Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default grape cover

For grapes to mature do they need contact with air and/or sun? or is
it leaf exposure that matures the grapes?

The question is intended so that I check whether I can protect the
grape clusters from pests without resorting
to pesticides or netting. Pests I figure are wasps and birds mainly.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

fishziblu wrote:

> For grapes to mature do they need contact with air and/or sun? or is
> it leaf exposure that matures the grapes?
>
> The question is intended so that I check whether I can protect the
> grape clusters from pests without resorting
> to pesticides or netting. Pests I figure are wasps and birds mainly.

It is the young leaves near the top of the canopy that are providing most of
the photosynthesis to ripen the grapes. The leaves near the clusters have
already shot their wad and are not contributing all that much. This is why
it is important to keep the young, top of the canopy leaves healthy. Some
quit spraying around verasion but I think it is important to care for the
upper canopy even after verasion.

Pests include BIRDS, ground hogs, RACCOONS and DEER.

Good luck trying to prevent bird dammage without netting. Of course, this
depends where your vineyard is located. If you do not have trees
surrounding your vineyard then perhaps all you have to worry about is
migratory birds, otherwise songbirds that roost in trees can wipe you out.
For all critters, the best protection is a physical barrier of some kind.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks.

Actually birds are the only problem.
Netting directly on the vines is a tedious task. Especially when it
comes to remove them.
I gather if you put them late in the season, there will be less stalk
growth that might get
intertwined with the net.

Maybe I should think about installing a canopy covering the whole
area.
Then again we'll see!!

Cheers