Default Any way to make good vinegar without wine

Hi,If no alcohlic drinks available, how to create good quality vinegar.
Thanks in advance

Ray Calvert

Vinegar is made by introducing "mother of vinegar" culture" to an alcohol
base where the right level of alcohol is present and the right nutrients are
available. The mother converts the alcohol to acetic acid or vinegar by
"acetic acid fermentation". You cannot make vinegar without making alcohol.
It may be possible to do the two simultaneously such that as fast as you
make alcohol the mother converts it to vinegar so you fool yourself into
thinking that you are not making alcohol but you would be making it and I
have never done it this way and do not know if it would work.

Ray

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,If no alcohlic drinks available, how to create good quality vinegar.
> Thanks in advance

Joe Sallustio

It's not possible, sorry. Good vinegar is made from the conversion of
alcohol to acetic acid as Ray mentioned. Well made vinegar can contain
no alcohol.

Joe

wrote:
> Hi,If no alcohlic drinks available, how to create good quality

vinegar.
> Thanks in advance

Joe Sallustio

wrote:
> Hi,If no alcohlic drinks available, how to create good quality

vinegar.
> Thanks in advance

Thanks Fred Meyering. Can you give a rough idea of temperature at
which you prepare this apple cider vinegar, for three months.
Few years back I was living at a hill station and my kitchen in summer
brimmed with apples, which usually rotted away. But I will try this
method now, if I know about the temp at which I should keep them. Is no
starter needed for this vinegar?

Joe Sallustio

Vinegar likes warm temperatures, 70 to 80 F is a good range. 65 is too
cold, 90 too warm.

I always use a starter, but you will know if what you are making is
acetic or spoiled by smell if you don't have one.

You may be able to get live vinegar at a health food store if you can't
find a starter. (You want something without preservatives that is
unpastuerized.) The 'clump' of cellulose most people call the mother
is not needed, live vinegar is all you need.

If you use a starter and want to expand it using wine at around 10 to
12% alcohol by volume, you use one part starter, one part water and two
parts wine.

You mix the water and wine first, shake it up, then add the starter.

Joe

I think live vinegar is an easier option, though not that easy, as
there are no health shops here. I shall try to find a Hakim. Hakim are
the tradational/herbal medicine man in India and pakistan. Vinegar was
prepared by them in olden days. Though I doubt they ever aged it. But
there are anecdotes about dark colored vinegars thick as honey. Now
some one inside the old city (walled city) may still be preparing the
vinegar.
Thanks.