Pete

Default Cool or Warm Ferment for Chardonnay?

The Chardonnay I made last year was a straight "steel" type.
In my beer fridge at 58°F
Rather fruity and dry.

This year I would like to go for the buttery oak type.

I plan on pressing my own grapes, then barrel fermenting it.
Then Malo with lees stirring.

Won't I need to ferment this one warm?
I have a 65~70° F basement for the barrel.
This is a new american oak barrel, so after fermentation I will age in
steel and glass. (maybe add oak chunks if it needs it)

Then re-fill the barrel with a cabernet.
Tom S

"Pete" > wrote in message
m...
> The Chardonnay I made last year was a straight "steel" type.
> In my beer fridge at 58°F
> Rather fruity and dry.
>
> This year I would like to go for the buttery oak type.
>
> I plan on pressing my own grapes, then barrel fermenting it.
> Then Malo with lees stirring.
>
> Won't I need to ferment this one warm?
> I have a 65~70° F basement for the barrel.
> This is a new american oak barrel, so after fermentation I will age in
> steel and glass. (maybe add oak chunks if it needs it)
>
> Then re-fill the barrel with a cabernet.

I recommend a cool barrel fermentation for Chardonnay so as to preserve the
fruit. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend American oak for Chardonnay -
but hey, it's _your_ wine.

You could get close to a French oak barrel fermentation by adding French oak
chips to a carboy/keg and leaving it on the lees. I've done that and it's
pretty nice. Not the same as a barrel, but pretty good anyway.

Tom S

Tom S

"Pete" > wrote in message
m...
> The Chardonnay I made last year was a straight "steel" type.
> In my beer fridge at 58°F
> Rather fruity and dry.
>
> This year I would like to go for the buttery oak type.
>
> I plan on pressing my own grapes, then barrel fermenting it.
> Then Malo with lees stirring.
>
> Won't I need to ferment this one warm?
> I have a 65~70° F basement for the barrel.
> This is a new american oak barrel, so after fermentation I will age in
> steel and glass. (maybe add oak chunks if it needs it)
>
> Then re-fill the barrel with a cabernet.

I recommend a cool barrel fermentation for Chardonnay so as to preserve the
fruit. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend American oak for Chardonnay -
but hey, it's _your_ wine.

You could get close to a French oak barrel fermentation by adding French oak
chips to a carboy/keg and leaving it on the lees. I've done that and it's
pretty nice. Not the same as a barrel, but pretty good anyway.

Tom S

Aaron Puhala

Just remember that your ML fermentation will not progress to completion (if
at all) under the cool conditions (58F) you described. The ML will need
warmer temps to finish.

"Pete" > wrote in message
m...
> The Chardonnay I made last year was a straight "steel" type.
> In my beer fridge at 58°F
> Rather fruity and dry.
>
> This year I would like to go for the buttery oak type.
>
> I plan on pressing my own grapes, then barrel fermenting it.
> Then Malo with lees stirring.
>
> Won't I need to ferment this one warm?
> I have a 65~70° F basement for the barrel.
> This is a new american oak barrel, so after fermentation I will age in
> steel and glass. (maybe add oak chunks if it needs it)
>
> Then re-fill the barrel with a cabernet.

Aaron Puhala

Just remember that your ML fermentation will not progress to completion (if
at all) under the cool conditions (58F) you described. The ML will need
warmer temps to finish.

"Pete" > wrote in message
m...
> The Chardonnay I made last year was a straight "steel" type.
> In my beer fridge at 58°F
> Rather fruity and dry.
>
> This year I would like to go for the buttery oak type.
>
> I plan on pressing my own grapes, then barrel fermenting it.
> Then Malo with lees stirring.
>
> Won't I need to ferment this one warm?
> I have a 65~70° F basement for the barrel.
> This is a new american oak barrel, so after fermentation I will age in
> steel and glass. (maybe add oak chunks if it needs it)
>
> Then re-fill the barrel with a cabernet.

Pete

I don't have the funds for a barrel anyway.. I bought a crusher/destemmer this year.

I ordered some french oak beans instead.

Would a cool ferment prevent the Malo culture from working?

"Tom S" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Pete" > wrote in message
> m...
> > The Chardonnay I made last year was a straight "steel" type.
> > In my beer fridge at 58°F
> > Rather fruity and dry.
> >
> > This year I would like to go for the buttery oak type.
> >
> > I plan on pressing my own grapes, then barrel fermenting it.
> > Then Malo with lees stirring.
> >
> > Won't I need to ferment this one warm?
> > I have a 65~70° F basement for the barrel.
> > This is a new american oak barrel, so after fermentation I will age in
> > steel and glass. (maybe add oak chunks if it needs it)
> >
> > Then re-fill the barrel with a cabernet.

> I recommend a cool barrel fermentation for Chardonnay so as to preserve the
> fruit. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend American oak for Chardonnay -
> but hey, it's _your_ wine.
>
> You could get close to a French oak barrel fermentation by adding French oak
> chips to a carboy/keg and leaving it on the lees. I've done that and it's
> pretty nice. Not the same as a barrel, but pretty good anyway.
>
> Tom S

Pete

ferment dry? k-dawg Winemaking 2 02-02-2006 10:52 AM
In the cool, cool, cool of the evening Melba's Jammin' Preserving 14 08-07-2004 02:44 PM
Cool Kit Ferment Dan Emerson Winemaking 3 16-04-2004 02:21 PM
Racking an Active Cool Ferment White steve small Winemaking 3 19-03-2004 12:10 AM
Pre-Ferment? Brian Mailman Sourdough 2 07-12-2003 06:14 PM