Geg Boyd

Default White Mold

Could use a hand here guys .
We are making up a barrel of vinegar . The 16 gallons that we have put in
the barrel has a layer of white stuff growing on it . It has only been in
the barrel for 5 days , inoculated with 3 gallons of our culture.
The question is should we sterilize it and start over .Let the culture try
and go through it's path ?

Any ideas guys ?
Greg

--

Because of a "feature " my ISP is supplying me , if your account does not
have a reverse dns , your mail will bounce . If it does , please let me know

Lum

"Geg Boyd" > wrote in message
> Could use a hand here guys .
> We are making up a barrel of vinegar . The 16 gallons that we have put in
> the barrel has a layer of white stuff growing on it . It has only been in
> the barrel for 5 days , inoculated with 3 gallons of our culture.
> The question is should we sterilize it and start over .Let the culture try
> and go through it's path ?
>
> Any ideas guys ?
> Greg

Greg,
The vinegar bacteria ("acetobacter") needs oxygen to convert alcohol into
acetic acid. It likes to float on the surface where it is exposed to lots
of air, and after a few days, it can form a rather thick, white layer.
All is well. Do not sterilize and start over.
Vinegar improves with age just like wine, so high quality vinegar is often
aged in barrels for several years.
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Geg Boyd

Lum , that's what I was hoping . The previous batches were all in 1 gallon
glass jars , but it didn't look quite like this . We are only concerned
because none of the other 3 gall batches did this .
We'll go full steam ahead , after all , how can vinegar go bad ? Turn to
wine ? ( grin)

Regards ,
Greg