Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Many B+ wines - Bourgneuf, Pinon, Pepiere, and Marechal

I just use grades as a form of shorthand. As noted in my disclaimer, I
make no claims of consistency. So grades from a big tasting show my
preferences within the evening, and a B+ from a wine that went up
against up A wines like '75 Evanglie or '78 Haut-Brion isn't
neccessarily the same as a B+ within a night of say Dry Creek Chenins.
Recently I wrote up this weeks wines (minus the incredible Tuesday),
and noted to myself with amusement that I gave all the wines a B+.

So here are 4 disparate wines, all with a B+ score, all worth buying in
my opinion:

With a Moroccan pork kebab (grilled with grapes!), carrot salad with
harissa, and brown rice, the 2004 Pinon "Cuvée Tradition" Vouvray.
Nice acidity, very food-friendly, with just a touch of appley
sweetness. A hint of wax, good citrus and apple fruit, chalky finish.
The Loire-heads have declared this one sub-standard, but not for my
tastes. Good though not great QPR. B+

With Betsy away in NC for concerts and recording, I did the best I
could:

2000 Catherine and Claude Marechal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne
This was one of the first wines I bought because of the internet, but I
drank through my stash couple years ago. On a whim I bought a few "Jean
Marechal Bourgogne" as case-fillers at Sokolin for $10 this spring.
Next day I berated myself ("dammit Dale, you know how much first names
mean in Burgundy!"), but imagine my delight when it turned out to be
the C & C Gravel! Nice funky/earthy Burgundy nose, bright red cherry
and raspberry fruit, clean finish. There's a note on the nose I can't
put my finger on, but I know it's associated with Betsy's gardening- I
think this is "bone meal", but I'm a gardening illiterate. Nice
balanced wine- good fruit, clean bright acidity, just enough fine
tannins to give structure. Hmmmm, what else do I need from Sokolin to
justify buying a couple more of these? Good match with some hamburgers
in a red wine and mushroom sauce. B+

2004 Pepiere (Marc Olivier) Muscadet
Minerals and citrus fruit, rocks and apples, chalk and lemon. I think
I've used all those before for this wine. Beautiful clean wine.
Shockingly good match with some San Daniele proscuitto. B+, but like
the Marechal a solid A for value.

2001 Bourgneuf (Pomerol)
Red plum fruit, a little cassis, ripe tannins and a little
herbaceousness on nose. The herb notes morph into smoke & spice.
Medium bodied, lacking the textural lushness of a great Pomerol, but
this is pretty good for $20. Good match with rosemaried-grilled lamb
chops and squash. B+