Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White mold on blueberries - salvageable?

Hi - posting from google groups 'cause I'm on the road and w/ a
different computer.

I brought a container of fresh blueberries with me - they haven't been
refrigerated for the last two days and they'd already been in my
refrigerator for about a week before I left. Now they are starting to
show some white "stuff," which I assume is mold, in a spot or two.

Are they still safe to eat in any form and, if so, should I wash the
white stuff off, should I just try to avoid the ones that have the
mold already on them, etc.? I imagine there is a scientific answer
here but I'd appreciate a practical one. Obviously I don't want to
give myself food poisoning but I'm hoping this white stuff isn't so
terrible - you tell me, please. Today is Friday - I'd love to find a
way to get another day or two, and another handful or two, out of
them, not so much for frugality's sake as because I'm busy and getting
to a grocery store will be tough.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Old 09-09-2011, 03:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 9, 5:23*am, Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

dump them. I wouldn't eat them.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Try 'em. If you get sick then you'll know better next time.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes there is a fine whitish dust on the surface of the berries. I
think this is normal mold. If it is spots here and there and they're more
dense I'd wash them off and eat. I've never had a problem with that. I eat
blueberries every day and now and then I wash. If it's a few throw out the
highly spotty ones, and wash and eat.

If you're going to cook them, as with blueberry pancakes, I think the risk
of anything adverse would be lessened. When I make blueberry pancakes the
blueberry gets very hot, not boiling, but hot, to the point where you have
to wait a bit before consumption.

Kent

Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 07:17:45 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
wrote:

[...]

Pick out the moldy blueberries, use the rest.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" wrote

Hi - posting from google groups 'cause I'm on the road and w/ a
different computer.

I brought a container of fresh blueberries with me - they haven't been
refrigerated for the last two days and they'd already been in my
refrigerator for about a week before I left. Now they are starting to
show some white "stuff," which I assume is mold, in a spot or two.

Are they still safe to eat in any form and, if so, should I wash the
white stuff off, should I just try to avoid the ones that have the
mold already on them, etc.?

Depending on condition, if it was just a few I may wash and eat the good
ones. On the road, I'd definitely not want to get sick. I'd toss them.

I can see you now, intestines screaming for release the the sign says "next
rest stop 50 miles"

Old 13-09-2011, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Steve Freides" wrote

Hi - posting from google groups 'cause I'm on the road and w/ a
different computer.

I brought a container of fresh blueberries with me - they haven't
been refrigerated for the last two days and they'd already been in my
refrigerator for about a week before I left. Now they are starting
to show some white "stuff," which I assume is mold, in a spot or two.

Are they still safe to eat in any form and, if so, should I wash the
white stuff off, should I just try to avoid the ones that have the
mold already on them, etc.?

Depending on condition, if it was just a few I may wash and eat the
good ones. On the road, I'd definitely not want to get sick. I'd
toss them.
I can see you now, intestines screaming for release the the sign says
"next rest stop 50 miles"

I'm reporting in - I didn't die or otherwise suffer any ill effect from
the white mold I washed off the blueberries. I had more of them this
morning, Monday, but I'm going to get rid of the rest and buy new later
today.

-S-

Old 13-09-2011, 05:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 13, 7:54*am, "Steve Freides" wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Steve Freides" wrote

[...]

Well, there ya go, cupcake.
Old 13-09-2011, 05:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I have wild blueberries on my property.
They always have "white" powder on them.
Don't sweat it, it won't hurt you.
Once blueberries are washed they should be either
processed further or frozen or they will mold.
Old 13-09-2011, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2011 12:15 PM, Roy wrote:
I have wild blueberries on my property.
They always have "white" powder on them.
Don't sweat it, it won't hurt you.
Once blueberries are washed they should be either
processed further or frozen or they will mold.

I suppose they do. Is the whiteness due to wild yeasts like on grapes?

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Old 13-09-2011, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 9, 2011 6:23:16 AM UTC-6, Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

Excerpt from the Boston Globe:

Blueberries always seem to be covered with a fine white powder that washes off with water. What is it? Mold?

It is called bloom and is completely natural and safe to eat - a waxy material the plant produces to protect the berries from sunlight and to hold in moisture. You could think of it as a sort of ChapStick.

You should actually look for blueberries with a bloom. This indicates they have not been handled excessively. Once the bloom is gone, the berries will spoil more quickly, so it's best to wash blueberries just before using them.

Mold is quite another matter: It should be easy to distinguish from bloom, because it's much fuzzier and won't just rub

Old 13-09-2011, 09:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

What if my sponsor said it was fermented and if I eat it I would have to
pick up a chip,--Just sayin whatif?

"Chemo the Clown" wrote in message
On Sep 13, 7:54 am, "Steve Freides" wrote:
"Steve Freides" wrote

Old 13-09-2011, 09:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 13, 12:15*pm, Roy wrote:
I have wild blueberries on my property.
They always have "white" powder on them.
Don't sweat it, it won't hurt you.
Once blueberries are washed they should be either
processed further or frozen or they will mold.

What if it is deer snot? They do not eat everyone they lick.

Old 13-09-2011, 10:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/2011 4:42 PM, merryb wrote:
On Sep 13, 1:38 pm, Catfood wrote:
On Sep 13, 12:15 pm, wrote:

I have wild blueberries on my property.
They always have "white" powder on them.
Don't sweat it, it won't hurt you.
Once blueberries are washed they should be either
processed further or frozen or they will mold.

What if it is deer snot? They do not eat everyone they lick.

LOL!!

You name what they don't eat! The only thing I know is Periwinkle (Vinca
minor). They eat houseplants, English Ivy, Pachysandra, Prickly Pear and
on and on!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

white, waxy mold on top of wine in carboy??? [email protected] Winemaking 0 12-06-2016 01:38 AM
China Mold Manufacturers B2B Directory - Mold Sources n41beyha[_2_] General Cooking 0 14-04-2008 05:01 AM
WHITE MOLD Keggor Sourdough 3 01-07-2005 03:47 AM
Blueberries Tepe Winemaking 1 03-07-2004 02:08 AM
White Mold Geg Boyd Winemaking 2 22-06-2004 12:05 AM