Joe Ae

Default baco noir wine

Last fall I made a batch of baco noir. The grapes were in very good
condition but the TA was high. The only any acid reduction I did was mlf and
cold stabilization. The wine has sat in 54L DJs (racked twice) with a
little oak and now I bottled a few for tasting. The wine is clear and has a
good colour (dark and full-bodied) but the taste isn't very exciting also
after the wine sits in the glass for 15 minutes it seems to acquire a sour
aftertaste.
Is this all there is to baco noir or did I mess by not balancing the acid
when I started? What can I do now with the other 2 DJs? Can I add more oak
and age for another 6 months?

thanks

Joe

William Frazier

Joe - What were the starting numbers for the Baco juice before fermentation
and what is the pH and %TA for the wine now? I grow Baco and have made wine
from this grape for 6 years and have some thoughts on how to make wine from
it.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Joe Ae" > wrote in message
. ..
> Last fall I made a batch of baco noir. The grapes were in very good
> condition but the TA was high. The only any acid reduction I did was mlf

and
> cold stabilization. The wine has sat in 54L DJs (racked twice) with a
> little oak and now I bottled a few for tasting. The wine is clear and has

> good colour (dark and full-bodied) but the taste isn't very exciting also
> after the wine sits in the glass for 15 minutes it seems to acquire a sour
> aftertaste.
> Is this all there is to baco noir or did I mess by not balancing the acid
> when I started? What can I do now with the other 2 DJs? Can I add more

oak
> and age for another 6 months?
>
> thanks
>
> Joe

Joe Ae

Hi Bill

The juice readings we TA : 1.42%, Brix : 19.5 adjusted to 22

I don't have a ph meter. I am not confident of the TA reading of the
finished wine but I am guessing it is around 0.9%.

Joe

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
> Joe - What were the starting numbers for the Baco juice before

fermentation
> and what is the pH and %TA for the wine now? I grow Baco and have made

wine
> from this grape for 6 years and have some thoughts on how to make wine

from
> it.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA
>
> "Joe Ae" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Last fall I made a batch of baco noir. The grapes were in very good
> > condition but the TA was high. The only any acid reduction I did was mlf

> and
> > cold stabilization. The wine has sat in 54L DJs (racked twice) with a
> > little oak and now I bottled a few for tasting. The wine is clear and

has
> > good colour (dark and full-bodied) but the taste isn't very exciting

also
> > after the wine sits in the glass for 15 minutes it seems to acquire a

sour
> > aftertaste.
> > Is this all there is to baco noir or did I mess by not balancing the

acid
> > when I started? What can I do now with the other 2 DJs? Can I add more

> oak
> > and age for another 6 months?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Joe

William Frazier

Joe -
We really need to know the pH and TA of your remaining wine to make any
recommendations. If you can get good numbers for the remaining wine we can
discuss how to adjust. I suspect the acid is still high. There are several
ways to lower TA and I've tried most of them with success so there is hope
for your remaining wine. The easiest method is to add K bicarbonate. When I
do this I hang a pH probe in the bulk wine. Calculate the theoretical
amount of K bicarb. to add. Then I add this amount slowly while watching pH
rise. With Baco it's tricky because the wine will turn brown if pH gets
much above 3.6.

You say you have two 55L DJs of wine left. With this volume of wine you can
really improve Baco by putting the wine in a barrel. I age my Baco in a
Gibbs Brothers 10 gallon barrel and it really helps the wine. Builds body
and adds a real red wine flavor. The oak barrel treatment will really help
this wine if you can go that route.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Joe Ae" > wrote in message
> The juice readings we TA : 1.42%, Brix : 19.5 adjusted to 22
> I don't have a ph meter. I am not confident of the TA reading of the
> finished wine but I am guessing it is around 0.9%.

William Frazier

"Joe Ae" > wrote in message
> The juice readings we TA : 1.42%, Brix : 19.5 adjusted to 22
> I don't have a ph meter. I am not confident of the TA reading of the
> finished wine but I am guessing it is around 0.9%.

Joe Ae

Thanks for the suggestions Bill.
I will try lowering the acid a bit. I will shop around for a PH meter and
Oak barrel. They have been on my shopping list for a while.

Joe

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
> Joe -
> We really need to know the pH and TA of your remaining wine to make any
> recommendations. If you can get good numbers for the remaining wine we

can
> discuss how to adjust. I suspect the acid is still high. There are

several
> ways to lower TA and I've tried most of them with success so there is hope
> for your remaining wine. The easiest method is to add K bicarbonate. When

> do this I hang a pH probe in the bulk wine. Calculate the theoretical
> amount of K bicarb. to add. Then I add this amount slowly while watching

pH
> rise. With Baco it's tricky because the wine will turn brown if pH gets
> much above 3.6.
>
> You say you have two 55L DJs of wine left. With this volume of wine you

can
> really improve Baco by putting the wine in a barrel. I age my Baco in a
> Gibbs Brothers 10 gallon barrel and it really helps the wine. Builds body
> and adds a real red wine flavor. The oak barrel treatment will really

help
> this wine if you can go that route.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA
>
> "Joe Ae" > wrote in message
> > The juice readings we TA : 1.42%, Brix : 19.5 adjusted to 22
> > I don't have a ph meter. I am not confident of the TA reading of the
> > finished wine but I am guessing it is around 0.9%.

Joe Ae