Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kurtk

Default splitting wood

Hi,

I'm trying to determine if hardwoods such as oak, pecan...etc. should be
split when green or seasoned for a period of time?

I have been splitting some nice oak and have noticed that the core was still
moist. How long should this split wood set before being sacrificed in the
smoker?

Kurt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 04:03:39 GMT, "kurtk" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to determine if hardwoods such as oak, pecan...etc. should be
>split when green or seasoned for a period of time?

Think about this a minute. Which do you think splits more easily? Dry,
seasoned wood or moist, green wood?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

"kurtk" > wrote in message
et...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to determine if hardwoods such as oak, pecan...etc. should be
> split when green or seasoned for a period of time?
>
> I have been splitting some nice oak and have noticed that the core was
> still moist. How long should this split wood set before being sacrificed
> in the smoker?
>
> Kurt

Spilt when you want to. The easiest is when the logs are frozen. Dries
faster when split smaller. How long is should dry is a mater of preference
and the fire making abilities of the cook. Dry burns easier and is less
likely to produce creosote though.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:13:14 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 04:34:44 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
>wrote:
>
>>Spilt when you want to. The easiest is when the logs are frozen.

>You'll just use any 'ol excuse to brag about the weather there.
>Not all of us can freeze our wood first, thank you anyway.

DING! DING! DING!

Come on down and join the Geezer Club, Wertz! Took you all of three or
four days to get around to contributing to the irrelevance of AFB.

<snork> Weather.

Isn't there a group for you and the rest of 'em?
<alt.boring.myself.and.everyone.around.me.to.tears .with.moronic.talk.about.the.weather.DOT.COM.>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
kilikini

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:13:14 -0600, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 04:34:44 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Spilt when you want to. The easiest is when the logs are frozen.

> >You'll just use any 'ol excuse to brag about the weather there.
> >Not all of us can freeze our wood first, thank you anyway.

> DING! DING! DING!
>
> Come on down and join the Geezer Club, Wertz! Took you all of three or
> four days to get around to contributing to the irrelevance of AFB.
>
> <snork> Weather.
>
> Isn't there a group for you and the rest of 'em?

<alt.boring.myself.and.everyone.around.me.to.tears .with.moronic.talk.about.t
he.weather.DOT.COM.>

Okay, Kev, I'm biting......... why'd you keep asking Brick, a few posts
back, about the weather where he is? He lives in Florida! It's been close
to 70 degrees here. Granted, it's not as warm as Maui, but it's GOT to be
warmer than Idaho.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

well...let me tell you how my granddaddy did it.

Come about spring, he would go walking in the woods. While there, he
would choose a coupla nice trees, as well as look for any deadfalls.
Once he picked out the trees and marked them, he and my uncles would go
back and cut the trees down. Where they were cut, they would lie. Come
fall, he and my uncles would go back, trim off the small branches, and
use the tractor to haul the trunks down by the barn. There, the wood
would be cut into logs, then split and stacked. (my granddaddy and
uncles would do the cuttin and splittin, and us younguns would be in
charge of the stackin) This gave enough wood to get everyone in the
family who used wood heat thru the winter. Come spring, any leftovers
would be moved inside the barn, and come fall they would be split up
for kindling.

Reminiscing aside, hardwoods split better when allowed to season for a
little while. However, you must remember that hardwoods are dense, so
some of the heart wood, espically in red oak, tends to retain a little
moisture. If left for about a fortnight in dry, airy conditions, the
oak will fully dry, allowing for a nice smoke with a little less
retained ash than some other hardwoods. (no, we don't have a fallen oak
tree that I'm cutting up and using for heat this winter :P )

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"kilikini" > wrote:
> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> > Steve Wertz > wrote:

> > >You'll just use any 'ol excuse to brag about the weather there.
> > >Not all of us can freeze our wood first, thank you anyway.

> > DING! DING! DING!
> >
> > Come on down and join the Geezer Club, Wertz! Took you all of three or
> > four days to get around to contributing to the irrelevance of AFB.
> >
> > <snork> Weather.
> >
> > Isn't there a group for you and the rest of 'em?
> >

> <alt.boring.myself.and.everyone.around.me.to.tears .with.moronic.talk.abou
> t.t he.weather.DOT.COM.>
> >

> Okay, Kev, I'm biting......... why'd you keep asking Brick, a few posts
> back, about the weather where he is? He lives in Florida! It's been
> close to 70 degrees here. Granted, it's not as warm as Maui, but it's
> GOT to be warmer than Idaho.

Kevvie puts a chill in the air wherever he is, kili. ;-(

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Krueger

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 04:03:39 GMT, "kurtk" > wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm trying to determine if hardwoods such as oak, pecan...etc. should be
>>split when green or seasoned for a period of time?

> Think about this a minute. Which do you think splits more easily? Dry,
> seasoned wood or moist, green wood?

Was that the question? No, I read it again to be sure but I got it the
first time. OK, Kevin, try really hard to understand that the question
was "when", not "more easily? <sic>".
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

On 22 Dec 2005 00:15:26 GMT, wrote:

>"kilikini" > wrote:

>> > DING! DING! DING!
>> >
>> > Come on down and join the Geezer Club, Wertz! Took you all of three or
>> > four days to get around to contributing to the irrelevance of AFB.
>> >
>> > <snork> Weather.
>> >
>> > Isn't there a group for you and the rest of 'em?
>> >

>> <alt.boring.myself.and.everyone.around.me.to.tears .with.moronic.talk.abou
>> t.t he.weather.DOT.COM.>
>> >

>> Okay, Kev, I'm biting......... why'd you keep asking Brick, a few posts
>> back, about the weather where he is? He lives in Florida! It's been
>> close to 70 degrees here. Granted, it's not as warm as Maui, but it's
>> GOT to be warmer than Idaho.
>>

>Kevvie puts a chill in the air wherever he is, kili. ;-(

Yet you just cannot stop thinking about me, can you?

PS: I can understand why you feel compelled to use smilies instead of
getting your point across in simple English. Writing is HARD! Have you
found a smilie yet that means "I've once again said something
incredibly boring and irrelevant?" If not, you should probably keep
looking. When you find it, I recommend mapping it to a keyboard
shortcut; otherwise, carpal tunnel.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
TFM®

Dan Krueger wrote:
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 04:03:39 GMT, "kurtk" > wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to determine if hardwoods such as oak, pecan...etc. should
>>> be split when green or seasoned for a period of time?

>> Think about this a minute. Which do you think splits more easily? Dry,
>> seasoned wood or moist, green wood?
>>

> Was that the question? No, I read it again to be sure but I got it the
> first time. OK, Kevin, try really hard to understand that the question
> was "when", not "more easily? <sic>".

It don't make a ****'s worth of difference when you split wood you dumb
shit.

What matters is when you burn it.

Judging from your question it won't make any difference to you anyway.

--
TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
TFM®

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:

> Isn't there a group for you and the rest of 'em?

Yeah Biatch! This is it! Welcome aboard!

Get yer britches off and get yer ass in the galley. We're having
stuffed Wilson for dinner tonight.

--
TFM®

(2008-06-19) NS-RFC: Splitting the check... ChattyCathy General Cooking 33 24-06-2008 05:00 PM
Splitting Brian Sourdough 2 05-07-2007 08:18 PM
splitting vines? John Knapp Winemaking 1 14-07-2005 08:10 PM
Splitting a Pork Shoulder Kevin B Barbecue 10 05-02-2005 02:17 AM
Cream Splitting? gary General 0 04-05-2004 07:07 PM