Walt

Default Newbie help - Oak or not??

Please help a newbie. I have three 5 gal. glass carboys of wine (merlot,
cab. sav. and cherry) made from concentrate ready for a final rack before
bottling. I started these batches in Jan. of this year. I have oak chips
that were purchased at a wine supply store. The question is, do I add the
oak chips now and for how long? OR, Should I not add the chips at all? Thank
You.

Ray

If you like oak, add them. I like a lot of oak in my reds but I added some
to my last batch of cherry and did not like the result. Then that is a
personal matter.

Current wisdom says that the earlier you add the oak the better. Many add
it during primary or secondary or both. Others add it during bulk aging. I
tried some that red that had been bulk aging for 2 years and decided it
needed oak so I added it then. It just means that it will need to bulk age
some more.

Final rule: It is never to early and it is never too late. ;o)

Ray

"Walt" > wrote in message
> Please help a newbie. I have three 5 gal. glass carboys of wine (merlot,
> cab. sav. and cherry) made from concentrate ready for a final rack before
> bottling. I started these batches in Jan. of this year. I have oak chips
> that were purchased at a wine supply store. The question is, do I add the
> oak chips now and for how long? OR, Should I not add the chips at all?

Thank
> You.

Ray

"Walt" > wrote in message
> Please help a newbie. I have three 5 gal. glass carboys of wine (merlot,
> cab. sav. and cherry) made from concentrate ready for a final rack before
> bottling. I started these batches in Jan. of this year. I have oak chips
> that were purchased at a wine supply store. The question is, do I add the
> oak chips now and for how long? OR, Should I not add the chips at all?

Thank
> You.

Tom S

"Walt" > wrote in message
> Please help a newbie. I have three 5 gal. glass carboys of wine (merlot,
> cab. sav. and cherry) made from concentrate ready for a final rack before
> bottling. I started these batches in Jan. of this year. I have oak chips
> that were purchased at a wine supply store. The question is, do I add the
> oak chips now and for how long? OR, Should I not add the chips at all?

Thank
> You.

It would have been better to have gotten the oak in earlier, but now is
still OK. Cab & Merlot yes; cherry no (oak).

Tom S

Tom S

"Walt" > wrote in message
> Please help a newbie. I have three 5 gal. glass carboys of wine (merlot,
> cab. sav. and cherry) made from concentrate ready for a final rack before
> bottling. I started these batches in Jan. of this year. I have oak chips
> that were purchased at a wine supply store. The question is, do I add the
> oak chips now and for how long? OR, Should I not add the chips at all?

Thank
> You.

It would have been better to have gotten the oak in earlier, but now is
still OK. Cab & Merlot yes; cherry no (oak).

Tom S

newbie craftydragon1951 General Cooking 22 04-04-2006 07:00 AM
Newbie Q's Bulletsnbrains Winemaking 6 12-03-2006 11:28 PM
A NEWBIE HERE!!!.... arem_29 Recipes 1 30-09-2005 03:54 PM
newbie following newbie pu er threads Lara Burton Tea 12 29-08-2005 05:26 PM