Jeff Chorniak

Default cab franc leaves

On some of my largest, older cab franc leaves (basal), I am noticing what
appears to be a slight burning on the tips of the leaves. Otherwise the
leaves look good. Good color. Good size, etc.

Any ideas to suggest what might cause this? A deficiency of some sort?
"General Viticulture" has a paragraph that suggests high sodium, but I'm not
sure how that would happen.

Regards
Jeff Chorniak

Joe Yudelson

Hi: Browning at the edges of grape leaves usually signifies potassium
deficiency. I would spread about l/2 pound of potassuium chloride per
plant. It should be applied in a straight line (concentrated) about one
foot on each side of the trunk. It can be applied any time. Potasium
chloride is usually sold at the fertilizer distributors as potash muriate.

Joe.
> On some of my largest, older cab franc leaves (basal), I am noticing what
> appears to be a slight burning on the tips of the leaves. Otherwise the
> leaves look good. Good color. Good size, etc.
>
> Any ideas to suggest what might cause this? A deficiency of some sort?
> "General Viticulture" has a paragraph that suggests high sodium, but I'm

not
> sure how that would happen.
>
> Regards
> Jeff Chorniak

Tom S

"Joe Yudelson" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hi: Browning at the edges of grape leaves usually signifies potassium
> deficiency. I would spread about l/2 pound of potassuium chloride per
> plant.

If potassium deficiency is the problem, wouldn't potassium phosphate or
potassium nitrate be more appropriate? I'd expect that the nitrogen or
phosphorus would be more useful to the plants than chloride.

Tom S

MikeMTM

Jeff,

I had a similar problem where the leaves took on a purplish outline as
well. Like Joe, I also figured on potassium deficiency, and saved my
fireplace ashes that winter. A large cupful scattered under each vine
every few years keeps the problem at bay. It works for the small vineyard.

[Thought I posted this several days ago. Sorry.]
--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

bob

Jeff,

If the burn is only at the tip of the leaf I would suspect your
fungicide spray was mixed too strong. The spray has a tendency to
flow down to the end of the leaf and if it is too concentrated , will
burn the tip. I also think it's too early for potassium deficiency to
show but I don't know where you live. Also, if it is potassium
deficiency, mulching the vine after giving it ALOT of water will help
the roots absorb the potassium out of the soil. THe vine like all
plants needs moisture to get the nutrients out of the soil. It's why
potassium deficiency is more likely on sandy soils. I have basically
eliminated any potassium defifiency symptoms from my vineyard just by
making sure I mulched the area of the vineyard that was driest which
also coincided with P symptoms. I didn't use any P fertilizer or
ashes.

Hope this helps.

Bob

TN: Mostly Cab Franc DaleW Wine 4 23-10-2015 07:33 PM
Pairing Cab Franc Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 15 01-04-2008 09:05 AM
Cabernet franc Jose Wine 26 10-11-2005 08:46 AM
cab franc dying Jeff Chorniak Winemaking 2 02-06-2004 01:05 PM
Cab Franc H2S - 3+ Weeks Old! Patrick McDonald Winemaking 8 03-12-2003 01:44 PM