W ä l r ü s

Default Alternative to racking?

Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning, which
is something my shakey hands have trouble with.

Thanks!

Tom S

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
> to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning,

which
> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.

Forget it. It'll plug up within a liter or two - if you're _lucky_. Less
if you're not.

There simply is no good substitute for racking. It's the primary means for
separating liquid from solids - even at commercial wineries.

If you're having trouble doing it yourself, get an "apprentice" to help you.
You should be able to draft someone who will work _cheap_ -

- but you shouldn't ask them to work _dry_! :^D

Tom S

Tom S

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
> to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning,

which
> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.

Forget it. It'll plug up within a liter or two - if you're _lucky_. Less
if you're not.

There simply is no good substitute for racking. It's the primary means for
separating liquid from solids - even at commercial wineries.

If you're having trouble doing it yourself, get an "apprentice" to help you.
You should be able to draft someone who will work _cheap_ -

- but you shouldn't ask them to work _dry_! :^D

Tom S

Tom S

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
> to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning,

which
> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.

Forget it. It'll plug up within a liter or two - if you're _lucky_. Less
if you're not.

There simply is no good substitute for racking. It's the primary means for
separating liquid from solids - even at commercial wineries.

If you're having trouble doing it yourself, get an "apprentice" to help you.
You should be able to draft someone who will work _cheap_ -

- but you shouldn't ask them to work _dry_! :^D

Tom S

Dar V

If this is the first time you are racking your wine, Tom's right; your
filter will plug up very quickly. Besides, some light sediment may not
get caught in the coffee filter. Racking is something you will get better
at the more you do it. Tom has a good idea, get some help. Another option
might be to siphon as much as you can yourself, until you feel you're
disturbing the sediment, then stop the siphon. Most of the sediment is in
the bottom of the carboy to begin with, the last inch or so is where is gets
tricky. Then try to pour what liquid is left (hopefully not a lot) into
another container and then try putting that through a coffee filter. Make
sure though that this doesn't take a long time, you don't want your wine
exposed to too much air.
Darlene

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
> to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning,

which
> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.
>
> Thanks!

Dar V

If this is the first time you are racking your wine, Tom's right; your
filter will plug up very quickly. Besides, some light sediment may not
get caught in the coffee filter. Racking is something you will get better
at the more you do it. Tom has a good idea, get some help. Another option
might be to siphon as much as you can yourself, until you feel you're
disturbing the sediment, then stop the siphon. Most of the sediment is in
the bottom of the carboy to begin with, the last inch or so is where is gets
tricky. Then try to pour what liquid is left (hopefully not a lot) into
another container and then try putting that through a coffee filter. Make
sure though that this doesn't take a long time, you don't want your wine
exposed to too much air.
Darlene

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
> to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning,

which
> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.
>
> Thanks!

Dar V

If this is the first time you are racking your wine, Tom's right; your
filter will plug up very quickly. Besides, some light sediment may not
get caught in the coffee filter. Racking is something you will get better
at the more you do it. Tom has a good idea, get some help. Another option
might be to siphon as much as you can yourself, until you feel you're
disturbing the sediment, then stop the siphon. Most of the sediment is in
the bottom of the carboy to begin with, the last inch or so is where is gets
tricky. Then try to pour what liquid is left (hopefully not a lot) into
another container and then try putting that through a coffee filter. Make
sure though that this doesn't take a long time, you don't want your wine
exposed to too much air.
Darlene

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
> to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning,

which
> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.
>
> Thanks!

frederick ploegman

Try clipping a clothes pin onto your racking wand and rest the clothes
pin against the lip of the carboy. The wand will remain steady and you
can move the wand downward by gently pressing on it so it slides
through the clothes pin. HTH

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
> to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning,

which
> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.
>
> Thanks!

frederick ploegman

Try clipping a clothes pin onto your racking wand and rest the clothes
pin against the lip of the carboy. The wand will remain steady and you
can move the wand downward by gently pressing on it so it slides
through the clothes pin. HTH

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
> to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning,

which
> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.
>
> Thanks!

frederick ploegman

Try clipping a clothes pin onto your racking wand and rest the clothes
pin against the lip of the carboy. The wand will remain steady and you
can move the wand downward by gently pressing on it so it slides
through the clothes pin. HTH

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
> to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning,

which
> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.
>
> Thanks!

Paul E. Lehmann

Tom S wrote:

> "W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am
>> about to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while
>> siphoning,

> which
>> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.

> Forget it. It'll plug up within a liter or two - if you're _lucky_. Less
> if you're not.
>
> There simply is no good substitute for racking. It's the primary means
> for separating liquid from solids - even at commercial wineries.
>
> If you're having trouble doing it yourself, get an "apprentice" to help
> you. You should be able to draft someone who will work _cheap_ -
>
> - but you shouldn't ask them to work _dry_! :^D
>
> Tom S

AND - reward them for their help - AFTER your racking chores are complete
Paul E. Lehmann

Tom S wrote:

> "W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am
>> about to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while
>> siphoning,

> which
>> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.

> Forget it. It'll plug up within a liter or two - if you're _lucky_. Less
> if you're not.
>
> There simply is no good substitute for racking. It's the primary means
> for separating liquid from solids - even at commercial wineries.
>
> If you're having trouble doing it yourself, get an "apprentice" to help
> you. You should be able to draft someone who will work _cheap_ -
>
> - but you shouldn't ask them to work _dry_! :^D
>
> Tom S

AND - reward them for their help - AFTER your racking chores are complete
Paul E. Lehmann

Tom S wrote:

> "W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am
>> about to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while
>> siphoning,

> which
>> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.

> Forget it. It'll plug up within a liter or two - if you're _lucky_. Less
> if you're not.
>
> There simply is no good substitute for racking. It's the primary means
> for separating liquid from solids - even at commercial wineries.
>
> If you're having trouble doing it yourself, get an "apprentice" to help
> you. You should be able to draft someone who will work _cheap_ -
>
> - but you shouldn't ask them to work _dry_! :^D
>
> Tom S

AND - reward them for their help - AFTER your racking chores are complete
Ray

They make a special clip that will pob onto the racking wand and can be
slipped up and down the wand. You can clip it so that it only reachs half
way down the carboy. Start the racking and then you can slid it down to the
bottom as the racking progresses. Another trick that can help even more is
to tape the tube to the side of the table so that moving the discharge end
will not effect the intake end.

Ray

"W ä l r ü s" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can pouring your mix through a coffee filter work as racking? I am about
> to rack & don't want to spill any sediment or disturb while siphoning,

which
> is something my shakey hands have trouble with.
>
> Thanks!

Ray

They make a special clip that will pob onto the racking wand and can be
slipped up and down the wand. You can clip it so that it only reachs half
way down the carboy. Start the racking and then you can slid it down to the
bottom as the racking progresses. Another trick that can help even more is
to tape the tube to the side of the table so that moving the discharge end
will not effect the intake end.

Ray

ink.net...

Racking Suzanne Winemaking 2 15-03-2006 05:37 PM
After First Racking Pat Kennedy Winemaking 3 14-10-2005 09:35 PM
First racking Ric Winemaking 2 10-10-2005 04:19 AM
Racking joe rosati Winemaking 16 16-03-2005 01:23 PM
first racking Dave Allyn Winemaking 6 19-10-2003 08:54 PM