Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pairing Cab Franc

Hello
Our tasting group, the AAB, will meet over wines from Loire. Anybody
familiar with something "typically" Angevin or Tourraine that goes well with
Cab Franc? The only dish relating to the Loire (except sopme cheeses) I can
think of is quenelle de brochet en sauce ecrevisse and I doubt that goes
with a red.
TIA
Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in
:

> Hello
> Our tasting group, the AAB, will meet over wines from Loire. Anybody
> familiar with something "typically" Angevin or Tourraine that goes
> well with Cab Franc? The only dish relating to the Loire (except sopme
> cheeses) I can think of is quenelle de brochet en sauce ecrevisse and
> I doubt that goes with a red.

I have been travelling the Loire for six years now, and I must recognize
that I lack enough knowledge for giving the right suggestions. Even if the
upper class restaurants that I have visited offered great french cooking,
but not distinctly angevine.

The only thing I could recommend is andouillette, but it is also offered in
other parts of France. Regional cheeses I would serve with Chenin and not
CabFranc, but you knew that.

I really look forward other replies to this thread to make good use of them
in my next trip.

Best,

Santiago
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 8:06�am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> Hello
> Our tasting group, the AAB, will meet over wines from Loire. Anybody
> familiar with something "typically" Angevin or Tourraine that goes well with
> Cab Franc? The only dish relating to the Loire (except sopme cheeses) I can
> think of is quenelle de brochet en sauce ecrevisse and I doubt that goes
> with a red.
> TIA
> Nils

I'll also be interested in responses (Emery, calling Emery). Other
than shellfish, I have no clear idea of Loire cuisine. I usually think
of Loire Cab Franc as a wine for roast chicken, rilletes/pate, maybe
duck. No idea how authentic that is.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 10:40Â*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Mar 30, 8:06�am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
>
> > wrote:
> > Hello
> > Our tasting group, the AAB, will meet over wines from Loire. Anybody
> > familiar with something "typically" Angevin or Tourraine that goes well with
> > Cab Franc? The only dish relating to the Loire (except sopme cheeses) I can
> > think of is quenelle de brochet en sauce ecrevisse and I doubt that goes
> > with a red.
> > TIA
> > Nils

> I'll also be interested in responses (Emery, calling Emery). Other
> than shellfish, I have no clear idea of Loire cuisine. I usually think
> of Loire Cab Franc as a wine for roast chicken, rilletes/pate, maybe
> duck. No idea how authentic that is.

I found the Loire cuisine to be quite broad with plenty of fish and
seafood. There is usually a crock or container of rilletes of pork on
the table. It seemed that Shepard's Pie was a popular dish in cafes,
bistros and restaurants with the meat being beef not lamb and rabbit
(lapin)seemed quite popular.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in
:

>> maybe duck. No idea how authentic that is.

> I found the Loire cuisine to be quite broad with plenty of fish and
> seafood. There is usually a crock or container of rilletes of pork on
> the table. It seemed that Shepard's Pie was a popular dish in cafes,
> bistros and restaurants with the meat being beef not lamb and rabbit
> (lapin)seemed quite popular.

I would agree that Rabbit and Duck come to mind as the meats that I have
seen featured in Loire Valley restaurants-but then I look for those two so
maybe not so special ;-)
--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

.... and, to quote Dale, where is Emery?

Cheers

Nils
"Joseph Coulter" > skrev i meddelandet
. 97.136...
> "Bi!!" > wrote in
> :
>

>>> maybe duck. No idea how authentic that is.

>> I found the Loire cuisine to be quite broad with plenty of fish and
>> seafood. There is usually a crock or container of rilletes of pork on
>> the table. It seemed that Shepard's Pie was a popular dish in cafes,
>> bistros and restaurants with the meat being beef not lamb and rabbit
>> (lapin)seemed quite popular.
>>

> I would agree that Rabbit and Duck come to mind as the meats that I have
> seen featured in Loire Valley restaurants-but then I look for those two so
> maybe not so special ;-)
> --
> Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
> www.josephcoulter.com
>
> 877 832 2021
> 904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ack! He's 'ere. But bewildered by the question. Of course the "Loire"
is too big
an area to have only one regional cuisine (oysters in Nantes, but not in
Roanne.)

But I really don't know what the proper regional cuisine is in the
Anjou/Touraine. Seems
to me this is really the seat of "haute cuisine francaise," so any of
the grand preparations
would apply.

I think Rillettes are more associated with the Sarthe, which is a
northern border and
part of the Pays de Loire if not the Touraine. (And chenin is grown
there, not Cabernet.)
Hachis parmentier (shepards pie made with beef) might be found in any
bistro in France,
I wouldn't be surprised if any number of regions (including perhaps the
Anjou etc) took
credit for it. Andouillette comes from all over, here the most famous
is from Vire, east
of Paris I think it comes from Troyes. (I'm sure in the Anjou they say
the best comes
from there, too.)

Rillons? Galantine? Those would work with the cabernet. A galantine is
a huge prep
and very festive, I'm pretty sure that's where it comes from. I'd go
with that.

Tarte aux poires et Sainte Maure? If that's not regional, I don't know
what is!
Be a real test for your wines, too. Ha, survive this!

I seem to think there was once salmon in the Loire, not sure if that
exists even
conceptually any more.

Big hunting area and not that far from Sologne, so any woodcock, partridge,
pheasant. Lots of chickens raised in the Sarthe (home of French industrial
chicken production.)

I'll ask around, maybe someone will have an idea.

Anyway, we've got a munged chef and a slow food ossifer in the group, they
should know more about it than me...

-E

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> ... and, to quote Dale, where is Emery?
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils
> "Joseph Coulter" > skrev i meddelandet
> . 97.136...
>> "Bi!!" > wrote in
>> :

>>> I found the Loire cuisine to be quite broad with plenty of fish and
>>> seafood. There is usually a crock or container of rilletes of pork on
>>> the table. It seemed that Shepard's Pie was a popular dish in cafes,
>>> bistros and restaurants with the meat being beef not lamb and rabbit
>>> (lapin)seemed quite popular.
>>>

>> I would agree that Rabbit and Duck come to mind as the meats that I have
>> seen featured in Loire Valley restaurants-but then I look for those
>> two so
>> maybe not so special ;-)
>> --
>> Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
>> www.josephcoulter.com
>>
>> 877 832 2021
>> 904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> Hello Emery
>
> I have thought of cuisse de canard confit with lentilles de Puy.
> Does that strike you as a possibility?

Sure, the confit will be fine, I'm not too sure about the lentils but
with enough salt and duck fat...

-E

Posted to alt.food.wine
PK PK is offline

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in message
> Hello
> Our tasting group, the AAB, will meet over wines from Loire. Anybody
> familiar with something "typically" Angevin or Tourraine that goes well
> with Cab Franc? The only dish relating to the Loire (except sopme cheeses)
> I can think of is quenelle de brochet en sauce ecrevisse and I doubt that
> goes with a red.
> TIA
> Nils

At a wine course I recently attended, the tutor remarked - while showing a
Loire Cab Franc - that most of the (better) Cab Fran from the Loire is
supped in Paris Bistros as the next notch up from the basic house red. So
perhaps that indicates a style for you?

pk

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> I _like_ lentils, with brunoise of carrots, leek, and a whiff of sage ...
> yum. Also some smoked pork or ham to liven it up a bit. What would you serve
> with the confit de canard?

Nils, I like lentils a lot too. We often have them as a main dish, cooked
then sauteed with a little sweet onion finely chopped and lots of Nyons
olive oil.

With the confit I'd go with saute de cepes et petites charlottes.

Or maybe you could work the Ste Maure back in, with some sort of gratin?

What are the wines? I tried looking on the Systembolaget, but couldn't
seem to
actually get to any wine...

-E
> Cheers
> Nils
> "Emery Davis" > skrev i meddelandet
>> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>>> Hello Emery
>>>
>>> I have thought of cuisse de canard confit with lentilles de Puy.
>>> Does that strike you as a possibility?
>>>

>> Sure, the confit will be fine, I'm not too sure about the lentils but
>> with enough salt and duck fat...
>>
>> -E

Posted to alt.food.wine

I _like_ lentils, with brunoise of carrots, leek, and a whiff of sage ...
yum. Also some smoked pork or ham to liven it up a bit. What would you serve
with the confit de canard?
Cheers
Nils
"Emery Davis" > skrev i meddelandet
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>> Hello Emery
>>
>> I have thought of cuisse de canard confit with lentilles de Puy.
>> Does that strike you as a possibility?
>>

> Sure, the confit will be fine, I'm not too sure about the lentils but
> with enough salt and duck fat...
>
> -E

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> God forbid I should be restricted to buying wines on Systembolaget ... they
> did have Les perruches, a Loire CabF we tasted at the 3-honors course, and
> it was a total disaster, heartily hated by all present ... no, I am tinking

What year and cuvee Perruches (a Saumur Champigny with a somewhat aggressive
style) did you have? I've found the basic cuvee to be pretty good in an
atypical sort
of way, but lots of bottle variation. I poured 2 down the drain a
couple of weeks ago,
but the 3rd was OK (2005).

> about a magnum Clos de l'Echo 1986 I bought on an auction. The Chinon
> CabFrancs of the 80s drink beautifully and are surprisingly full of primary
> aromas, a must in this tasting group where mature notes are seen as
> deficiencies.

86 was a pretty good year in Chinon, I have a few Lamberts left but haven't
looked at them in years. Should be nice.

Of course if you can get hold of some 89...
> Hah, we all have mature notes as I am the youngest, crowding 59! I will not
> expand on this line of thought, however, as it could get personal.
> So, sauté de cepes and shallots, eh? Hmmmm ... I'll give it a thought ... I
> just do love my confit de canard with lentils ...

Aie! La charlotte is a potato. I should have said de la Ratte, you'd
have been
making fricassee of rats!

-E

> Cheers
> Nils
>
> "Emery Davis" > skrev i meddelandet
>> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>>> I _like_ lentils, with brunoise of carrots, leek, and a whiff of sage ...
>>> yum. Also some smoked pork or ham to liven it up a bit. What would you
>>> serve with the confit de canard?

>> Nils, I like lentils a lot too. We often have them as a main dish, cooked
>> then sauteed with a little sweet onion finely chopped and lots of Nyons
>> olive oil.
>>
>> With the confit I'd go with saute de cepes et petites charlottes.
>>
>> Or maybe you could work the Ste Maure back in, with some sort of gratin?
>>
>> What are the wines? I tried looking on the Systembolaget, but couldn't
>> seem to
>> actually get to any wine...
>>
>> -E
>>> Cheers
>>> Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

God forbid I should be restricted to buying wines on Systembolaget ... they
did have Les perruches, a Loire CabF we tasted at the 3-honors course, and
it was a total disaster, heartily hated by all present ... no, I am tinking
about a magnum Clos de l'Echo 1986 I bought on an auction. The Chinon
CabFrancs of the 80s drink beautifully and are surprisingly full of primary
aromas, a must in this tasting group where mature notes are seen as
deficiencies.
Hah, we all have mature notes as I am the youngest, crowding 59! I will not
expand on this line of thought, however, as it could get personal.
So, sauté de cepes and shallots, eh? Hmmmm ... I'll give it a thought ... I
just do love my confit de canard with lentils ...
Cheers
Nils

"Emery Davis" > skrev i meddelandet
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>> I _like_ lentils, with brunoise of carrots, leek, and a whiff of sage ...
>> yum. Also some smoked pork or ham to liven it up a bit. What would you
>> serve with the confit de canard?

> Nils, I like lentils a lot too. We often have them as a main dish, cooked
> then sauteed with a little sweet onion finely chopped and lots of Nyons
> olive oil.
>
> With the confit I'd go with saute de cepes et petites charlottes.
>
> Or maybe you could work the Ste Maure back in, with some sort of gratin?
>
> What are the wines? I tried looking on the Systembolaget, but couldn't
> seem to
> actually get to any wine...
>
> -E
>> Cheers
>> Nils

>>> Sure, the confit will be fine, I'm not too sure about the lentils but
>>> with enough salt and duck fat...
>>>
>>> -E

Posted to alt.food.wine

Great note! That sounds like the "top" cuvee, I tried it in 2004 and
had a similar reaction.
Oak cudgel indeed! It would be hard to think of a less typical example
from the appellation...

-E

TN: Mostly Cab Franc DaleW Wine 4 23-10-2015 07:33 PM
TN: good Cab Franc DaleW Wine 0 30-06-2009 02:35 PM
TN: Loire Cab Franc DaleW Wine 0 26-02-2008 01:34 PM
Cabernet franc Jose Wine 26 10-11-2005 08:46 AM
Does anyone know if there are Cab Franc kits ? reply@grouponly Winemaking 5 31-08-2004 10:15 PM