Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.gardens.edible

Default Marechal Foch Grapes Ripening

I live about 20 miles northeast of Baltimore, Maryland. We had record
cold and snow last winter and record heat with little rain this
summer, a very abnormal year for weather in every regard.

When I was out in the vineyard this evening, I noticed that the
Marechal Foch grapes were fairly along in the ripening process. I
thought this was unusual for July 28, so I checked my wine log from
last year and found that I harvested the Foch grapes on August 30 last
year. It will probably take them another couple of weeks to ripen
fully, but it still seems rather early.

Only the Foch are ripening; the Concords are still hard and green.

Any ideas of what's going on? Anyone have a similar situation in their
vineyards?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking,rec.gardens.edible

In article
Pavel314 > wrote:

> I live about 20 miles northeast of Baltimore, Maryland. We had record
> cold and snow last winter and record heat with little rain this
> summer, a very abnormal year for weather in every regard.
>
> When I was out in the vineyard this evening, I noticed that the
> Marechal Foch grapes were fairly along in the ripening process. I
> thought this was unusual for July 28, so I checked my wine log from
> last year and found that I harvested the Foch grapes on August 30 last
> year. It will probably take them another couple of weeks to ripen
> fully, but it still seems rather early.
>
> Only the Foch are ripening; the Concords are still hard and green.
>
> Any ideas of what's going on? Anyone have a similar situation in their
> vineyards?
>

> Paul

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...29523/1033/new
s?Title=Grape-harvest-lagging
Cool summer has vintners fretting about late harvest
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude

Ripening Foch Pavel314[_2_] Winemaking 1 27-07-2011 04:17 AM
TN: Many B+ wines - Bourgneuf, Pinon, Pepiere, and Marechal DaleW Wine 0 20-05-2006 03:12 AM
What to blend with Foch Herman Krug Winemaking 6 12-09-2005 10:33 PM
M Foch John Winemaking 2 08-06-2005 08:57 PM
marechal foch soil Jeff Chorniak Winemaking 2 10-06-2004 02:52 AM