billb

Default how do they sort yests in the

manufacturing plant? I would think that with all the yeasts out there that
such would be an impossible task, so how do they do it?

--
billb
Every man has his price except the honest man. You get him for nothing.

Ray Calvert

They do not sort them. They grow them separately in sterile environments.
For them, sterile means sterile, not like use where sterile really means
clean. If they ever let strains mix, they are ruined.

Ray

"billb" > wrote in message
> manufacturing plant? I would think that with all the yeasts out there
> that
> such would be an impossible task, so how do they do it?
>
> --
> billb
> Every man has his price except the honest man. You get him for nothing.
> Welcome to the American nation, AKA the abomination.

billb

how do they tell them apart? microscope?

--
billb

Ray Calvert

You really seem interested. I would suggest you go to the web size of
several of the yeast producers. Several of them have a lot of information
on there site. I have enjoyed reading it in the past.

Ray

"billb" > wrote in message
.. .
> how do they tell them apart? microscope?
>
> --
> billb

JEP62

billb wrote:
> how do they tell them apart? microscope?
>
> --
> billb

I think they separate them by streaking plates. When they isolate a
specific strain, they will use a microscope and/or streaking to make
sure it remains pure.

There are some beer yeasts that are reported to be a mixture of
strains, but I think all of the wine yeasts are single strains.

Andy

Cllr Andrea Collins

"Ray Calvert"

said...
> You really seem interested. I would suggest you go to the web size of
> several of the yeast producers. Several of them have a lot of information
> on there site. I have enjoyed reading it in the past.
>
> Ray
>
> "billb" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> how do they tell them apart? microscope?
>>
>> --
>> billb

Yes I got that impression! I don't know if you can buy Gervin branded yeasts
in the USA but Gerry Fowles, who developed these(or at least started
marketing them) some years ago, lives locally to me and, although now
getting on a bit, is happy to share his knowledge. He used to be a chemistry
don at Reading University and then became, I think, Profesor of Oenology in
the Food Sciences Department. Don't think he's on the web, though!

But it is interesting - I've made some white wines from fuit juices recently
and I am fascinated by the way different yeasts work - white wine yeasts, as
noticed, seem to be slower, and even there, the different strains seem to
have different fermentation patterns and throw very different kinds of
sediment.

Not that I'm an anorak, or have nothing else to do ut watch the bubbles, of
course....

Cheers,

Andrea

Joe Sallustio

Funny you mentioned that, I started an India Pale Ale with Safale yeast
that was one month out of date on Sunday night. I figured it was still
good but might ferment a little on the slow side since it was older and
shipped around the world, I'm in the US. I have never in my life seen
such a violent, healthy fermentation. It looked like I was still
boiling the batch, it was something to see. I have three more packets
and won't be throwing them away any time soon.

Joe

> But it is interesting - I've made some white wines from fuit juices recently
> and I am fascinated by the way different yeasts work - white wine yeasts, as
> noticed, seem to be slower, and even there, the different strains seem to
> have different fermentation patterns and throw very different kinds of
> sediment.
>
> Not that I'm an anorak, or have nothing else to do ut watch the bubbles, of
> course....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrea

JEP62

Joe Sallustio wrote:
> Funny you mentioned that, I started an India Pale Ale with Safale yeast
> that was one month out of date on Sunday night. I figured it was still
> good but might ferment a little on the slow side since it was older and
> shipped around the world, I'm in the US. I have never in my life seen
> such a violent, healthy fermentation. It looked like I was still
> boiling the batch, it was something to see. I have three more packets
> and won't be throwing them away any time soon.
>
> Joe

Hi Joe,

Safale SO4 is a very strong yeast. I find it difficult to harm. I use
it in most of my American Pale Ales because it ferments out in a couple
of days and leaves some fruity notes that I find match the citrus notes
of Cascade hops. It also has pretty good alcohol tollerence (if you
brew barley wines, etc.).

I usually keep a couple of packets in the fridge for emergencies too.

Andy

Cllr Andrea Collins

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Funny you mentioned that, I started an India Pale Ale with Safale yeast
> that was one month out of date on Sunday night. I figured it was still
> good but might ferment a little on the slow side since it was older and
> shipped around the world, I'm in the US. I have never in my life seen
> such a violent, healthy fermentation. It looked like I was still
> boiling the batch, it was something to see. I have three more packets
> and won't be throwing them away any time soon.
>
> Joe

Aha!

I was given some nice, clean demijohns from friends and decided to test a
VERY out-of-date gold label yeast. (2 years) About 3 people mentioned "tea
wine" to me and I thought, well, half a packet of tea and some sugar - what
have I got to lose? So I mixed the yeast with some sugar and warm water,
went shopping and when I came back, yes the yeast was giving it what-for. So
I made some tea wine. I have NO IDEA what it's supposed to taste like but it
was made in early April and still having bubbles. I was a bit concerned so
telephoned the lovely Gerry Fowles (who must be , er, quite old by now) and
he was great- said " it's always worth giving it a go"...so DON'T BIN THOSE
YEASTS!

PS Mulberries. We have a mulberry tree in our brilliant municipal park (it's
jsut been restored, the park I mean). So I was thinking of getting together
with Friends of the Earth to do a winemaking publicity thing - you know,
collect the mulberries, give out some flyers saying "Count your wine miles!"
and generally raise awareness that there are other ways to enjoy good wine.
Does anyone have experience with mulberries? I think that here (southern UK)
they ripen mid-August but I suspect they don't do it all at once. Can
anyone advise? And, any views on "wine miles"?

Thank you and hope you are all well....

Andrea

PS I don't do (ie make it) beer but I am jealous of your Pale Ale, sounds
great!

Ray Calvert

You bring back memories. My grandparents had 6 large mulberry trees that I
climbed in and ate mulberries as a kid. They are long gone and I have no
access to them or any other mulberries now sow I have never made mulberry
wine. I am sure they will make good wine but they are very mild so may need
adjustment than other fruit. Anyway, Jack Keller has several recipes for
mulberry wine and he comments on how to adjust the basic fruit. Try
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request135.asp

> Aha!
>
> I was given some nice, clean demijohns from friends and decided to test a
> VERY out-of-date gold label yeast. (2 years) About 3 people mentioned "tea
> wine" to me and I thought, well, half a packet of tea and some sugar -
> what have I got to lose? So I mixed the yeast with some sugar and warm
> water, went shopping and when I came back, yes the yeast was giving it
> what-for. So I made some tea wine. I have NO IDEA what it's supposed to
> taste like but it was made in early April and still having bubbles. I was
> a bit concerned so telephoned the lovely Gerry Fowles (who must be , er,
> quite old by now) and he was great- said " it's always worth giving it a
> go"...so DON'T BIN THOSE YEASTS!
>
> PS Mulberries. We have a mulberry tree in our brilliant municipal park
> (it's jsut been restored, the park I mean). So I was thinking of getting
> together with Friends of the Earth to do a winemaking publicity thing -
> you know, collect the mulberries, give out some flyers saying "Count your
> wine miles!" and generally raise awareness that there are other ways to
> enjoy good wine. Does anyone have experience with mulberries? I think that
> here (southern UK) they ripen mid-August but I suspect they don't do it
> all at once. Can anyone advise? And, any views on "wine miles"?
>
> Thank you and hope you are all well....
>
> Andrea
>
> PS I don't do (ie make it) beer but I am jealous of your Pale Ale, sounds
> great!

OT sort of A Moose in Love General Cooking 22 02-06-2012 11:12 AM
OT(sort of) [email protected] Barbecue 0 09-05-2006 04:02 PM
Sorry sort of Ol' Hippie Barbecue 5 31-12-2004 05:50 PM
OT sort-a Steve Calvin Barbecue 6 02-10-2004 02:24 AM