steve small

Default Racking an Active Cool Ferment White

Hi folks,
I have a couple of whites which are undergoing a long slow cool
fermentation. My questions is how long should I leave them before a first
racking off the lees? I don't have the numbers at hand, but say it has been
fermenting for 3 weeks - is still very active and is only at SG 1.030. Do I
leave the wine on the gross lees that have accumulated, - which aren't very
gross since it was nice clear juice - until it is dry before racking or
should I be doing a mid-ferment racking to get it off the lees that have
been created.

We shall assume that I do not want to do any lees stirring - given I am
working with a Gewurz and a French Colombard.

David C Breeden

steve small ) wrote:
>Hi folks,
>I have a couple of whites which are undergoing a long slow cool
>fermentation. My questions is how long should I leave them before a first
>racking off the lees? I don't have the numbers at hand, but say it has been
>fermenting for 3 weeks - is still very active and is only at SG 1.030. Do I
>leave the wine on the gross lees that have accumulated, - which aren't very
>gross since it was nice clear juice - until it is dry before racking or
>should I be doing a mid-ferment racking to get it off the lees that have
>been created.

>We shall assume that I do not want to do any lees stirring - given I am
>working with a Gewurz and a French Colombard.

There's no rush. I've fermented aromatic whites (riesling, gewurz)
for as long as 4 or 5 weeks, and them left them on the lees for a
few months after that. You just need to, once they're finished
fermenting, keep tasting them to make sure they don't go south on
you.

Dave
Dave Breeden
LG1111

This year I fermented cool, at 55 degrees 2 batches. A viognier and a pinot
gris. Both took about 8 weeks to get to dryness. At that point, they were
incredibly fruity and full flavored. In fact, they taste "sweet" to me, and if
the SG weren't at .992, I'd swear they weren't finished.

Good luck. I think I'll do this with all of my whites in the future.

Lee
steve small

"LG1111" > wrote in message
> This year I fermented cool, at 55 degrees 2 batches. A viognier and a

pinot
> gris. Both took about 8 weeks to get to dryness. At that point, they

were
> incredibly fruity and full flavored. In fact, they taste "sweet" to me,

and if
> the SG weren't at .992, I'd swear they weren't finished.
>
> Good luck. I think I'll do this with all of my whites in the future.
>
> Lee

First off thanks to all for the quick replies.

I have to agree with you Lee, this was my first year working white from
grapes and I did a Pinot Gris as well. It is exactly as you described both
fruity and full flavored - it absolutely tastes sweet to me, but the SG is
..997 or so. Infact I brought in 1 gallon of it to a warmer spot to see if I
could get renewed activity (no). I have even now bottled that 1 gallon -
because experience has shown me that the best way to get a re-ferment
happening is to bottle the wine! I haven't been able to get a clinitest kit
to check for residual sugar. For reference I used Lalvin D-47 yeast and I
also lyzosomed the Pgris after the ferment appeared to finish to prevent
ML. This wine has fallen crystal clear in the carboy in 5 months.

Unfortunately the Gewurz has gone a little off on me - but not due to
sitting on the lees, rather I think because I wasn't ruthless about getting
the clear juice of the sediment after pressing the grapes. It isn't that
bad, but sampling it after testing the fruity Pinot Gris it just doesn't
compare.

The reason I asked the question is that I bought about 200L of various white
juices at the Spagnols sale and they are now 2-4 weeks into fermentation.

steve

Dry Active Yeast Frank103 Baking 9 11-11-2006 01:03 AM
Hard Tannins & Racking off Seeds During Ferment Darin Young Winemaking 3 19-09-2005 05:55 AM
Cool or Warm Ferment for Chardonnay? Pete Winemaking 6 10-09-2004 01:33 PM
In the cool, cool, cool of the evening Melba's Jammin' Preserving 14 08-07-2004 02:44 PM
Cool Kit Ferment Dan Emerson Winemaking 3 16-04-2004 02:21 PM