bob

Default White wine and C02 gas

A while back I posted about my chardonnay having a grapefruit like
taste and wondered if it would go away. I had many encouraging posts
saying it would dissappear eventually. Since then, I think I have
discovered that the sour taste and smell was C02. I was worried at the
time that the wine had oxidized even though the wine hadn't changed
color and the miniscus was clear when held up to light. My real
questions now are considering I have a variable capacity tank which
still contains wine LOADED with C02, Is it bad to have the C02 in the
wine too long? Does the C02 prevent oxidation? Will the C02 effect the
sensory qualities if left in too long? An old post suggested stirring
the wine 3 times for intervals of 15 min right after fermentation is
done because the wine would be less susceptible to oxidation. Is there
any harm in stirring it now 7 months after fermentation completed and
what are the risks? THe tank has a large opening like any other VC
tank so will stirring cause oxidation? How susceptiple is wine loaded
with C02 to oxidation. I thought the conventional wisdom was that as
long as there was C02 in the wine the wine would be resistant to
oxidation. Is that true? Any thoughts?

TIA,

Bob

White wine...TCA R P Wine 22 28-09-2008 08:29 PM
A red wine for a white-wine drinker Felice General Cooking 0 07-06-2008 07:02 PM
A red wine for a white-wine drinker? Felice General Cooking 16 07-06-2008 12:41 PM
White wine & oak questions Vincent Wine 31 12-12-2004 06:13 AM
white wine with....?? fire Wine 8 10-11-2004 01:34 AM