Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default looking for juice recipies

old orchard 100% juice was on sale the other day and I was thinkking
of making a plonk. then someone offered some grapes, although not
enough for a big batch, so I am considering making a batch part fruit,
part juice. someone got a conversion table to determine how much juice
equals how much fruit?. I.E. I have maybe 10 pounds of fruit and want
to add juice to make a 6 gallon batch...
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Old Orchard's web site says 8oz is considered one serving. If you
DAGS one serving of fruit is a cup or 8oz of real fruit.

I suppose with that and Keller's recipes I would base a recipe on a
one for one by volume for wine, ie. one gallon of juice to make one
gallon of wine. Of course the SG, acids, tannis, etc should be
adjusted for winemaking.

http://www.oldorchardjuice.com/juicefacts.htm

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request116.asp

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request200.asp

http://www.joyofwine.net/wine101.htm

HTH

Steve
Oregon

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:57:37 -0800 (PST), Tater >
wrote:

>old orchard 100% juice was on sale the other day and I was thinkking
>of making a plonk. then someone offered some grapes, although not
>enough for a big batch, so I am considering making a batch part fruit,
>part juice. someone got a conversion table to determine how much juice
>equals how much fruit?. I.E. I have maybe 10 pounds of fruit and want
>to add juice to make a 6 gallon batch...

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 19, 4:57*pm, Tater > wrote:
> old orchard 100% juice was on sale the other day and I was thinkking
> of making a plonk. then someone offered some grapes, although not
> enough for a big batch, so I am considering making a batch part fruit,
> part juice. someone got a conversion table to determine how much juice
> equals how much fruit?. I.E. I have maybe 10 pounds of fruit and want
> to add juice to make a 6 gallon batch...

You will get somewhat less than a gallon of pressed juice from 10 lbs.
of grapes - probably around 3 quarts. I think 12 - 15 lbs. is usually
expected to yield a gallon (depending on the grapes).

Stephen
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article
Tater > wrote:

> old orchard 100% juice was on sale the other day and I was thinkking
> of making a plonk. then someone offered some grapes, although not
> enough for a big batch, so I am considering making a batch part fruit,
> part juice. someone got a conversion table to determine how much juice
> equals how much fruit?. I.E. I have maybe 10 pounds of fruit and want
> to add juice to make a 6 gallon batch...

What fruit. What juice? Why plonk?

A ton (2000 lbs) of grapes can give 180 gallons of juice (max).

The grapes are about 80% H2O, and 25% sugar.

You may want to consult http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
to adjust your juice/pulp ratio.

Only red style wines are fermented with the fruit, and that is for color
and flavor extraction from the skins. White wines are fermented with
only the juice.

If you want extraction from the fruit, you should crush it first.
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jan 10, 12:30*pm, Wildbilly > wrote:
> In article

I will make wine of old orchard and it depends how much flavor you
want. The minimum for a light wine would be two cans of concertrate
to make a gallon. Fruit has a mimimum of three pounds to a gallon of
wine. You can do 4 or more pounds if you want.(except for cranberry
and currant which would be 4 pounds max) I've never done more than
two cans of concentrate juice to to make wine. You need to watch out
for High Frutrose Corn Syrup (sugar substitute). It doesn't forment
very well and can leave a bad odro in your wine. If you run into
that, like with Ocean Spray juices, then dilute it by double (a gallon
of juice will make two and add three pounds of sugar or figure your
own Brix).

Tom