers (it's a
small department of 8), most of the time our boss picks up the check for
everyone, including the tip. I suspect the bill ends up on his corporate
credit card. If he plans to pick up the check, he quietly announces that
before we order. There are other times when the same group goes out and we
simply split the bill evenly, including the tip. It's a fair arrangement
for our particular group because we have no "bums" and most of us order
menu items of comparable price. If that weren't the case, I would ask for
a separate check.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>MCINL - When we go out to a departmental lunch with co-workers (it's a
>small department of 8), most of the time our boss picks up the check for
>everyone, including the tip.

In such scenarios, I hand the waitstaffperson a $20 on the
way out, harboring a belief that bosses tip too low on group
lunches, even if I didn't have a chance to glance at the final
bill. I don't make a point of people (including boss)
seeing me doing this but I don't make a point of hiding it either.

(Hmm... I haven't had a job recently either. Maybe I teed
off too many bosses.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 19 Jun 2008 11:33:12p, Steve Pope told us...

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>MCINL - When we go out to a departmental lunch with co-workers (it's a
>>small department of 8), most of the time our boss picks up the check for
>>everyone, including the tip.

> In such scenarios, I hand the waitstaffperson a $20 on the
> way out, harboring a belief that bosses tip too low on group
> lunches, even if I didn't have a chance to glance at the final
> bill. I don't make a point of people (including boss)
> seeing me doing this but I don't make a point of hiding it either.
>
> (Hmm... I haven't had a job recently either. Maybe I teed
> off too many bosses.)
>
> Steve

That may be common, but I have a generous boss, so I don't worry about it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
We have them exactly where they want
us. (cmdr James T. Kirk)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ron wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:35:12 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
> 2) If it included more expensive meals and drinks, we each tried to
> estimate what our share was, including 20% tip, and toss in a couple
> of more dollars just for good measure. (The waiters loved to see us
> coming).

What's to "estimate"? You can plainly see by reading the menu your surf &
turf cost $32.95 as opposed to the $10 Cobb Salad ordered by the person
sitting next to you.

> The whole idea is to try to keep from having the wait staff try to
> write separate checks for each person. (They hate that).
>
> Ron Kelley

Actually, servers (IMO) don't hate separate checks. It's easier to keep up
with special orders on separate checks and really doesn't take any more
effort to write on a separate check. Perhaps the difficulty comes in
because young servers these days don't know how to do it. You start off at
one point at the table and take orders clockwise, making a note on the check
as to which check goes with which chair

Jill <--was an excellent server in a previous life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 10:54 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:39:54 -0700, The Ranger wrote:

> > I start out with pay for what you order but also have
> > no problem splitting it evenly.
> >

> Sorry, don't get it. 'Splain please?

When the groups have been small enough, and I was comfortable with not
worrying about having to cover any shortages, I'd happily work the
check out so that I paid for what I ordered. The extra effort never
seemed to matter; there was always someone willing to work the numbers
and collect the cash. But when the groups got larger, and we started
getting shorted (usually in tip), we'd divide the total bill by the
number of diners.

Nowadays most current restaurant software can provide separate checks
for each dinner without difficulty so it's become a moot point.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 10:57 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message ...

> > MCINL -- I start out with pay for what you order but
> > also have no problem splitting it evenly.

> Unless I am being specifically invited out, & being
> screwed into paying "my portion" for 3 bottles of $75.00
> Chianti I now order separate checks.

With the newer restaurant software, this is becoming less an issue.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 1:35 pm, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

We usually pay our own portion of the check, unless someone forgets to
inform the waitperson beforehand. Then if we don't have correct
change, one of us will pay and collect from the rest. And there's one
guy we don't invite out, since he feels tips are not necessary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-06-19, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Pshaw!

Splitting the check is something you do with someone:

A) You don't like
B) A friend so close you can tell to "ef off!".

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2008-06-19, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Pshaw!
>
> Splitting the check is something you do with someone:
>
> A) You don't like
> B) A friend so close you can tell to "ef off!".
>
> nb

The one that my grandkids like is:

Bless the meat
damn the skin
Throw back your ears and
dig in.
Yea Lord!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-06-20, George Shirley > wrote:

> Throw back your ears and
> dig in.

ummm.... is this before "the talk" or after?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2008-06-20, George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Throw back your ears and
>> dig in.

> ummm.... is this before "the talk" or after?
>
> nb

Before.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote

> Actually, servers (IMO) don't hate separate checks. It's easier to keep
> up with special orders on separate checks and really doesn't take any more
> effort to write on a separate check. Perhaps the difficulty comes in
> because young servers these days don't know how to do it. You start off
> at one point at the table and take orders clockwise, making a note on the
> check as to which check goes with which chair

Yup, gets a little hairy with a group of 20 or more, but I've not been
offended by 'who ordered (insert)' or a pile of checks at the table at the
end and sort out your own. Thinking work lunches for that, not super fancy
places. Olive garden or red lobster level sorts of level.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Jill <--was an excellent server in a previous life

And is now unemployable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 04:06:10 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Ron wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:35:12 +0200, ChattyCathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>> 2) If it included more expensive meals and drinks, we each tried to
>> estimate what our share was, including 20% tip, and toss in a couple
>> of more dollars just for good measure. (The waiters loved to see us
>> coming).
>>

>What's to "estimate"? You can plainly see by reading the menu your surf &
>turf cost $32.95 as opposed to the $10 Cobb Salad ordered by the person
>sitting next to you.

Yes, but the menu isn't there when you finish your meal. You've got
pretty good idea of what your meal was, but not much of an idea what
everybody else ordered. But, in the grand scheme of things I guess it
really doesn't matter as long as the check is covered and there is a
decent tip.

>> The whole idea is to try to keep from having the wait staff try to
>> write separate checks for each person. (They hate that).
>>
>> Ron Kelley

>Actually, servers (IMO) don't hate separate checks. It's easier to keep up
>with special orders on separate checks and really doesn't take any more
>effort to write on a separate check. Perhaps the difficulty comes in
>because young servers these days don't know how to do it. You start off at
>one point at the table and take orders clockwise, making a note on the check
>as to which check goes with which chair

I always thought the difficulty was keeping the separate checks lined
up with the correct person and what they ordered. And at the end of
the meal, getting the checks and change back to the correct person.
But then, I've never been a waiter so maybe not all of them hate
separate checks. I defer to the more knowledgeable source. :-)

Ron Kelley

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" wrote
>
>> Actually, servers (IMO) don't hate separate checks. It's easier to keep
>> up with special orders on separate checks and really doesn't take any
>> more effort to write on a separate check. Perhaps the difficulty comes
>> in because young servers these days don't know how to do it. You start
>> off at one point at the table and take orders clockwise, making a note on
>> the check as to which check goes with which chair

> Yup, gets a little hairy with a group of 20 or more, but I've not been
> offended by 'who ordered (insert)' or a pile of checks at the table at the
> end and sort out your own. Thinking work lunches for that, not super
> fancy places. Olive garden or red lobster level sorts of level.

No way Red Lobster is as Lame as Olive Garden. Is it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 22 Jun 2008 09:32:44p, Mike told us...

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> "jmcquown" wrote
>>
>>> Actually, servers (IMO) don't hate separate checks. It's easier to
>>> keep up with special orders on separate checks and really doesn't take
>>> any more effort to write on a separate check. Perhaps the difficulty
>>> comes in because young servers these days don't know how to do it.
>>> You start off at one point at the table and take orders clockwise,
>>> making a note on the check as to which check goes with which chair

>> Yup, gets a little hairy with a group of 20 or more, but I've not been
>> offended by 'who ordered (insert)' or a pile of checks at the table at
>> the end and sort out your own. Thinking work lunches for that, not
>> super fancy places. Olive garden or red lobster level sorts of level.
>>

> No way Red Lobster is as Lame as Olive Garden. Is it?

I've benn to good and bad of both. It varies greatly with the individual
stores and the quality of their management.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Mike" > wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message

> > fancy places. Olive garden or red lobster level sorts of level.
> >

> No way Red Lobster is as Lame as Olive Garden. Is it?

What's the difference? Have you ever noticed that they are usually
right next to each other? That they are owned by the same company?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" wrote
> "Mike" wrote:
>> "cshenk" wrote in message

>> > fancy places. Olive garden or red lobster level sorts of level.

Grin, accidental truncation there but I didnt actually say either of those
were fancy places, but something like 'not super fancy places'.

>> No way Red Lobster is as Lame as Olive Garden. Is it?

> What's the difference? Have you ever noticed that they are usually
> right next to each other? That they are owned by the same company?

I didnt realize they were owned by the same. I do know they are franchise
places (though some may be company owned too). Their quality is highly
related to the actual management of that store. For example, one of the
RL's near my work place is actually pretty good, while the one near my house
is 'not very good'. There's a Chili's by the base that terrible but the one
near my house is quite good.

I've seldom been to olive garden outside of the work luncheon. The one I've
been to is comparable to the RL a block or so away with better salads and
not so good entrees. So if the group is a salad mode, it's OG and if into
'just geneal seafood' it's RL.

2008 new year,2008 new business, 2008 new life, much cheap and beautiful product will help you which r u like ? [email protected] General Cooking 0 28-01-2008 04:50 PM
2008 new year,2008 new business, 2008 new life, much cheap andbeautiful product will help you [email protected] General Cooking 0 07-01-2008 04:57 PM
Splitting Brian Sourdough 2 05-07-2007 08:18 PM
splitting wood kurtk Barbecue 11 25-12-2005 05:54 AM
splitting vines? John Knapp Winemaking 1 14-07-2005 08:10 PM